Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me please. Black tie dinner to go to; do I have to wear long?

(8 Posts)
orangina Fri 19-Aug-11 14:26:46

Title says it all really. I have to go to a black tie dinner of DH's client. Do I have to wear long? If so, then the only long black tie style dress that I have is something that I wore to said Client's daughter's wedding. Can I wear it again? Or do I have to go frock shopping?

Thanks!

orangina Fri 19-Aug-11 14:27:10

(wedding was about 2 years ago btw......)

worldgonecrazy Fri 19-Aug-11 14:30:18

You don't have to wear long if you have a nice evening dress. But then again, if you have an excuse to go frock shopping why not?

Ephiny Fri 19-Aug-11 14:35:17

It depends how posh it is, but I would think a knee-length dress would be fine. Has been for black-tie events I've been to anyway.

Wouldn't worry about wearing the same dress again though, if you think that's the most appropriate one you've got. Even if anyone notices - what's the problem? I'm not embarassed by people knowing I wear items of clothing more than once confused.

Ephiny Fri 19-Aug-11 14:36:10

If you want to go frock shopping, though, then I agree, why not!

orangina Fri 19-Aug-11 14:41:43

You are all marvellous! I can't face frock shopping (I want to lose 5kg, would rather frock shop AFTER losing the weight...), so might just go for the existing long. I also have an existing shorter dress, might treat myself to new shoes and jacket instead.....

Yay, thanks! smile

OTheHugeRaveningWolef Fri 19-Aug-11 14:46:31

White tie I'd say long dress. Black tie, not necessarily as long as it's a smart one.

orangina Fri 19-Aug-11 14:53:14

That is the perfect answer OTheHuge..... thank you! I have a pathological fear of being overdressed, so will leave the long dress hanging for the time being....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now