Talk

Advanced search

Beauty spas in Co. Down or Co. Antrim NI?

(22 Posts)
TryLikingClarity Thu 18-Aug-11 08:49:27

Does anyone have have recommendations for a good (but not crushingly expensive) beauty day spa in Co. Down or Co. Antrim?

It's for a girly day out for myself and two friends - we are all in need of a bit of a treat, as we've all had a tough past few months.

I've been looking online, but sometimes it's hard to see past all the fancy websites and I'd like some actual feedback from real people!

Any suggestions would be helpful, we're planning to organise it for sometime in Sept or Oct.

TIA.

iamsuchachicken Thu 18-Aug-11 08:58:35

Galgorm Spa is nice TLC

If you could come a bit further north to Coleraine area, either Nirvana Day Spa or Springwell Manor are good too

HTH

TryLikingClarity Thu 18-Aug-11 10:09:12

Galgorm is a strong possibility.

Will check out the other two and see how they look.

onelily Thu 18-Aug-11 10:56:12

try through wahanda or spabreaks. last month got myself a great discount on it.

Millie1 Thu 18-Aug-11 14:31:46

Haven't been but what about the spa at The Culloden in Holywood. Hotel is lovely, imagine spa must be good?

liftthatup Thu 18-Aug-11 14:36:52

I have been to the spa at Culloden and it WAS lovely! However, as you said, you do pay through the nose... Someone told me (I think...) that the Slieve Donard spa was good but I've no experience of it and don't know prices. Isn't there one near Limavady? Maybe The Radisson? I think you can get good deals there smile

thiswilloutmeinrl Thu 18-Aug-11 15:07:26

The Radisson at Limavady is nowhere near as good as Culloden or Galgorm IMHO

Never been to the Slieve Donard Spa though so can't comment on that

jennymac Thu 18-Aug-11 15:16:18

A friend has been to the Slieve Donard several times and says it is gorgeous but is eye-wateringly expensive! I have been to the Galgorm and it is really nice and they do good deals.

TryLikingClarity Thu 18-Aug-11 15:29:19

Ohh, getting excited now bout getting something booked.

Going to look at the websites of the places you ladies have mentioned and see where does good deals.

smile

liftthatup Thu 18-Aug-11 15:40:45

Galgorm sounds like the one to start with if they have tempting deals...grin Am now wondering if I too need a spa break. On my own. With no responsibilities. On my own... Yes. I think I do need a spa break. Immediately.

Millie1 Thu 18-Aug-11 15:50:29

envy

woopsidaisy Thu 18-Aug-11 15:51:12

The Culloden is IMO very over-rated. A friend went there recently with some pals for a girly day out and was so disappointed.
It has marketed itself as the bee-all and end-all for Northern Ireland hotels. But it has a lot to learn about service! The problem is it doesn't have enough serious competition.
Isn't there a spa at the Merchant Hotel now too? Might be worth taking a look. Although I don't think it is a particularly fabulous place either.
Not much use am I? grin

thiswilloutmeinrl Thu 18-Aug-11 16:30:47

The Merchant as a hotel is lovely.

The Spa is extortionate price wise. I think.

iWILLdothis Thu 18-Aug-11 17:29:27

I've been to Galgorm several times. If going for girlie day with friends, I recommend the package for roughly £50 each where you get 2hrs use of thermal suite facilities and your lunch in the Gillies Bar included.
I once had a hot stone massage there but didn't enjoy it. I filled in the very detailed questionnaire beforehand, stating that I wanted my back and shoulders concentrated on, but for about an hour's massage, only about 10mins were spent on this area. All the rest was basically tickling the toes & legs. Then to top it all, just when I was trying to relax, the fire alarm went off and the therapist went off, leaving me there naked (but covered in towels obv.) to see what was up and seemed like AGES before she returned. Grrrr.

So..... in summary, EXCELLENT for thermal suite and sharing the experience with your friends and DELICIOUS lunch (which you can eat in your robe in separate area of restaurant) but if I were you, I'd avoid expensive single treatments. HTH

ChablisLover Thu 18-Aug-11 17:56:10

Galgorm wins it hands down for me. Beautiful place. They do overnight spa breaks too. Rooms are lush and lunch in gillies you couldn't beat it with a big stick to be norn Irish!

thiswilloutmeinrl Thu 18-Aug-11 18:38:13

I agree. Galgorm is the best of the bunch and the lunch in Gillies will be yummee you know that wink

woopsidaisy Thu 18-Aug-11 18:39:24

Hmmm,think I need to book a girlie weekend in the Galgorm myself!

thiswilloutmeinrl Thu 18-Aug-11 18:42:53

Galgorm is lovely and the setting is gorgeous.

You simply must report back on where you pick TLC and how it goes to make us all jealous

booyhoo Thu 18-Aug-11 18:44:19

i have been to galgorm and the one in slieve donard hotel,newcastle. i would choose the galgorm if i had another chance but slieve is lovely too, it has gorgeous views of the seafront.

TryLikingClarity Thu 18-Aug-11 18:52:55

Galgorm suits the 3 of us more geographically than Slieve Donard does. One of us is coming from Larne, other from Newtownabbey and other from Ards.

I'll have a gander at the special offers and book it for the next month or so.

grin

ChablisLover Thu 18-Aug-11 20:54:29

Sil did an overnight stay with spa on a Sunday night plus dinner in the posh restaurant for £120 I think.

Would love to do it but consoling myself with girly lunch in gillies on Saturday!

queenmaeve Thu 18-Aug-11 22:56:59

Galgorm is the nicest, slieve donard second. Didnt think much of culloden or the merchant spa. There isn't any pool at the merchant and the roof top hot tub is over looking back alleys and rubbish bins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now