Talk

Advanced search

Starter kit for a complete make-up-a-phobe?

(15 Posts)
CaringForPod Thu 18-Aug-11 08:38:54

Hello all,

I'm looking to put together a make-up essentials kit. If you can be scared of make-up, I am. I can never get it to look any good/make any difference.

I'm olive skinned and my skin errs on the oily side. My skin often looks dull and blotchy and I have HUGE dark circles/bags under my eyes. I just want to look a bit fresher-faced - I see other mums with flawless complexions and I want that to be me! Surely I must be able to achieve a vaguely presentable look.

Any suggestions?

CaringForPod Thu 18-Aug-11 08:41:44

PS: I don't get a chance to log on that often, so don't be offended if I don't reply to you straight away. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I will read them smile

ditavonteesed Thu 18-Aug-11 08:43:28

go and get a make over at the benefit counter. you can see what suits you and there stuff is so nice. smile

CaptainMartinCrieff Thu 18-Aug-11 08:49:34

The best foundation, bar none, is Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, incredibly easy to put on (even with fingers) and no major blending required. Also Max Factor Masterpiece mascara is fab and relatively cheap. If you're inexperienced you'll want a relatively subtle blusher, maybe even a cream one, I think Bourjois have some nice cream blushes, with olive skin go for a nice subtle pink just to give your cheeks a bit of colour.
In terms if eyeshadows Bobbi Brown do some of the best (but they're pricey).

Twit Thu 18-Aug-11 09:02:10

I'm like you, don't really use make up etc (although I'm v pale with dark circles) and I bought some Bare Escentuals (I think that's how they spell it) from Amazon. I got the skin starter set and the eyes and lips set and I find it really quick and easy. I like that it looks like a fresher smoother more polished version of me instead of me with make up on IYSWIM?

Twit Thu 18-Aug-11 09:06:17

I might try the max factor masterpiece mascara, is it waterproof or normal?
my personal bugbear is lip colour (stick or whatever) I found a perfect one from Bourjois years ago only they discontinued it sad.

seasidesister Thu 18-Aug-11 09:09:10

Agree with Twit, Bare Escentuals is fab and does exactly what you say you want. Get the starter kit. Plus Clinique natural gloss mascara. Bit of vaseline on the lips et voila, a more polished you smile

moonstorm Thu 18-Aug-11 09:55:06

As someone who has goen from being a non-make-up wearer to wearing it most days, I would say you would need:

Mascara (black) - You can get it for £2.99 in Boots while you get iused to wearing it before paying more.

Undereye concealer - Try out lots of make-up counters to get tips and techniques as well as to find a colou

Tinted moisturiser/ foundation - lots of people love tinted moisturiser, buit I have lots of colour in my face and find a light foundation better

Eyebrows: wax/ tidy them up and consider a powder/ pencil to define them more.

Then maybe blusher, eyershadow. Lips: just use vaseline/ those little pots of lip balm from the bosy shop.

If you do nothing more than undereye concealer and mascara, it will make a differenc.

The main thing is to experiment and to start to get into a routine. Visit loads of make-up counters and as them to try products on you. You don't have to buy, but it will give you ideas. The Bobbi Brown books are also worth getting from the library.

Most of all, have fun!

moonstorm Thu 18-Aug-11 09:56:05

Body Shop, not Bosy shop

cluckychook Thu 18-Aug-11 11:12:32

The Cargo 6 in a bag kit is very good. It comes with everything you need and instructions on how to apply it. The concealer is the best thing I have tried for dark circles under eyes.

gettingolderbytheday Thu 18-Aug-11 11:20:33

Garnier caffeine roller with tint for under eyes
Bare Minerals foundation + warmth for shading
Mac gel eye-liner
Max Factor Infinity lip sticks with any good gloss over the top
Boots no 7 mascara with serum built-in
If you need it Touche Eclat for highlighting
benefit erase as a concealer (again if you need it)
molton brown eyeshadows stay on for ages and don't crease

trilottie Thu 18-Aug-11 11:34:07

pre my wedding earlier this year I had a make up lesson at Bobbi Brown which was a revelation! Turned out I'd been wearing the wrong colour foundation for 20 years. I didn't feel pressured into buying anything but bought the basics like foundation, concealer, mascara and long lasting eyeshadow.
Won't go back to any other make up brand now, they're so good.
By the way, Body shop brushes are cheap and good quality, so I don't buy the Bobbi Brown versions of them.

Gillybobs Thu 18-Aug-11 12:14:03

Dont spend a lot of money until you are sure what you like colours wise/texture wise.

Start with decent budget products and practice!!!

For everyday wear I'd really recommend:

Rimmel 25hr lasting foundation - lovely dewy coverage about £8

L'oreal Touche Magique undereye pen - gets rid of dark circles about £8

Max Factor Masterpiece Mascara - great product about £10

Maybelline cream Blush - subtle and idiot proof about £6

Any natural lipgloss - I like REvlon or Bourjois

This will take 2 mins to apply and make ALL the difference to how you look and feel : ) You will get all of this in Boots or a large supermarket

You dont need eyeshadow/liners etc for a natural daytime look. Once you've built your confidence with the items above you could try a more evening look with a touch of eyeliner and a nice metallic shadow, maybe a deeper lip colour. Baby steps! : )

Another vote for the Bare Escentuals starter kit - Debenhams do a tiny one for about 15 pounds which has 2 tiny pots of foundation, concealor, powder and 2 tiny brushes. It says it's a month's supply iirc but it's lasted me at least 2 months and I'm saving up to buy the bigger set next! My skin is v pale olive and a bit oily and it works well for me in the very lightest shade they do.

Lancome for mascara - expensive but worth every penny.

Max Factor creme blush or Boots Natural Collection for cream or powder blush. The Boots ones are only about 1.99.

If you're rich, Lancome do a 2-part eye thing for dark circles which is amazing but far more than I'm willing to pay!

Mac or Urban Decay for the best-lasting eyeshadows.

CaringForPod Fri 19-Aug-11 08:21:25

Wow! Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've tried the BE mineral stuff but just couldn't seem to get it to 'work'. I had some undereye powder and it just looked really cakey and obvious. I've also got Boots own version of Touche Eclat, which does nothing for my circles. Will head to the Benefit counter and try out Erase, see if it's worthy of the hype.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now