Talk

Advanced search

Dress with sleeves suitable for a ball.....does such a thing exist?

(14 Posts)
ceebeegeebies Wed 17-Aug-11 21:03:19

Am going to a ball in a few weeks and need a dress - apart from not really being sure what you wear for a ball (having never been to one blush) all I can seem to find are strapless/sleeveless dresses and I need sleeves! I do weights a lot at the gym and may be considered a little butch toned by some so best covered up for occasions when you need to look feminine and delicate wink

Can anyone find me a dress with sleeves that would be appropriate for a ball?? I am 5ft 8, size 14, fairly hourglass but have slight tummy which I would want to 'disguise', want knee-length (ish), budget is upto £50-£60 but would go a little bit higher for the right dress smile

KristinaM Wed 17-Aug-11 21:20:11

really??? your arms are too toned??? envy

are you sure that delicate is your best look???

surely a knee length dress with sleeves is just a day dress? im not sure if that woudl be suitabable for a ball. but like you, im not a ball expert grin

ceebeegeebies Wed 17-Aug-11 21:25:00

I am worried that it will just be a day dress....a strapless dress (which seems to be the only ones I can find) really would look awful on me.

I do have quite a feminine shape but on a large frame so wide shoulders, small waist, wide hips and long legs....I have actually deliberately built my arms/shoulders up as I used to be quite pear-shaped but I look much more balanced but the downside is my arm muscles are quite big now!! (Guess you can't have it all eh??)

tethersend Wed 17-Aug-11 21:25:42

Lace

LBD

Lace again

KristinaM Wed 17-Aug-11 21:34:53

tethersend, that black jersey one from P8 is lovely, if it came in another colour apart from black i woudl buy that, like all the draping. but not for a ball

OP, i am also top heavy but on a smaller frame. i never try to do delicate and feminine, its just not me. i do weights too but obviously not as heavy as you as im still not toned enough. hence the envy

i am still struggling to see why being a tall hourglass with long legs is a problem

Ephiny Wed 17-Aug-11 21:38:06

It's rare that you see an evening dress with sleeves, now that I think about it. Can you wear a shrug or bolero or something over a strapless/sleeveless dress, if you feel self-conscious about your arms?

You'd probably look fine just in the dress though, it sounds like you have a nice figure!

ceebeegeebies Wed 17-Aug-11 21:39:04

Kristina when you put it like that, maybe I am worrying over nothing wink My shape is great....just at least 1 size too big!!

Tethers don't think lace is me to be honest - sorry! Do like the black one but as Kristina said, is it really appropriate for a ball?

ceebeegeebies Wed 17-Aug-11 21:41:01

Ephiny I have thought about that but am guessing that it will just get in the way when I am dancing - but then again, by the time the dancing comes along, I will have probably consumed enough wine that I won't be remotely bothered about how big my arms look grin

KristinaM Wed 17-Aug-11 21:45:24

i woudl have thought that you coudl carry off a dramatic or elegant look, rather than delicate and feminine? but there is no point in me talking you into soemthing that you will feel uncomfortabel with

a dress and shrug sounds good to me, they are just small, its not like a cardigan so not sure if it would spoil the dancing. depends how wild you are

you might have to up your budget a bit though, to get a dress and shrug

ceebeegeebies Wed 17-Aug-11 21:46:20

Have been looking at something like this but think the top part might look a bit tacky or this

Do you think that kind of shape would suit me?

KristinaM Wed 17-Aug-11 21:59:00

these links wont open for me but it might be my pc as its acting up tonght

you coudl show off your small waist in black dress

ceebeegeebies Wed 17-Aug-11 22:07:23

Kristina wow, there are some stunning dresses on that website shock and the choice of colours are AMAZING!!

I quite like this one - I know it doesn't have sleeves but I do like it!

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 17-Aug-11 22:20:28

< jugs in >

That's lovely - as are the ones you linked earlier. I'm guessing you like a romantic, feminine look? Would you consider maybe hiring something like this?

Disclaimer: have never hired an evening dress myself - too stingy, prefer to have something I can hang in the wardrobe and never wear again.

worldgonecrazy Thu 18-Aug-11 09:00:50

I would go with a bolero/shrug over a gorgeous dress.

Or, if you can find a dressmaker, find a fairly plain dress you like that has sleeves and is fitted, then get a matching fabric and add the extra length in a gathered layer from the knees. It's a bit 80s/retro but might be an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now