Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New makeup needed - talk to me about Benefit please

(54 Posts)
henrythecat Wed 17-Aug-11 16:56:20

I'm starting from (sort of) scratch with my makeup bag. I've got a foundation (L'Oreal Infallible), blusher and powder (both No7) that I'm happy with so am in the market for new eye and lip makeup - eye shadows, eye liner, something for brows, mascara, lip stain and gloss. I like the look of a lot of the tutorials on the Benefit website, especially for eyes. Would you recommend? Products worth the money? Any alternatives? TIA

AmaraDresden Wed 17-Aug-11 17:00:18

I only like the Benefit creaseless cream shadows as far as their eye products go. I think Too Faced are reasonably similar, they have some palettes with little tutorials in them, I have the Naked Eye one and like it but it is kinda sheer (which is the point and why I bought it) which have given it some negative reviews.

I like MAC for eyeshadows, and you can find a billion tutorials for them. On youtube. Really go for whatever you can afford that you like the look of and google for swatches and reviews - some expensive products aren't worth the money, while other cheaper brands are bargains.

AmaraDresden Wed 17-Aug-11 17:00:19

I only like the Benefit creaseless cream shadows as far as their eye products go. I think Too Faced are reasonably similar, they have some palettes with little tutorials in them, I have the Naked Eye one and like it but it is kinda sheer (which is the point and why I bought it) which have given it some negative reviews.

I like MAC for eyeshadows, and you can find a billion tutorials for them. On youtube. Really go for whatever you can afford that you like the look of and google for swatches and reviews - some expensive products aren't worth the money, while other cheaper brands are bargains.

AmaraDresden Wed 17-Aug-11 17:01:13

Oh and take a look at Sleek palettes and Urban Decay too - UD are fantastic!

AmaraDresden Wed 17-Aug-11 17:01:13

Oh and take a look at Sleek palettes and Urban Decay too - UD are fantastic!

Whitershadeofpale Wed 17-Aug-11 17:03:31

I really like benefit but as my name suggests I'm very pale. My experience has been that pale people love it and dark people don't think it shows enough. I love big beautiful eyes and big smokey eyes.

lostlady Wed 17-Aug-11 17:04:13

I love my Urban Decay Naked palette for eyes: mix of browns & frets, sparkly and matte. Good selection for starting afresh. Love Chanel eyeshadows too, but do find they lack staying power.

globex Wed 17-Aug-11 17:29:57

I have a great Benefit eyebrow thing - Benefit Brow Zings Brow Shaping Kit..

Its lasted for over a year and I have very fine dark eyebrows that need to be practically coloured in every day..

henrythecat Wed 17-Aug-11 17:57:00

Whitershadeofpale I'm super pale, so Benefit should work. Thank you Amara lostlady and globex for your recommendations, with def check out the creaseless shadows and eyebrow kit and have a look at Urban Decay too smile

Any recommendations for mascara?

lostlady Wed 17-Aug-11 18:03:13

Lancome Hypnose. Have tried them all;?this is good

lostlady Wed 17-Aug-11 18:04:03

That should just be "it is good" smile

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 17-Aug-11 18:08:22

Lancome Hypnose and YSL faux cils.

Bunsouttheoven Wed 17-Aug-11 18:14:26

Pretty cheap but I love Maybelline gel liner. Is easy to apply with brush provided & totally stays put all day & all evening!

Bunsouttheoven Wed 17-Aug-11 18:18:33

Also love maybelline 'The Falsies volum' express waterproof' (rubbish name though).

I have rather short lashes & it is fab. I tried several expensive mascaras & found the to be pants.

2blessed2bstressed Wed 17-Aug-11 18:26:09

I've tried a lot of benefit stuff over the years - sometimes their packaging really bugs me, but most of the actual products are ok.
There's no reason why you can't substitute other brands and still take advantage of the tutorials, of course smile

pink4ever Wed 17-Aug-11 18:27:26

Sorry but I think benefit is crap make-up aimed at daft teenagers-who are seduced by the retro packaging. If you are willing to spend that much then look at brands like estee lauder or lancome.

Havingkittens Wed 17-Aug-11 18:49:31

Benefit is shite. Style over substance, gimmicky, low quality rubbish!

Daffo Lancome for mascara. I use Definicils, which is supposed to be more natural looking than Hypnose. I totally rate it and will never go back to a different brand.

re Benefit - I think the products are v expensive for what they are but I do like Dandelion.

workissues Wed 17-Aug-11 19:08:47

Lancome for mascara, its the best there is.

Benefit is crap imo - its made for young teenage girls and is all about the packaging.

MAC eyeshadows are great, as it Bobbi Brown cream shadow

lou33 Wed 17-Aug-11 19:16:37

I disagree that benefit is crap and for teenagers. I am a big fan of them, and have a few of their products. They have a new mascara out at the end of the month called they're real which looks good.

The erase paste is the best concealer I have tried, and I am a fan of the hoola bronzer, as well as many other of their products.

Btw I am v pale skinned and def not a teenager at 44.

lou33 Wed 17-Aug-11 19:18:26

They do free makeovers too with no obligation to buy.

henrythecat Thu 18-Aug-11 10:47:11

Thank you for all the advice everyone - much appreciated smile

I tried Lancome Hypnose a few years ago after picking it up in duty free and is definitely the best mascara I've ever used but could never quite bring myself to spend that much on a mascara again. If the general consensus is that it can't be bettered then might splash out on it this time.

lou33 have you tried benetint? or posietint? I need a new lip stain as bourjois have kindly hmm discontinued my favourite . Any good?

Also - any recommendations for some sort or illuminator or highlighter, current foundation gives great coverage without looking done but want a slightly more 'luminous' look if that makes sense and doesn't sound too wanky

lou33 Thu 18-Aug-11 13:59:26

I use benetint and dd2 is better suited to posietint. Posie is more pink, bene is more red. Wrt your foundation, you rebel lite is good for pale skin and a bit glowy, but not a full foundation. I have often mixed some high beam with a foundation to create a nice effect as well.

lostlady Thu 18-Aug-11 16:06:24

I like high beam too- use sparingly tho!

lou33 Thu 18-Aug-11 16:31:12

Yes you don't need much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now