Talk

Advanced search

Tips for better skin and hair please

(14 Posts)
TheCrazyLady Wed 17-Aug-11 14:58:28

I'm on a mission. I am currently 2 stone overweight and have started a healthy eating regime. I'm going to start exercising too. I'm hoping that getting rid of the fat and sugar in my diet will help my hair and skin but is there anything else I can do to improve my condition?
My hair is thinning and is limp and my skin is just dull and I have dark circles under my eyes.

babysaurus Wed 17-Aug-11 21:20:19

Good luck with the healthy eating regime!

One thing that is fabulous, is water! Water, water, water! I often drink hot water with a dash of lemon in instead of tea and have had much brighter eyes and skin since making an effort to drink more.

As you probably know, there are skin, nails and hair vits but I am not sure if they are just a gimmick. Sure there will be someone along soon to say!

Remember the difference between good and bad fats too - avocado's are good for skin, as is olive oil.

Exercise will also put a nice glow to your skin, and I don't just mean a red sweaty face! I mean post exercise too.

Will pick brains and come back if I can think of anything else.

Eat real food, good fats etc.

Avoid 'low-fat' artificial crap.

Drink enough water and make sure you have a decent calcium intake.

Exfoliate.

aliceliddell Wed 17-Aug-11 21:28:16

yy Alibaba - good fats, esp. Omega 3 & 6.

Ivortheengine8 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:32:11

You could steam your face every now and again over a saucepan of boiling water and a towel over your head - it feels lovely after.
Exfoliate you skin, I always use a scrub on my face (like st ives) rub it hard after with a towel and then put moisuriser on straight away afterwards.
Get out to the countryside or seaside when you can, fresh air is always good.

Ivortheengine8 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:33:07

Get a curling tong to maybe give your hair a bit of volume.

mumtoted Wed 17-Aug-11 21:53:53

Also a hair, skin and nail supplement may help, I've heard the Holland and Barrett one is quite good.

echt Thu 18-Aug-11 12:00:16

Your body will tell you when you need more water. You will feel thirsty. That is how bodies work.

Our ancestors managed very well for millennia without a bottle on the go.

Pootles2010 Thu 18-Aug-11 12:04:05

People on here rave on about Babyliss big hair, its on my xmas list. About £40 last time I looked.

I use Liz Earle cleanser, love it! But the most important thing is to religiously cleanse, morning and night.

Are you getting plenty of sleep?

JosieRosie Thu 18-Aug-11 12:05:30

I agree with water - wonderful stuff! And I know it's really boring, and not always possible, but there really is no substitute for sleep. Sober sleep - to make it extra boring! grin
Deffo exfoliating and a weekly face mask that suits your skin type. I use the No 7 moisturising one and I like it. Fruit and veg and not too much sugary stuff. And cutting down on booze!

JosieRosie Thu 18-Aug-11 12:06:54

Pootles - sorry for the hijack, but do you use Liz Earle every single day? I have been thinking about buying it but wasn't sure if it was more of a once-a-week job? I have sensitive combo skin, get very flaky/scaly on the T-zone. Thanks!

2cats2many Thu 18-Aug-11 19:25:54

Eat raw nuts, especially almonds and brazil nuts. Does wonders for your hair, nails and skin. I also second the 'sleep' suggestion.

pamplemousserose Thu 18-Aug-11 19:28:00

Seeds and nuts. A little sunshine and lots of fresh air and spending shitloads on Dermalogica

Pootles2010 Thu 18-Aug-11 21:33:28

I think twice day is best but due to laziness and skint ness it's prob more like twice a week. Sorts it out immediately!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now