Talk

Advanced search

A shampoo that will wash and keep hair clean for 2 days - does this product exist?

(59 Posts)
saythatagain Wed 17-Aug-11 11:21:28

I have fine, but plenty of naturally, curly/wavy hair. Looks great on day of hair wash but the 2nd day not so great. My hair I suppose, would be classed as normal/greasy. Any recommendations please?

Gillybobs Wed 17-Aug-11 11:23:39

Head and Shoulders. I dont have dandruff but use this when I need to get 2 days out of my hair. Promise it works!!

FreeButtonBee Wed 17-Aug-11 11:30:42

I have very fine bobbed dead straight hair which gets dry ends but incredibly greasy at the roots.

I am currently using Kingsley Flakey Itchy scalp shampoo http://www.johnlewis.com/230617323/Product.aspx?source=63258 (I have a very sensitive scalp and this is the only shampoo that cleans my hair properly, removes the yucky build up on my scalp and doesn't irritate my scalp - I buy it in 1 litre pump bottles now!) and Earle oily hair conditioner http://uk.lizearle.com/haircare/botanical-shine-conditioner-oily.html (on the ends only and combed through quickly while in the shower) and I just get two days out of it. It's better when I've had my roots done as the highlights dry it out a bit, reducing the oil-fest somewhat. Also better if I blow dry properly and use the BBH to set it (but CBA to do that every day).

If anyone has a mircale product then I'm all ears as this is just about acceptable and no more.

MaryBS Wed 17-Aug-11 11:35:46

I find the Aussie products really good - the one for long hair is usually OK for 2 days.

Haberdashery Wed 17-Aug-11 11:36:35

Duchy Originals hair stuff is really really good. The conditioner in particular is excellent for not making fine greasy hair weighed down and more greasy. I'd also highly recommend the Lush shampoo and conditioner in one bar.

saythatagain Wed 17-Aug-11 11:38:51

I get irritation too; the side of my scalp, just above my ears - I have it right now - washed my hair this morning.
I thought Head & shoulders had a bad reputation for stripping your hair etc?
But I will give it a whirl.
Is the Kingsley product pricey? I'm hoping for a real cheapy product blush !

BeeBread Wed 17-Aug-11 11:42:29

Not a shampoo but I've just started using the Bumble & Bumble volumising hairspray stuff. It is squirty, not aerosol, and you put it on while your hair is damp, more like a styling/volumising spray than a hairspray.

Normally my hair is atrociously lank on the second day and by complete coincidence I've noticed that it is just as clean day 2 following some Bumble & Bumbling. Even - shock horror - day 3 isn't awful, although obviously not as good.

I've no idea why it works - and I should say that I'm pregnant so it could be a weird hormonal thing (but that never happened last time). But I don't think I will be without it again!

sparkle1977 Wed 17-Aug-11 11:57:40

I use Dove shampoo and conditioner which I find to be very good. Its the Heat Defence one that I use.

A week or so ago I was using the new V05 shampoo and conditioners in the pink and white chunky bottles. Also found those to be excellent.

Failing that if I feel a bit greasy on the 2nd day I often spritz a bit of Batiste Dry Shampoo on my roots to freshen up until I can wash my hair.

saythatagain Wed 17-Aug-11 12:04:57

Goody - some cheaper options here! I too have a spritz of the dry shampoo - currently using Lee Stafford. Sadly, it doesn't appear to have the desired effect! I know I could wash it every day but I really can't be bothered! So, under the pretence of thinking its damaging to do that, I don't!!!!!

Havingkittens Wed 17-Aug-11 12:05:42

A few things to make sure of, don't use a shampoo with silicone in it as that will attract dirt. Also, make sure you rinse your shampoo and conditioner out really thoroughly so that your hair squeaks when you slide your fingers down it whilst wet. If you have any product left on your hair, especially if it's fine, it will get greasy and dirty very quickly. This is why hairdressers prefer you to come in with dirty hair than freshly washed hair as most people don't rinse properly which makes it harder to style. Don't use conditioner any further up than your mid lengths (about just below your ears) either.

AmaraDresden Wed 17-Aug-11 12:08:58

I only wash mine 2 or 3 times a week and use T Gel, mine doesn't get greasy in that time.

If you wash daily usually then it will take a while for your natural oils, which are being stripped by daily washing to settle into a new routine of every second day washing. Also fine hair and short hair does get greasy faster.

Have you considered trying a dry shampoo inbetween washing? I have friends who this works for.

saythatagain Wed 17-Aug-11 12:09:59

Now thats reminded me - I do remember having squeaky hair, once upon a time, but haven't had that for a long time. Interesting? So, products with no silicone in????

Gillybobs Wed 17-Aug-11 12:11:06

I dont find Head N Shoulders strips my hair at all, on the contrary both my sis and I often use it and have shiny healthy hair. Its only £1.50 in many "budget" chemist shops....

Cheria Wed 17-Aug-11 12:13:49

I would, if you can bear it, leave your hair a few days without washing it. Say, 5. Then the next time you wash it do two doses of shampoo, and then leave it again for a few days. I used to wash my hair every day. Then I went to hospital for two weeks and wasn't able to wash it at all (yuck). Since I came back I have only needed to do it every three days. It might help.

Also, during summer, I let my hair dry naturally outside in the sun. I don't know why but it is less greasy then.

PinotsKittens Wed 17-Aug-11 12:18:01

I have to wash my hair every day. I've tried allsorts of 'poos but I end up with greasy roots (plus I loathe that dirty hair smell).

I use Soap & Glory shampoo & conditioner and just do it in the shower every morning. Means I get through moroccanoil bloody quickly though!

saythatagain Wed 17-Aug-11 12:21:15

...and moroccan oil is expensive yes?
I should try the leaving it for a good while but can't...too icky!
If I left my hair to dry naturally - not a good idea!!!!
As someone mentioned on a thread a while ago - I would resemble Hugh Fearnley-Whitingstall....and not on a good day/pre hair cut!!!

PinotsKittens Wed 17-Aug-11 12:27:06

moroccanoil is £30 a bottle (but works wonders) - begone Hugh F-W bouffant 'do. I have Argan oil which is the main ingredient of M.O. but not used it yet, am finishing my bottle up first.

Havingkittens Wed 17-Aug-11 12:27:52

Yes, I can relate to that. My hair is somewhat like James May's hair if I don't blowdry. shock

daimbardiva Wed 17-Aug-11 12:40:00

I find that when it comes to styling products, if I am careful about keeping them away from the roots, I can go a lot longer between washes.

I have also been being sparing with the shampoo and making sure I condition well (but again avoid roots).

Am also a big fan of dry shampoo (Bastiste much better than Lee Stafford IMHO - and cheaper, hurray!)

saythatagain Wed 17-Aug-11 12:54:08

My poor itchy scalp! Its really giving me some jip today...I think thats whats prompted my thread. Maybe I'm not putting enough of the dry shampoo on?
<itch, itch, itch>

AmaraDresden Wed 17-Aug-11 15:33:26

I use coconut oil on my hair, only from my ears down though, and it's cheaper than moroccan oil. Heard good things about the VO5 oil too.

Aww your scalps probably dry because you're stripping it of natural oils, your scalp then goes into over drive making too much oil. Honestly just try leaving it a little while.

I have awful itchy scalp using regular shampoo, tis why I love my t gel!

AmaraDresden Wed 17-Aug-11 15:33:26

I use coconut oil on my hair, only from my ears down though, and it's cheaper than moroccan oil. Heard good things about the VO5 oil too.

Aww your scalps probably dry because you're stripping it of natural oils, your scalp then goes into over drive making too much oil. Honestly just try leaving it a little while.

I have awful itchy scalp using regular shampoo, tis why I love my t gel!

moragbellingham Wed 17-Aug-11 16:16:03

You can now get Moroccan Oil in a 25ml for about £12 from places like Lookfantastic if you want to try it. I was told it would be too heavy for my fine hair.
Aussie stuff has silicone in it. It's what I use when I can't afford Sebastian Light-which is most of the time. I notice a difference in my hair as soon as I switch though, which is a shame.

SaulGood Wed 17-Aug-11 16:21:04

I do agree that you've got into a vicious cycle. You're washing your hair so often that you're stripping the natural good stuff out of it and as well as finding a decent shampoo, you need to bite the bullet and stop washing it so frequently. Buy a hat. grin

I wash my hair once a week at most and though of course type of hair makes a difference, it's in really flipping good condition. The hairdresser is always nagging me about what I use and how I keep it so healthy. I don't. It keeps itself healthy, I just keep it clean.

FreeButtonBee Wed 17-Aug-11 17:20:00

BeeBread (like the name grin) I will definitely try that B&B thickening hairspray. Looks good.

Saythatagain - PK stuff expensive but if you have a sore scalp, I really really recommend it. I occasionally get lured in by other shampoo but always go back to it as my head just tingles all the time otherwise and I get a greasy, white build up on my scalp (like dandruff that doesn't fall off) which itches all the time. This leaves it not sore and tingley which no other shampoo does.

I couldn't leave my hair 5 days, I've gone three (and do sometimes at the weekend) but I really couldn't manage it regularly. My hair is so so fine that the grease would just swallow it up. It doesn't have the thickness to carry the oil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now