Talk

Advanced search

What kind of tops do you wear with...

(22 Posts)

Help please! I have got a wardrobe full of skirts, trousers, dresses, jackets and cardigans but hardly any tops.

What I particularly need are tops that look nice with jeans or with skinny combat trousers. They need to be long enough to cover my tummy but they need to not make my 32E norks too noticable. Oh and they need to be silk or cotton, not polyester.

Please, please help!

sprinkles77 Tue 16-Aug-11 22:32:33

bump! I need the same advice OP, I am wearing vest tops and boring skinny t-shirts (dorothy perkins basic ones, nice and long). boring!

Pretty please?

Gillybobs Wed 17-Aug-11 09:53:42

I'm a Mint Velvet fan, think it's brand you either love or hate mind you, a lot of their tops are cotton, silk or wool, and I find they are cut for grown ups rather than teens here

Ok they dont set the heather on fire but they are extremely smart, wearable tops and everything Ive bought has been worn to death

Thanks Gilly. I've got a couple from there but find them v hit and miss quality-wise and size-wise. The 12s are way too big for me across the back and shoulders but too small on the chest. They do have some nice bits though, so I will have another look.

MittzyTheVixen Wed 17-Aug-11 11:29:50

I tend to go for this kind of thing here, and here...

I think they are prettier than vest tops and look lovely with a cardi..

Apricot also do some lovely tops (IMO) I wear a lot with skirts and trousers smile

If you are not worried about trawling 2nd hand shops they have loads in right now.. I got a gorgeous Katherine Hamnett one for £5 that looks great with loads of stuff.

Thank you. They are pretty and I do sometimes wear things like the second one with a longer cardigan over but I styles like the first one make my norks look enormous.

What I really want though are some tops with sleeves (but light, so not too hot) so I don't have to layer a cardigan over all the time (don't like to wear sleeveless tops unless on holiday!).

monkeysmama Wed 17-Aug-11 11:43:47

Zara have some good long sleeved silk (& some silk mix) tops in atm. Various colours, round neck, bum length but not fitted. 3/4 sleeves too. I wear mine all the time with skinnies. Banana Republic had some good silk tops in their sale which I think is still on.

Thank you. Haven't been in Zara for ages because I was so cross about needing a 'large' in there. Will have a look at both websites and keep my fingers crossed!

TracyK Wed 17-Aug-11 15:49:09

I've got a couple of these www.hm.com/gb/product/93402?article=93402-A#article=93402-A. They are super flattering on - quite see through though. But I wear a nude holdy in type body under it and its fine.

That's really nice, Tracey - but it's polyester. In fact, I saw it in store yesterday and if it had been silk or cotton I would have bought it. They had another similar one with safety pins on which was lovely but also polyester.

monkeysmama Thu 18-Aug-11 22:07:04

Have a look on my-wardrobe. They have a beautiful cashmere and silk dkny trapeze jumper.

Thank you - suspect it will be out of my price range though! Am going to have a look in Zara tomorrow.

mrmistoffelees Thu 18-Aug-11 22:45:27

I also have the H&M blouse and I'm going to get another as I agree they are very flattering, looks great with my skinny jeans. I had not actually checked what the material was but can I ask what is so bad abut polyester?

I'm clueless about different fabrics and generally just go for stuff I can stick in the washer.

gregssausageroll Thu 18-Aug-11 22:46:00

Mitzy - I am looking for tops like the first orange one you posted. You don't know where it is from do you?

MrM - I teach in stupidly clasrooms and we have to wear a jacket too so I sweat too much in ployester!

Or even polyester...

mrmistoffelees Thu 18-Aug-11 22:55:33

Oh right, it is very loose fitting but suppose under a jacket it won't be.

Stupidly HOT - needs a lie down now.

mrmistoffelees Thu 18-Aug-11 23:01:37

Is viscose also bad? If not this is lovely

pamplemousserose Thu 18-Aug-11 23:02:05

That can't be red and orange on the mint velvet website, surely?
< adjusts colour contrast on screen and goes for a lie down to get over the shock>

Not sure re the Topshop one. Too high-necked for norks and I think I'd look v matronly in it. Would like that pattern as a skirt though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now