Talk

Advanced search

best natural look makeup?

(11 Posts)
onmythirdglass Tue 16-Aug-11 12:46:31

I'm ready for a make-up make-over. Just lost 2 stone (yay!), got a great new job (double yay!), and new hair. So I need to finish the look. What I need is: a natural look, easy and quick to do as I am busy/lazy. Don't want to look "made up", more like a better version of me. Something ok for every day with an upgrade option for special occasions, either work or social. Suggestions?

catswipe Tue 16-Aug-11 13:11:57

Une make up from Boots.

PollyRoxs Tue 16-Aug-11 13:25:14

I would say go get a free demo at bobbi brown they will walk you through the basics but it can end up costing a fortune even for a few items. All you really need is a tinted moisturiser (nivea do a very affordable one in most supermarkets depending if it matches your skin tone), mascara (I have tried loads and always go back to max factor calorie 2000), tinted lip balm (love the une range too in boots or super drug as they match your lip colour).

Then over time add a blusher (LOVE the une cream blusher), power (I am not fussy on powder go for something mid priced such as no 7 in boots7), eye shadow and/pencil (this may take a bit of trial and error so go visit your local counters and see what colours suit and what you can apply yourself), and finally lippy or gloss (again experiment with colours and textures).

Hope this all helps

onmythirdglass Tue 16-Aug-11 13:48:30

Yes I'd thought about Bobbi Brown, but I don't want to get sucked into having to buy loads of different products for this and products for that. I just don't have time for all that, and better things to spend my money on. I have a good skincare regime and look reasonable, so don't feel I need magical effects, just want to look groomed and current. What about mineral make up... any thoughts? Also, you both say Une, but I am not exactly a stranger to Boots, and I've never seen this label. Maybe not stocked out here in the sticks (big provincial town 1 hour from London)?

onmythirdglass Tue 16-Aug-11 13:50:13

PS Polly - love the idea of, over time, adding some mid-priced power grin. That'll be to go with my new job then.

mrsravelstein Tue 16-Aug-11 13:51:57

i've just got a load of bare minerals make up - was v skeptical as i have rubbish skin and need a lot of coverage, but it's brilliant. a bit of a faff, and the lady at the counter did make me a tad orange (well, it was in that haven of essex orangeness, lakeside) but am so pleased with it.

onmythirdglass Tue 16-Aug-11 13:54:34

Do you need special techniques for this type of make up? Do they teach you? Have seen it but am intimidated by all the variations available etc.

mrsravelstein Tue 16-Aug-11 14:04:43

did you mean the bare minerals stuff?

no not really special techniques, but if you're used to using a liquid foundation with fingers/brush/sponge, it is a little bit different, and it takes a bit longer to do. yes they show you (i had 2 dc with me when i went to the counter and she showed me very quickly) and you can buy a starter kit for 48 quid which has 2 shades of foundation, a bronzer thing, another powder to set it, and a concealer (especially good, i have melasma on my face, total nightmare to cover) and 3 brushes.

mrsravelstein Tue 16-Aug-11 14:05:40

i should have said, the end result looks very natural despite the amount of stuff you feel you're using, and it doesn't feel all caked on your skin

JanMorrow Tue 16-Aug-11 14:09:10

Mac studio fix is great foundation, a light coverage if you only do one layer, so it looks natural, and lasts for a good while.

Then I'd just do a nude or pale brown eyeshadow (any old brand will do but rimmel or boots 7 are both cheap and good) and I use Loreal mascara.. and maybe a brown eyepencil and a blusher (depends on your colouring which will look au natural).

Lucylucy57 Wed 17-Aug-11 14:15:08

Completely agree with mrsravelstein , the bare minerals stuff is brilliant. As a recent convert myself, I was sceptical at first of its ability to cover my spotty and blemish prone skin with seemingly so little product but its a miracle! You use so little and it really lasts all day whilst looking very natural. People have actually commented on how well Im looking since Ive been wearing it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now