Talk

Advanced search

Next sizing - is it all out or what??

(16 Posts)
EternalPie Tue 16-Aug-11 10:30:04

Grrr

Bought myself a pair of size 12 jeans from Next a few weeks ago. Felt fine at first but after wearing for half an hour they're hanging off me and looking baggy. I've never been able to get into a size 10 before but thought since I had a free delivery code I may as well order some just out of curiosity.

Well I ordered a size 10L (as I'm 5ft 10). They have just arrived and as soon as I saw them I said to myself "they look massive". I even checked the tag thinking they must have sent a size 12/14 or something (not that a size 12 or 14 is massive, just I was expecting these to look really small).

I tried them on anyway and they're baggy as hell. I got the slim fit ones so it's not as it they're supposed to look baggy.

So again, they're no good. No way am I ordering a size 8.

Is it something with Next clothing?? I'm going to give it one last shot and order a size 10 skinny jean - you watch, I won't be able to get them past my thighs hmm

Bet the poor courier bloke thinks I fancy him, he's backwards and forwards here that often.

thesortinghat Tue 16-Aug-11 10:38:16

You've just reminded me, my 10s arrived today and they fit great and not at all snug, which I was abit shocked at considering I'm normally a 12. My only issue is they're suprisingly short despite being a regular and I'm only 5ft 2.5 inches. Maybe I'm morphing into a supermodel at the age of 30!

EternalPie Tue 16-Aug-11 10:41:01

I wonder if it's us getting skinnier or Next making their sizes bigger! I'll go with the first explanation wink

thesortinghat Tue 16-Aug-11 10:49:09

Me too smile

tethersend Tue 16-Aug-11 10:51:08

Next clothes bear no resemblance to the human form.

Avinalarf Tue 16-Aug-11 11:13:48

Next sizes ridiculous.

I am six foot tall and their tall range of clothes are HUGE - trouser legs and sleeves all many inches too long (IF you are about 6'4, good luck to you - Next is for you!).

I also find I swim in most of Next's size 12s and am usually a 12-14 - weird.

FoofFighters Tue 16-Aug-11 12:16:14

Agree their sizes are way off, and the cut looks like my 3 year-old did it with safety scissors.

I am a size 10 but can fit a size 8 in next no problem. I think they're doing vanity sizing!

RabidRabbit Tue 16-Aug-11 12:55:14

Well I bought a size 6 blouse from there a few weeks ago and if it went down to 4 that would have fit too, plenty of room in it! I am a size 10 on top and a 10/12 on the bottom in most other places!

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 16-Aug-11 13:01:08

Next sizes are enormous. I am a petite 6 or something stupid like that in there. I am no way a petite 6.

Hellishday Tue 16-Aug-11 13:09:17

Totally agree the tall sizes are huge.
Have just got 2 pairs of tall skinny jeans and got into a 12...the ones from last year are a 14.
Disclaimer...they are the only things I get from Next as the rest is crap.

catswipe Tue 16-Aug-11 13:09:28

It depends on the item. I have bought jumpers and had to go down two sizes yet a jersey jacket ran tight.

EternalPie Tue 16-Aug-11 15:57:18

Also agree with the tall sizes being ridiculous. At 5ft 10in you would think I'd class as a "tall" woman - yet the tall size jeans I bought once were at least 5 inches too long and looked absolutely stupid. God knows how tall you'd have to be to get them to fit - like someone else said, if you're 6ft 4in, you could well be in luck!

ElsieMc Tue 16-Aug-11 16:09:30

It's not just the sizing OP, their jeans seem to get strangely bigger during the day. Fine when tumble dried, but very baggy by the end of the day. I have heard of this elsewhere, maybe on an earlier thread and it's true.

I have three pairs, all very different fits and generally large at the top of the leg area.

Very disappointed with their stuff recently. Just had a look in our local small branch and the tops are just too awful for words - flowery balloon type tops in gaudy colours.

I have always bought their jeans as they were reasonably priced and they fit me at 5 ft 3 inches. I even weighed myself (which I rarely do) and sadly I have not lost weight, so it seems a problem with the jeans rather than everyone losing masses of weight. Sorry.

EternalPie Tue 16-Aug-11 16:21:31

ElsieMc, I too have been a bit disapointed with their stuff recently. I mean, these jeans that arrived today, even if they had fitted I doubt I would have kept them as they looked all bitty and out of shape - they didn't look like new jeans at all. And generally agree about their tops, very florrey and non-flattering. I remember buying a top from Next once, tried on a size 12 - looked like a tent. Tried on a size 10 not expecting to get it over my boobs - it was HUGE. Tried on a size 8 - baggy and too loose. I'm sorry but there is no way that a person of my height is a size 6 in tops unless they had some kind of health problem. I used to love Next but am getting very disillusioned with them lately.

(Gets the H&M catalogue out...)

actiongirl1978 Tue 16-Aug-11 20:48:57

I agree - I got some size 10 skinnies recently and they fit me, but then baggy out due to the elastic in them.

I am normally a 12 and 5ft6/9st12lb.

Def vanity sizing.

brighthair Tue 16-Aug-11 21:00:04

I had the opposite problem last year. I'm a size 16 in every shop, next - could only get into size 20 jeans angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now