Talk

Advanced search

help! dress my 16 year old DD in a capsule wardrobe for 'smart 6th form'

(16 Posts)
Snapespeare Tue 16-Aug-11 09:50:15

DD is starting 6th form in a September. She has finally joined me and her DBs, in London from Glasgow and wants to make a good impression. Her new 6th form (studying English, psychology, philosophy and ethics and sociology (or history - last minute wobble!)) wants 'office-wear' for usual attendance. She doesn't want to look middle aged (like me!) still funky, a bit vintage. we don't have a lot of cash (we are talking high-street and charity shops rather than vivi westwood!)

does anyone have any pointers? she is gorgeous ( i would say that...) 5ft 7-ish size 10-12 envy dark hair, pale skin- tends towards black and navy, loves cardigans!

I know this is a bit of a tall-order! really would appreciate any links to young, funky office wear. smile

pointydog Tue 16-Aug-11 10:09:39

I like H&M's stuff. I'll look up some bits and pieces.

pointydog Tue 16-Aug-11 10:11:40

this cardigan is gorgeous. Comes in other colours

pointydog Tue 16-Aug-11 10:13:01

har - wrong link

talkingnonsense Tue 16-Aug-11 10:13:14

Can you get as little as possible till she sees what the other girls are wearing? Then head to the shops?

pointydog Tue 16-Aug-11 10:14:20

this should be it

pointydog Tue 16-Aug-11 10:16:09

comfy, stretch blouses abound

Gillybobs Tue 16-Aug-11 10:19:43

Yes H&M fab for affordable trendy "office wear", Zara a little more pricey but very on-trend, I'd pick up some skirts/trousers from H&M and add a few lovely little blouses from Zara, it's what they do best! If you can manage it a fab bag (Topshop are brill for bags) and scarf (girls that age are rarely seen without a funky scarf) would top off the ensemble beautifully

talkingnonsense Tue 16-Aug-11 10:23:42

Or try accessorise- sale might still be on - and get some lovely "bits" - bag, scarf, phone charm, etc. Or paperchase. Some lovely scarves around in sales at the mo.

Snapespeare Tue 16-Aug-11 10:30:38

pointy dog - she prefers the owl cake ('yummy!') ( i like the cardigan though! thank you!)

she does like scarves! smile she nicks all mine! smile

Havingkittens Tue 16-Aug-11 10:31:45

I would recommend waiting for the next season's clothes to come in to the shops if you can. Probably in the next few weeks. There are some lovely 40s style midi dresses coming in which are very smart but cool looking and are just made for a little cardi to be worn over. Failing that, a straight midi or knee length skirt (pencil or slightly A line) with a little 40s style blouse and a cardi works well and can be worn with either heels, maybe a high heeled loafer for example or brogues/creepers to make the look that bit more contemporary (seems ironic referring to vintage inspired fashions as contemporary but there you go).

Snapespeare Tue 16-Aug-11 10:31:53

oh! we like the hennes blouse! smile

Snapespeare Tue 16-Aug-11 10:33:36

having kittens - my daughter likes you. 'she's cool!' smile

sassyTHEFIRST Tue 16-Aug-11 10:37:54

Blazer - H&M, New Look or Zara
Chinos to be worn rolled up
scarves as above
Tailored shorts with black tights and ankle boots
Tea dresses (new Look again and Dorothy P) with little cardi

But agree with the poster who said don't buy too much till she sees what others are wearing. And remember it's London, so fashion-wise, anything goes.

Havingkittens Tue 16-Aug-11 10:38:59

grin

At her age it's really important to be able to keep a bit of herself and be a bit cool about dressing smart. There are plenty of years in the future for her to wear more conformist office type clothes if necessary.

Snapespeare Tue 16-Aug-11 10:48:48

i absolutely agree- important to keep a bit of your own identity, but to fit in a bit too - she doesn't want to look all 'rachel-from-glee' preppy.. think the weekend after school starts will be the 'big' shop (<trembles>...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now