Talk

Advanced search

solution needed for a sensitive scalp

(22 Posts)
twoistwiceasfun Mon 15-Aug-11 20:14:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Danthe4th Mon 15-Aug-11 20:19:48

My dd has always had to use T gel the one for greasy hair even though her hair isn't greasy, its the one with salicylic acid in and was recommended by the doctor. We never found anything else did the job and her hair and scalp is fine now but as soon as she stops using it then its back again.

twoistwiceasfun Mon 15-Aug-11 20:47:22

Mimmit Tue 16-Aug-11 14:23:49

I have always had a sensitive scalp but more scaly than dandruff (sorry if TMI)/ T gel worked well for me but think I got too used to it. I have got on quite well with stuff from Holland and Barratt which is free from a lot of things that people can be allergic to (sodium laurel sulphate, parabens etc)
As an immediate relief I remember a post (in general health I think) recommending demerara sugar mixed with a blob of conditioner. The coarseness of the sugar really soothes the scalp. Sounds weird but it did work and come to think of it I don't know why I haven't done it cos my scalp is bad at the moment. Off to kitchen cupboard... Good luck and let us know how you get on.

twoistwiceasfun Tue 16-Aug-11 20:17:10

Mimmit Wed 17-Aug-11 08:31:42

was thinking about this and I don't think it is demerera but normal brown sugar because it is the coarseness that acts as a kind of scrub confused
Not the easiest thing to do in a rush so maybe try it when you have more time! Good luck with that and the T-gel.

Furball Wed 17-Aug-11 08:52:01

you could be sensitive to sodium lauryl sulfate or SLS.. It is in most high street soaps and shampoos (and baby products)

really good info here

It is an industrial chemical used for stripping oils - so very harsh.

You can get stuff without, but steer clear of most high street brands - it is usually listed 1st on the ingredient list.

Waitrose stock a good range

I use faith in nature

they have a store locator

another mumsnetter gets their stuff from this free postage website - I have linked you to a shampoo search, various prices there and on page 2/3 they do free samples if you wanted to try smile

MissFoodie Wed 17-Aug-11 10:00:41

I've been testing some to review and found Barefoot Botanicals the best, otherwise Green People itchy scalp (in black tube) is good

babycham42 Wed 17-Aug-11 10:09:16

I"ll second Neutrogena T/Gel.

Skimummy Wed 17-Aug-11 10:27:20

I also use the Dr Organic range from Holland & Barrett - has been excellent. I use T/Gel occasionally if particularly bad. I would also recommend taking fish oil supplements and look at your diet (sadly). I have cut out alot of sugar and wheat and it has made a massive difference.

CMOTdibbler Wed 17-Aug-11 11:24:03

The only thing I find controls my dandruff is the L'Oreal Elvive anti dandruff in the dark blue and orange bottle

twoistwiceasfun Wed 17-Aug-11 18:31:22

expectingno2 Wed 17-Aug-11 20:43:58

not cheap but I have recently found this that works - I have terrible psoriasis on my scalp and scratch the hell out of my scalp all of the time and have tried lots of prescription shampoos to no avail. This has been a miracle for me - one use and the itching stopped!
http://www.philipkingsley.co.uk/shampoo/philip-kingsley-flaky-itchy-scalp-shampoo.html

twoistwiceasfun Wed 17-Aug-11 20:50:48

twoistwiceasfun Fri 26-Aug-11 23:08:33

elphabadefiesgravity Fri 26-Aug-11 23:31:43

I have always had a sensitive, scaly scalp. Head & Shoulders is one of the worse shampoos I can use. The only one I can reliably use every day is Neutrogena T Gel although I can get away with the odd time using Simple shampoo.

4madboys Fri 26-Aug-11 23:36:53

i have a very sensitive scalp (get eczema on it) and i find the aussie shampoos to be quite good, they are mild, rinse out easily and dont irritate my scalp at all.

i use the one for fine hair, they do various different ones smile

cantpackwontpack Sat 27-Aug-11 16:22:23

My sister swears by La Roche Posay. She suffered from itchy scalp and dandruff for years and tried lots of different things until she used this brand.

hth

twoistwiceasfun Sat 27-Aug-11 17:05:04

SkiBumMum Tue 30-Aug-11 10:16:57

Careful with T Gel if you have blond highlights as it really quickly discolours them. I limit it to once a week for a "descale" blush and then use Naked Sensitive scalp or Simple in between.

For a while I used Phytopaisant from Space NK but my local one doesn't do hair stuff anymore. It was lovely.

LolaLadybird Tue 30-Aug-11 11:37:50

Don't rule out the Philip Kingsley shampoo in future if the T-Gel doesn't do it. I bought some for the first time because T-Gel was only working if I used it all the time and I think it's quite harsh for everyday use (especially if you have highlights as Ski says). I bought it after recommendations on here and it's fab - pricey yes but I only use it every other wash and you don't need much.

twoistwiceasfun Tue 30-Aug-11 19:30:29

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now