Talk

Advanced search

hair colour revomal

(11 Posts)
booboo2010 Mon 15-Aug-11 15:08:56

what is the cheapest way to either strip hair of colour or get my hair from black to bright purple from home

henrythecat Mon 15-Aug-11 16:37:11

On the excellent advice of another mner, I recently used a product called Colour B4 by Scott Cornwall, find it in the hair dye section of Boots in a pink/grey coloured box, about £12 and really easy to use. It's available in normal or extra strength (normal is slightly cheaper iirc). I went for extra strength to get rid of a build up of dark browns in my hair (and I'd probably go for extra strength with black hair too) and worked really well. Only disadvantage is the smell - it's quite sulphurous/rotten egg sort of smell that needed a good few washes to remove. I would buy a deep conditioning treatment whilst you're at it too - my hair was a little straw like afterwards but a few treatments later it's super shiny again.

Also, whilst the Colour B4 should remove the black dye, I'm not sure what colour it will leave behind. If you see tattydevine around on the S+B board, she is the expert in all things Colour B4 smile

TattyDevine Mon 15-Aug-11 18:41:42

Yep, ColourB4 is your best bet - get the extra strength, perhaps buy two boxes as black dye is hard to remove.

I reckon it will lift you to a deep rust or perhaps a muted ginger - it allows you to wash the colour molecules out as opposed to bleaching which just strips them of their pigment.

If you click on my profile pic, you will see the colour I am sporting (!) right now is a muted light browny ginger - that's what it left behind on me when I recently removed my medium golden brown shade. I am hoping to go light chestnut so its not massivly far off what I want to achieve anyway so I'm living with it fine for now. Will probably dye Thursday.

You are not supposed to dye it straight away, but you will probably need to bleach to get yourself to bright purple. Ideally you'd wait a week before doing anything but if not you might have to increase your development time of your bleach as it might temporarily reoxidise before starting to lift.

Once you have achieved your desired shade of "light" (probably bright orange or canary yellow for a bright purple colour) you can apply your purple pigment (Directions or whatever you use)

booboo2010 Mon 15-Aug-11 20:43:18

how do u bleach ur hair then my mate had a misshab when she did it lol so if u tell me rather then her il be happy haha

TattyDevine Mon 15-Aug-11 21:14:30

You need to be careful. I suggest you do some research. There is a good forum for bright hair colours, I will try and find it and link, but it has all the details about bleaching, soap capping, bleach baths, etc etc.

You will probably need 40 volume bleach. Jerome Russell do one, Superdrug/Boots stock it.

I will try and find that link and I suggest you read up.

FerrisBueller1972 Mon 15-Aug-11 21:16:39

Totally recommend colour b4 also. You can dye it straight away if you like bit it's best to use sone form of bleach wash to even the hair tone out beforehand ... Good luck grin

TattyDevine Mon 15-Aug-11 21:21:12

Here it is

There is a lot of info on here. Read up on bleaching before you attempt it. Understand the products, their capabilities, their downfalls.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to lift a fair whack of pigment with ColourB4, then do a couple of bleach jobs before going purple. Depending a bit on the condition of your hair. Also, consider what you want to do to it after - what if you dont' like it, etc...

I recommend a strand test for the bleach before you apply it to your whole head, to see if it is feasible to get yourself "up" to the desired shade without your hair turning to cotton wool. If you can get a strand test up to canary yellow in 50-60 minutes then there is no reason why you should not proceed.

TattyDevine Mon 15-Aug-11 21:24:31

FerrisBueller - to be fair, you are NOT supposed to use dye straight after ColourB4 because anything containing Hydrogen Peroxide can cause the old colour molecules to reoxidise, particularly when the colour was black, bringing you back to square one.

If you are bleaching straight after, that is okay, though it can increase your development time.

Don't go whacking a semi permenant or permenant "traditional" box dye over the top after using ColourB4. Its tempting if its left you ginger but unless you want to risk reoxidisation, don't do it. Scott Cornwall's facebook page is littered with bewildered people who have gone jet black after applying ash blonde simply because they didn't read the instructions and they have reoxidised.

TattyDevine Mon 15-Aug-11 21:24:56

That said, I redyed on day 5 after a strand test on day 4 and I was fine.
STRAND TEST IS THE KEY!

FerrisBueller1972 Mon 15-Aug-11 22:08:36

I was pretty sure it said you could dye it straight afterwards as that was the reason I did it, I did not want to wander around for days with my hair looking patchy shades of ginger. Either way if I were you I would read the instructions far more carefully than I obviously did grin

Mine was fine and I went from several permanent applications of black and purple (what I was thinking I do not know!) to mid brown with blonde highlights. Best of luck smile

TattyDevine Mon 15-Aug-11 22:13:06

You can only use an 8 wash - anything with hydrogen peroxide (semi or permo) risks reoxidisation. Its not to say it will and in fact you can reoxidise a bit even without redying - this time round I feel I have reoxidised slightly - it looks slightly browner to me, I did it Thursday night.

Doesn't matter though, I wasn't blacks which are the hardest to get rid of and the reoxidisation has stopped me looking silly-ginger.

But yes it is one of the main pitfalls of the product that you cant' use anything "ballsy" on it straight after. So if lots of grey and very ginger, you WILL look bad for a week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now