Talk

Advanced search

Autumns-is there anyone out there??!!

(131 Posts)
sparkout Mon 15-Aug-11 13:57:48

After reading another thread about Spring ladies I was wondering if there are many autumns out there? I'm a leaf autumn, had my colours done about 18 months ago and am still trying to sort out my wardrobe/makeup! I'm hoping now that autumn clothes are in the shops there will be a few more things about in my colours!

sparkout Mon 15-Aug-11 18:53:23

I can't believe MN is full of Springs and no autumns??!!

TheWaterHorse Mon 15-Aug-11 22:15:23

I'm a blue autumn. Found out about 10 months ago but lack of funds mean that it's a slow process to get the wardrobe done. Am hoping to do the style day in a couple of months, so will try to minimse purchases until then.

Am sure there must be more Autumns lurking...

Karbea Mon 15-Aug-11 22:40:28

I've never had my colours done, but I googled and I think I'm an autumn, so I now try to buy more autumny coloured clothes, browns, greens etc.

sparkout Mon 15-Aug-11 23:06:48

Which are your best colours TheWaterHorse? I fancy the style day but wonder if I would ever find anything to wear once I knew my style and colours, esp on a budget and being 5ft tall!!

TheWaterHorse Tue 16-Aug-11 21:42:33

My best colours are chocolate brown, chestnut, forest green, olive green, teal, navy (the "Autumn" version, not the normal navy) and royal purple. (You can probably tell I can't remember the correct names for all of these). So, I suit the darker green/blue/brown/reddish colours best.

I think my worst colours are the lighter greens, yellows and oranges. Suspect these may be your best colours as a leaf Autumn, Sparkout?

I am the same as Waterhorse, i am a blue autumn as well.

ApuskiDusky Tue 16-Aug-11 22:03:04

Hello! Glad you started the thread, sparkout, I've been lurking on the springs' thread a little.

My HoC consultant called me a 'vibrant autumn' which doesn't seem to fit with the classifications I've seen, but basically I suit the dark or strong autumn colours best - pretty similar to you thewaterhorse.

I got 'done' about 10 months ago, and have gradually buying bits and pieces. The biggest revelation for me has been the power of scarves - I bought a couple from Whistles, one red/brown print and one olive/navy print, and they have made such a difference to me looking 'together'.

TheWaterHorse Tue 16-Aug-11 22:11:20

How do you wear your scarves, Apuski? I have heard that scarves are a really good way to wear your colours, but I have never tried as I always feel they look too grown up for me (and at my age, I really should start trying to look grown up!).

ApuskiDusky Tue 16-Aug-11 22:22:27

Yes, I used to feel that way too, and I can't see me getting into small silk scarves, too much like an air hostess! I have long scarves, folded in half round my neck then one end goes through the loop, if that makes any sense. The main thing I had to get my head around was wearing scarves when it wasn't winter. Luckily 'summer' scarves seem much more mainstream now.

oh Apuski the olive/navy combo sounds nice, is it current stock?

I threw away all my black cardigans (practically filled a skip) and instead bought one chocolate brown cashmere cardigan from Brora, knowing that the colour made me look fantastic and that everything I was going to buy from then on would go with it.

ApuskiDusky Tue 16-Aug-11 22:31:45

Queen, it's last season, but Asos have got it in the sale I think - look for Whistles Viper print scarf, £30. (sorry, can't link as I'm on my iPhone). The pic is a bit odd as she's wearing it with a spotty top, bit its really nice.

Thank you Apuski will have a look.

twooter Tue 16-Aug-11 23:06:12

I'm an autumn leaf too. Not been done long, so haven't got to the shops by myself yet, but even with a few autumn basics I feel much more together iyswim.

I'm even wearing the brown lipstick quite a bit.

ApuskiDusky Wed 17-Aug-11 11:21:09

So a question for those who have had a consultation - did they talk about how to wear the colours? The springs are talking about wearing three different colours all together, but I've read something about autumns needing to wear very similar colours together rather than clashing. My consultant said nothing about this stuff, so I'd be interested to hear what others have said.

YouDoTheMath Wed 17-Aug-11 13:17:17

Where do you go to find out which category you fall into?

sparkout Wed 17-Aug-11 13:41:06

Apuski I read in the white book about being monochrome and trying to wear three different shades of the same colour but find that a bit hard. My friend (who is a spring though) always talks about needing 3 colours to make them "pop". She told me that was everyone, whatever the season but as she is a spring!

twooter a fellow leaf autumn, yay, we can compare shopping notes, although saying that I rarely have the money or time without 2 small LOs to do much shopping at the mo! Do you have blue eyes and light brown hair then or do we just have the same skin tone do you think? Which lipstick/eye make up do you use? I felt very bright and a bit like my gran with the HoC lippy on during my colours day so didn't buy them, think its because I'm more a subtle lip gloss type of person and I felt like my lips entered the room 5 minutes before me!!

youdothemath I was given a House of Colour colour analysis for Christmas, basically you get draped in lots of scarves by a consultant and together with the other ladies decide which colours suit you and then from that which season and which category within that season you fall

TheWaterHorse Wed 17-Aug-11 16:46:17

Those scarves are nice, Apuski. But do I dare???

My consultant (also House of Colour) didn't mention how to wear the colours. I think I have read elsewhere that you should where three or more at once, but I'm not sure if they should be of a similar shade or clash. I think I've been wearing two differenct colours at once, so probably failing in both directions!

Agree with the HofC make up - I was draped with a coral lipstick which did look good and my friend who was with me thought it was amazing. Part of me still felt old lady-ish so I didn't buy it. Did just treat myself to a nice brownish one yesterday and got a couple of compliments.

twooter Wed 17-Aug-11 22:38:38

I can't remember being told how to wear the colours either. I do remember she demonstrated how any colurs you picked from your season would all go together( and used 3 scarves to prove it. ) I can't fond my White book at the mo, so can't help there.

Re lipstick,I got a red, a slightly peachy/chpagne colour and a brown. I tend to wear the brown the most, with excess blotted off and a bit of glosss to soften it. I'm not sure if I'll ever wear the red, think I was too impressed by seeing one look ok on me during the consultation, but I feel it's a bit too ott for me for real life,

I've not got to the shops either, but seem to be spending ages looking up ' brown dress' green dress' orange dress'' etc.

sparkout Thu 18-Aug-11 08:25:39

H and M catalogue had a nice green skirt but it looks a bit short for me, I tried to see it in the flesh but it wasn't in the shop when I popped in

sparkout Thu 18-Aug-11 21:34:55

Anyone tried Burts Bees lip shimmer? Got one in Caramel at the weekend and it is lovely!

ApuskiDusky Thu 18-Aug-11 23:17:04

Make up is definitely one area I need to work on, especially the perennial problem of lipsticks, I just don't wear them much at all. I think the HoC lipsticks seemed quite pearly and old fashioned, so my rough plan of action is to find lighter options that are the same kind of colours. Will check out Burts Bees, thanks for the tip.

I bought a couple of things yesterday that I'll link to tomorrow, but preparing for an interview at the moment (where I will be wearing my lizard grey patterned dress). Lizard grey sounds foul doesn't it?!

sparkout Fri 19-Aug-11 07:45:09

Ohhh, lizard grey, it does sound foul, I haven't found anything in it yet, where is the dress from?

Apuski I have a Bobbi Brown lipstick which is matt and suit autumns, when I have finished my first cup of tea I will haul myself upstairs and find out the name. I found make-up was the one area I was already wearing all the right colours anyway. My wardrobe was a mostly black disaster area.

sparkout Fri 19-Aug-11 09:13:27

My wardrobe was also full to the rafters of black black and more black, at first the thought of actual colours scared the pants off me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now