Talk

Advanced search

Please help me accesorise a black dress for a wedding. Eeek!

(6 Posts)
BunMyOven Mon 15-Aug-11 09:48:34

Hi all. I so don't belong here, am a S&B spanner.

Have 2 weddings to go to next month, will be 4 months pregnant and really struggled to find a dress. The one I found that not only made me look pregnant instead of fat but I can actually wear again throughout the pregnancy was a black maxi dress. I know, I know(!) some of you hate maxis but it really is very flattering and I feel good in it so I bought it.
It's not on their website but is a bit like this though slightly less 'booby'.

Now I'm wondering what the hell to wear with it!

I hate heels. Have got a lovely pair of gold gladiator sandals that (I think) look nice with it.
Could do with a pashmina as my upper arms are crap, nice hair clip maybe (have long, dark, curly hair), necklace . . . oh I don't know! I really can't just wear jeans and converse can I? <sob>

Namechangeoshame Mon 15-Aug-11 09:59:31

Aww, poor love. Gold Glads and a gold shrug/wrap/cardy if you can find it will be fine, and get a good hairdo, which will do wonders for your confidence - everybody will be cooing over your bump so normal clothes rules are suspended (although perhaps not enough to permit jeans and converse).

BunMyOven Mon 15-Aug-11 10:24:43

Ah thank you Namechange - just what I needed to hear/read. Think I've built it up in my mind a bit, as always, I always overdress to weddings etc! Perspective is underrated! grin

petitdonkey Mon 15-Aug-11 10:30:38

I agree with namechange about hair - can you afford to have a blow-dry? Do you have time? I always feel so lovely when my hair is done. Would you feel that shop,jewelshoptrendstatement this is too much? You could just wear a gold cuff instead.
Gold glads are perfect and maybe a gold or animal print scarf.

I think that a plain dress with groomed hair and make-up will always look better than someone who has tried super hard on outfit but not polished it all IYSWIM.

BunMyOven Mon 15-Aug-11 10:46:18

www yes Petit love that necklace, never would have picked it out myself but it's great - definate statement piece <uses term I've heard Gok Wan say a lot in vain attempt to fit in>

Re: hair - the first wedding (family wedding, only going to the ceremony for the second) is in a tiny little welsh village where we'll be staying, not sure if I could get to a hair dressers, will look into it as that would be lovely.

Thanks very much smile

petitdonkey Mon 15-Aug-11 22:17:37

You'll look great - try a Babyliss Big Hair if you can't get a blow dry. It won't cost you much more than going to a salon and if you have time to practice, it will help you to do your hair really nicely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now