Talk

Advanced search

Oooh, Mary Portas has launched her own collection for over 40s

(36 Posts)
levantine Sun 14-Aug-11 20:56:48

article here

It includes some sort of arm cover thingy apparently

However I'm not sure about the pics of it here.

Good for her for doing it though

FoundWanting Sun 14-Aug-11 21:13:56

Drove my mum to the airport today, and she was raving about this. She'll be very disappointed that it is only the Oxford Street HoF.

Love the silk t-shirt she is wearing in that pic.

madammecholet Sun 14-Aug-11 21:47:13

I'm not 40 and that collection looks really good...yessireee....v excited...

<I think her and Hilary Devey from Dragons Den are such good role models for female business women....>

TrillianAstra Sun 14-Aug-11 21:53:30

That's not "opening a shop" as they've called it, that's "having a concesssion in a department store".

Hahahahaha - one of the items is labelled as "waterfall cardigan".

TrillianAstra Sun 14-Aug-11 21:53:56

I'm not over 40 but I like one of the dresses...

kplondon Wed 24-Aug-11 17:10:46

A lot of it looks interesting/approachable although it's hard to actually find much of it online at House of Fraser. I wonder if there were supply issues - or is Mary being coy to create demand? Also it would seem that Mary is targetting not all over 40s, but only over 40s in a certain snack bracket. Are there that many women in the UK who would snap up a £150 pussy bow blouse?

polyhymnia Wed 24-Aug-11 17:51:36

Have been rather put off the whole thing by her choice of Clarks for the shoes and Radley for the bags.

Looking at the HoF online selection, the ones I liked best were the ones she had chosen from other retailers, eg Whistles, not her own stuff. In any case, as pointed out on the other thread on this subject, all her designs seemed to be aimed at women with figures as slim and 'straight up and down' as hers.

Katisha Wed 24-Aug-11 17:55:01

I had high hopes of this.

But the stuff on HoF website is all ghastly. And for thin people. As usual. (I am not hugely overweight but I do have hips.)

talkingnonsense Wed 24-Aug-11 17:56:07

It looks like stuff for 60+, not 40+ to me.

TheFarSide Wed 24-Aug-11 17:59:14

And some of us over-40s have very good arms.

polyhymnia Wed 24-Aug-11 17:59:37

Mmmm, and some of us baby-boomers don't fancy it much either! Had expected better of her. Think it's just another cynical commercial exercise which got great coverage in media because of her connections.

TheCrackFox Wed 24-Aug-11 18:05:13

She should have stuck to the day job. Some of that was horrific.

noddyholder Wed 24-Aug-11 18:07:24

Am nearly 46 and would never wear any of it.

Katisha Wed 24-Aug-11 18:08:35

She seems to think over 40s all want to dress like her.
What's the point of that?
I was hoping for a wide selection of dresses with sleeves, trousers that fitted people with hips and waists and so forth. Not a load of jokey weird prints and hideous necklines.

noddyholder Wed 24-Aug-11 18:12:59

She has no taste, her hair and everything is so over done it looks ageing and forced. The clothes are what a lotto winner would wear on a cruise to look 'jazzy'

upahill Wed 24-Aug-11 18:16:12

I've just had a look on the HoF website and I am hugely dissapointed.
The clothes were nothing to rave about and the range of shoes (clarkes) are nothing special at all.
I'll stick to Top Shop and French Connection for the foreseable future.

upahill Wed 24-Aug-11 18:18:06

and this isn't going to make me rush out for a new bag.

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Mary+Portas+Radley+Compton+medium+cross+body+bag/155655885,default,pd.html

Katisha Wed 24-Aug-11 18:29:12

Aging and forced - exactly.

V disappointing. I don't want to look like the clothes are wearing me - I was hoping for some really good new stying that makes you look good, not a fashion victim.

madammecholet Wed 24-Aug-11 19:09:48

OH NO, just seen the radley tie up. NO NO NO NO NO........WRONG.

sad

gramercy Wed 24-Aug-11 19:15:20

Bleeuurrgh.

All the dresses are too short and those blouses very manly.

So sorry, we are still waiting for someone to come and dress us over-40s.

BleurghUna Wed 24-Aug-11 19:21:32

That bag is foul and far too expensive. Obviiously I'm in a minority as there are only 10 left ...

cyb Wed 24-Aug-11 19:27:29

I like your name Bleurgh

MrsAlexanderSkarsgard Wed 24-Aug-11 19:29:16

I am so disappointed, I had such high hopes - the bags have really killed it for me sad

polyhymnia Wed 24-Aug-11 19:30:21

Totally with you on the Radley thing, Madame. Undermines any cred for me. As do the shoes. And clothes.

gregssausageroll Wed 24-Aug-11 19:31:24

I like the concept but the stuff is a big no from me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now