Talk

Advanced search

I have the perfect dress.....now help me with legs and feet

(8 Posts)
Namechangeoshame Sun 14-Aug-11 10:41:49

Am attending a posh do next weekend. Blokes in black tie, women in glamorous knee length frocks.

By some miracle I have obtained the perfect dress in the Anglomania sale - teal (which suits my colouring), silk, knee length, quite plain.

Venue will be warm, so what the hell do I wear below the knee? Sheer black seems a bit last century, and not summery enough, opaque black much too wintery, patterned black too young (I'm in my early 40s), sheer nude a even more old fashioned, bare legs out of the question unless I get a spray tan and dubious even then.
And shoes? I have some nice black party spike heels - full court style, some fabulous nude sandals in which I can't actually walk reliably, and beige wedges. So my realistic options are the plain black or getting new coloured heels (but it would be a very difficult colour to match and I CBA to get white satin ones professionally dyed - it's a posh party, but it's not worth that much effort (or is it, given that I'd then have the perfect pair of shoes to match perfect dress?))

Help! Please? The other relevant factors are that I'm a short pear-shaped size 8/10/12 and am very much not on the pull.

Oh, and it's a masked party, and I was planning on getting my mask from the late lamented big party shop in Clapham Junction sad.

TaudrieTattoo Sun 14-Aug-11 11:16:05

I had the same issue last night. Party dress, on the knee, didn't want to do tights as had peep toe shoes, no confidence in bare legs.

I used Sally Hansen Airbrush Leg Makeup. It was amazing. Feel like I've found the solution to a problem that has bugged me for years. Wear this and the black shoes, perhaps with a black bag/bracelet/some other black accessory.

Your dress sounds lovely, btw.

Helltotheno Sun 14-Aug-11 19:08:17

I se ond Sally Hansen (the light one is perfect for my paler complexion). Apply it in a room where there's a lot of natural light and make sure coverage equal everywhere, backs of legs etc. This product is wonderful, you'll never mention tights again....

Helltotheno Sun 14-Aug-11 19:08:39

'second' even smile

Namechangeoshame Sun 14-Aug-11 19:37:22

Thanks, I'll give that stuff a look (although I think my black shoes might be too sweaty without tights....hmmm).

The other thing I've seen suggested is nude fishnets - what do people think? A silly idea?

gregssausageroll Sun 14-Aug-11 19:53:23

Is this sally hanson stuff fake tan, ie do you need to exfoliate etc first?

scotgirl Sun 14-Aug-11 20:04:04

Rimmel Sunshimmer in matt is also very good. It's a wash off fake tan but doesn't transfer. Cost < £6

Helltotheno Sun 14-Aug-11 21:25:09

I don't exfoliate with Sally H, just bang it straight on... hairless pins needless to say. The light one, I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a fake tan, it's more that it makes your skin look blemish free and makes a pale complexion look sallower.
Don't know re the shoes but I'd say tights of any kind would be a no no with peeptoe, wedges or sandals. Maybe others wouldn't agree though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now