Talk

Advanced search

I have to look 'drop dead gorgeous' for a VERY fancy vintage-type thing a week today and I need help!

(31 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Sun 14-Aug-11 01:32:58

I'm going with my sisters to a vintage afternoon at a posh hotel in London for one of their birthdays. It sounds fab and I'm excited - but the write up actually states the dress code as 'drop dead gorgeous or you will be sent home in disgrace'!

I do NOT have time to trawl the shops (got a DC's birthday party to plan before then!) and I don't know what to wear!

My usual style does usually have a nod to vintage/retro about it but I very rarely get to dress up and I have unbelievably boring hair to boot. I am tall and thin and pale (I basically look like a Mini Milk with boring hair).

Any ideas stylish ladies? (I might bump this in the morning if no-one's up!)

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 14-Aug-11 01:56:46

Do you know what period you're going for?

How much money have you got to throw at this?!

You mentioned hair - THIS PLACE is meant to be amazing, although pricey. But there are some great pics for inspiration!

You say thin - assume small of nork also?

rockinhippy Sun 14-Aug-11 02:09:40

our friends company here

She does stunning 40s/50s inspired dresses, that have built in support & will make anyone look like a glamour puss - lots of "slebs" buying her stuff ATM toowink

NotADudeExactly Sun 14-Aug-11 02:28:38

... and if the aforementioned hair link is too expensive: You can find some great and easy tutorials on YouTube. Some really easy 1940s/50s hair styles can be found on www.youtube.com/user/elegantlyamused

msbunbury Sun 14-Aug-11 08:39:20

You could always wear a hat - some nice vintage type ensemble and a red lipstick = instant gorgeousness!!

tethersend Sun 14-Aug-11 13:50:37

What size are you?

What's your budget?

Which decade(s) do you like?

JennyPiccolo Sun 14-Aug-11 19:04:00

I think when it comes to posh vintage stuff, stay away from gimmicky 50s stuff, find a simple long dress and make it all about the hair and accessories.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 14-Aug-11 19:21:01

Ooh, sorry, been weeding all day and only just came back!

Thanks for all the ideas, especially the hair ones. Might have to practise! Rockinhippy your friend's stuff is lovely.

I really like belted dresses and swooshy skirts so I guess I lean towards 50s - I don't know at what point it tips over into gimmicky though Jenny!
Most of the vintage-esque stuff I have is daywear, cotton dresses etc and I get the impression this is meant to be dressier!

Body shape wise, I do have norks, but they're not as norky as they used to be <sigh>. My waist is really low as I have a very long body, which I suppose is why I like belted dresses. Budget-wise, less than £100 for a dress is a must.

If I really can't find anything I could always wear my LBD which is lovely (and belted, of course!). How would you vintage up a LBD?

Thanks for the help so far!

tethersend Sun 14-Aug-11 20:11:34

What size are you?

How about:

This

This

Over budget

This

This

tethersend Sun 14-Aug-11 20:17:44

Phase eight

JackieNo Sun 14-Aug-11 20:18:55

I guess, if you wanted to vintage up a lbd (depending on the style of lbd), maybe a little hat with a veil and some gloves, stockings with seams, heels?

CMOTdibbler Sun 14-Aug-11 20:30:15

The Vivien of Holloway dresses are fab - theres a pic on my profile of me wearing a red one, and I felt fab even though my basic figure is not curvy it created some. I bought mine on ebay along with the petticoat.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 14-Aug-11 21:15:46

CMOT you look amazing in that dress - are you accessorising it with a sling?

I am a size 10. Tethersend love the over budget one (of course!) and I like the pink one with the little jacket too. I'm not sure I'm brave enough for headgear!

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Aug-11 10:03:10

Thank you King Thistle. Yes, the sling is the essential accessory doncha know ? The cast is red fibreglass too

IHeartKingThistle Mon 15-Aug-11 13:31:19

Where can I get one by Saturday though? grin

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Aug-11 15:30:40

That is the tricky part of course ! Does your LBD have a full skirt ? In which case, you could order a swishy net petti off an ebay seller who does express delivery today, plus a pair of gloves and a 50's belt. Then with seamed stockings, bright red lippy, and an up do (maybe get a fresh flower corsage for extra va va voom), you'd be set

IHeartKingThistle Mon 15-Aug-11 18:33:47

That sounds lovely. It doesn't have a full skirt though, it's more of an Audrey Hepburn shape IYSWIM.

I had a lovely dress in my online basket earlier and someone bought it before I clicked checkout! angry

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Aug-11 18:47:08

Audrey will work though - gloves, stockings, lippy and maybe pearls ? Sleek your hair into a low bun maybe

moonshine Mon 15-Aug-11 19:05:54

Yes, you can wear seamed stockings, bright red lippy and some block-heel shoes or mary janes. How about adding a large corsage or brooch or pearls and a fake fur stole a bit like this one?

TragicallyHip Mon 15-Aug-11 19:23:43

Just had a look at ASOS for you..

Dressy enough?

Prom Dress

Glam enough?

Love the shoulders on this but maybe not your style

pretty

MissMalprop Mon 15-Aug-11 20:39:00

How about some black gloves, get your hair put up by a hairdresser, wear a hat like this www.prettycool.co.uk/black-pill-box-hat-fascinator-with-birdcage-veil-flower--feathers-17122-p.asp and finish off with some bright red lippysmile.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 15-Aug-11 20:53:03

Ooh I didn't know ASOS had a vintage bit! Just having a look now...

TragicallyHip Mon 15-Aug-11 21:43:18

Go look at Honey Go-Lightly..that's me smile I don't have any dressy items tho

TragicallyHip Mon 15-Aug-11 21:46:00

They have been doing Vintage for a while now, it's separate, under market place. I could buy so much there!

IHeartKingThistle Wed 17-Aug-11 00:27:57

OK I have had a moment of madness or genius and ordered a vintage dress online. Now I need to know what to wear with it!

Unfortunately when I bought it all the pics disappeared. I can't link to it so I'll have to describe it. It's 80s but the 50s revival period (!) and it's VERY pink -hot pink I think but lighter than fuschia - with a kind of gold lace top layer. Thin halter neck, tie waist with flower, full skirt. Really hope it fits. Really hope it's not hideous - that description sounds horrible but the pics looked lovely! It was in the sale at £20 anyway so I can always wear my backup!

I have some blush pink round toe T bar shoes that I am sure will do. But I have nothing that could go on top of said pink dress - any ideas? My first thought was a white cropped cardi but it would need to look dressy enough. Help - I only have till Sat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now