Talk

Advanced search

Where to buy non-bling girls clothes?!

(48 Posts)
PassTheTwiglets Sat 13-Aug-11 22:51:15

DD is 8.5 and suddenly has no clothes left that fit. But I hate, hate, HATE shopping for her as I detest voirtually all the girls clothes for her age! Everything is diamante-covered, slogan-riddled, tarty awfulness. Where can I buy nice, plain clothes that don't cost a fortune? I like stuff like this and I hate stuff like this.

Even the basic places like M&S, Tesco, and so on have all this slogany, sparkly stuff - nowhere sells pretty, normal, basic clothes anymore!!! HELP!!!

nancy75 Sat 13-Aug-11 22:54:28

Zara have some nice things (if you ignore the leopard print mini skirts), Next also have nice bits. I think the key is that you have to really look. Next for example is 90% nasty but you can find the odd good bit!

PassTheTwiglets Sat 13-Aug-11 23:01:41

I looked at the Next website but it's so awful to work through that I gave up but perhaps I should persevere then. Not tried Zara, good idea!

nancy75 Sat 13-Aug-11 23:06:58

The next website is awful! when you go in Next you will have to look away from most of it, but have a good rummage the nice things are hiding!

John lewis also often has nice things, and its not really any more expensive than next. H&M is good for basic jeans and cardigans - again you have to really look as most of it is crap, have you looked in gap - they are also fairly non tarty and they often have 30% off days (as you might have guessed mty dd has quite alot of clothes!)

PassTheTwiglets Sat 13-Aug-11 23:09:34

No, not looked in Gap. John Lewis is a great idea! I think part of the problem is that I am after summer stuff and the only things around online now are autum/winter things.

Glendaisgrumpy Sat 13-Aug-11 23:13:52

My dds are mostly dressed by Boden and Gap with occasional pieces from Laura Ashley and Monsoon. I get most of the Boden in the sale or on Ebay.

nancy75 Sat 13-Aug-11 23:14:38

You might have to venture out to the shops i'm afraid, most of the stuff online is winter . Have a look on la redoute or verbaudet, i think they have alot of their summer sale stuff still online, they tend to have good reductions.

rushofbloodtothefeet Sat 13-Aug-11 23:16:54

I find Next awful for girls stuff TBH, and the cut is horrific.

H&M is usually my first resort, but was in there today and shaking my head in despair.

As a result my DD seems to mostly wear boys clothes (she is even less keen on the bling than me)

CubiksRube Sat 13-Aug-11 23:18:33

GAP is excellent. H&M not bad at all - I've bought things there in the past that are completely acceptable.

M&S never go TOO horrific.

nancy75 Sat 13-Aug-11 23:18:47

gap look like they still have some summer bits online in their sale

BerryPie Sat 13-Aug-11 23:19:40

Try H&M. They have some awful stuff, yes, but if you ignore that you can find some really nice, simple things. I like these, for example:

www.hm.com/gb/product/92977?article=92977-C

www.hm.com/gb/product/91493?article=91493-C

www.hm.com/gb/product/92041?article=92041-A#article=92041-C

And if you ever want to spend a little bit more, I am crazy about Bread&Jam - be warned, their dresses are addictive...

www.ilovebreadandjam.com/

PassTheTwiglets Sat 13-Aug-11 23:25:57

Thansk for the continuin suggestions, everyone. Had forgotten Vertbaudet and LaRFedoute, will check those out tomorrow. H&M clotgbes are awful whenever I've been in our local branch but the bits you linked to, berrypie, are just what I'm looking for - particularly like that blue dress/top.

Thanks so much everyone!

PassTheTwiglets Sat 13-Aug-11 23:31:50

Oh my goodness, could there have been any more typos in that post if I'd tried?! smile

Bonsoir Sun 14-Aug-11 07:26:51

On the high street, I second Gap, and also find that Monsoon does some really lovely girls and tasteful clothes, in among quite a lot of dross. Also try Benetton, which I find amazing as a source of really good quality coats for DD (who has to have a plain navy coat and mac for school) and also does plain trousers, skirts and jumpers.

PassTheTwiglets Sun 14-Aug-11 08:36:44

Looked like some nice bits online in Gap but nothing in our size so I will venture to the shops in the week. Can't believe there's nothing on eBay! Although I have slightly gone off it as the clothes you buy are rarely as good as you expect... we're going to France for a daytrip and the clothes in the supermarket there are really nice (they appear not to dress girls like hookers there) but they are sooooo pricey.

babycham42 Sun 14-Aug-11 08:42:02

So with you PassTheTwiglets.Trouble is most of the stuff like that is in the pricier shops (Boden,Monsoon etc) and I really can"t afford their stuff even in the sale. For me H&M and lovely friends with tasteful hand - me - downs!

PassTheTwiglets Sun 14-Aug-11 08:56:50

I am looking on the M&S website at the moment and it's hiiiiiiiiiiideous! Everything is sequinned or Hello Kitty! Fuck Off Kitty, more like...

mamijacacalys Sun 14-Aug-11 09:49:59

Agree about Next being hopeless for some seasons - younger girls up to age 5/6 is fine but the older girls stuff has been hideous for some time. Even M&S has gone down hill recently, unfortunately. Who is buying this tat?
Anyway, RQ01 will get you 15% off and free p&p at Boden.
I know there are some recent S&B threads slagging off Boden quality but I have always found the kids stuff to be well made excellent quality - just buy it a size or more bigger so that they don't grow out of it too quickly!
My DD has some bits that are going into their 3rd year and still look fine despite much wash and wear.
HTH and happy shopping smile.

Lancelottie Sun 14-Aug-11 10:02:50

Landsend, especially the skorts and the boys' ranges of t-shirts.
Seasalt, if you're feeling all organic and can afford it.
Gossypium if feeling both organic and a bit hippy, but might not appeal to a child of 8.
But quite a lot of Debenhams is also just fine, and John Lewis is our saviour for both boys and girls (tends to be easy to hand down bright blue or green stripes from one to the other, for a start).

neolara Sun 14-Aug-11 10:05:57

Joules sales. Got some great dresses for my 7 year old at massively reduced prices. Also Boden. Sales or ebay. And John Lewis although I've found that waists are huge on trousers.

PassTheTwiglets Sun 14-Aug-11 10:45:50

She used to live in Boden (from the sales or eBay) and 3yo DS wears it all the time but there is nothing left in her size in the sale. We have a few of their dresses but it's basic tops and cropped trousers/shorts that she needs most and they are very patterned and hard to match this season.

Lancelottie, I didn't even realise that Landsend did kids clothes, brilliant!

PassTheTwiglets Sun 14-Aug-11 10:53:06

Just had a look and Landsend is perfect!! Thank you so much! What is their sizing like, does anybody know? They do either 7-8 or 9-10 but DD is exactly 8.5!

muminthemiddle Sun 14-Aug-11 10:59:41

Try Verbaudet (?) it is the children's section of La Redoute. I'm afraid it is mail order though.
I have had some great clothes from there for both boys and girls.
Would also second H &M.

PassTheTwiglets Sun 14-Aug-11 11:16:00

I did look at Vertbaudet, muminthemiddle, but there wasn't much summer stuff left. Thanks for the tip though!

HouseOfBamboo Sun 14-Aug-11 12:21:46

I wish Jojo Maman did clothes for older children - some of their stuff would work just as well for an 8-year-old as it would for a 3-year-old as it's plain and not too babyish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now