Talk

Advanced search

£50 to spend on office-wear

(5 Posts)
CubiksRube Sat 13-Aug-11 22:45:27

I'm going back to work in a week, after DS, and need to buy an outfit to impress on the first day. It needs to be corporate, but can have a bit of personality - I work in finance/retail.

I'm 5'10 so can't risk anything short or indeed shorts. Size 8, but busty - 28E - so can't have anything too low cut. I want to look respectable, but cool! And, um, not like a praying mantis, which I do sometimes tend towards, what with being tall and sort of flailing.

Any thoughts? Maybe a dress, or a pencil skirt/blouse? I've been trawling ASOS but haven't seen anything yet.

chocolateteabag Sat 13-Aug-11 23:25:38

My ideas may be a bit odd:
This grey shirt dress from Hobbs with bright pink or green belt and opaques? (£49 in sale)

Is this Boden dress too wacky in the red (8L in the sale £38) or this one in camel which is a bit more conservative

Would you wear a wrap dress? There is this one from LK Bennett on at the moment - I wear mine with a white slip underneath to minimise vpl and risk of too much cleavage showing (32E)

Good luck

CubiksRube Sat 13-Aug-11 23:41:38

I love the Hobbs dress, I think it strikes exactly the right note! And can be dressed up to look funky, or dressed to look corporate. Lovely, and a great price grin

I'd wear the Boden, but think that for meetings it would be a bit too colourful. They're funky but still quite monochrome! Also, I need something I can re-wear inconspicuously ... similarly with the LK Bennett, I think people would notice if I rewore it once a week, you know?

Definitely the Hobbs, though, I really like that. I'm going into town on Monday and will see if they stock it (London, so I imagine they might, fingers crossed) but actually may just order it. Thank you chocolateteabag!

PetiteMum Sat 13-Aug-11 23:43:37

This is my favourite work outfit at the mo.

Is this belt www.marksandspencer.com/Leather-Criss-Cross-Burnished-Grecian-Belt/dp/B004J1LGOU

And this dress
www.marksandspencer.com/Sleeveless-Pleated-Neckline-Jersey-Dress/dp/B0058F2GEU?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_4&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-4&qid=1313275346&pf_rd_r=1SCWS30KW555020WY7BR&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=215485807&pf_rd_s=center-3

I know. It's M and S.
Shoot me

chocolateteabag Sat 13-Aug-11 23:56:26

ooh glad you liked it - I think the curved shirt detail at the bottom is fab. Sadly I don't have the knees to wear it myself sad

Liking the jersey dress, but I can't do black at the moment as it shows up DS's snot trails too much (9months and going through all the colds he can find in nursery)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now