Talk

Advanced search

Style 'icons' in the public eye who you think look like they got dressed in the dark.

(28 Posts)
GetOrfMoiSamsungFridgeFreezer Sat 13-Aug-11 18:10:06

Alexa Chung - 6th former dressed up. Stupid hats. Knock kneed.

Kate Bosworth. meh meh meh. And smile you miserable bugger.

Carine Roitfeld from French Vogue - looks like she needs to wash her face of last night's eyeliner.

GetOrfMoiSamsungFridgeFreezer Sat 13-Aug-11 18:14:13

Sarah Jessice Parker.

Chloe Sevigny

aStarInStrangeways Sat 13-Aug-11 18:14:34

Urgh, Alexa Chung's style is so not my idea of stylish. Horrible clunky shoes and boxy jackets.

Chloe Sevigny. So fashion-forward that her style actually projects into the future, making it invisible to plebs like me who think she looks like a charity shop's back room come to life. Carrier bags and all.

ChiddelyPie Sat 13-Aug-11 18:37:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Avinalarf Sat 13-Aug-11 19:05:31

I totally agree re: Alexa Chung. That whole mannish brogues with bare chicken legs and some sort of 'retro' trampy jacket just makes me laugh.

Fearne Cotton.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Aug-11 21:49:15

SJP

And most young slebs.

southeastastra Sat 13-Aug-11 21:51:32

i love sjp

i think there is a real lack of style now

apart from thingy from moloko

otherwise nil points for style or even trying to style yourself

very poor

RollingInTheAisles Sat 13-Aug-11 21:52:13

Angelina Jolie, drab.

Folicacid Sat 13-Aug-11 21:52:13

I opened this thread to post Alexa Chung, but clearly been well beaten to it.

AmaraDresden Sat 13-Aug-11 22:03:27

Haha! I can't stand Alexa's style either! I can't think of any more off hand.

RedBlanket Sat 13-Aug-11 22:05:34

I was also going to nominate Alexa Chung as well.

nancy75 Sat 13-Aug-11 22:07:11

I would nominate most of the above, with the exception of SJP they all look like they need a good wash.

aStarInStrangeways Sat 13-Aug-11 22:09:36

I think the problem is that lots of the women feted by fashion mags as style icons actually have so little individual style that they are completely forgettable. Or maybe it's just that I am hugely out of touch with all the telly or whatever it is that they feature in (likely). Either way, all those women off The Hills blend together with Blake Lively and Olivia Palermo in a big uniform rush of shiny hair, safe make up and forgettable clothes.

So basically what SEA said.

MonkeyJungleConga Sat 13-Aug-11 22:13:29

Samantha Cameron

applecrumbleandcream Sat 13-Aug-11 22:26:52

I know this might go against the grain, I've never seen why Kate Moss is a such a style icon (sometimes think she has a tendency to look a little scruffy). Also agree about Alexa Cheung.

Stokey38 Sat 13-Aug-11 22:29:18

See, I think Alexa Chung looks amazing. Kate Middleton though, just dull.

Gastonladybird Sat 13-Aug-11 22:31:30

Agree with most of these (bar Kate moss who I do like) but Emma watson .. That seems to be any youngish star in public eye is now an icon of style hmm

Stokey38 Sat 13-Aug-11 22:33:09

Oh yes, Emma Watson. A child in women's clothes. Ditto Katie Holmes.

RedBlanket Sat 13-Aug-11 22:35:47

Poor Alexa! At least though if l

RedBlanket Sat 13-Aug-11 22:36:12

Oops should have said

At least she l

S

applecrumbleandcream Sat 13-Aug-11 22:36:58

Yes agree, Kate Middleton very very dowdy and boring though I suppose she has to conform to a certain 'style' being part of the Royal family.

superjobee Sat 13-Aug-11 22:38:44

alexa chung was the very first bint that popped in my head very very closely followed by that twat from harry potter with the boy hair? and carey mulligan i think her name is. it seems any young girl who dresses like a twat is a 'fashion icon' im 23 and i dont know anybody who dresses like them!

RedBlanket Sat 13-Aug-11 22:39:49

Bloody phone, not that smart eh?

Anyway, Alexa, at least she looks like she chooses her own clothes. Most slebs wear what the stylist tells them to wear.

I think Katie Holmes looks great, but I dont believe for a minute she picks her own outfits. Posh obviously introduced her to a good stylist.

Gastonladybird Sat 13-Aug-11 22:40:12

Yes would exempt Kate Middleton as I think she does ok given attention / constraints of being a royal and I quite like her for recycling stuff.

Also does style icon mean people who set themselves out by what they do(fashion ed, designer or design collaboration ) rather than people who get picked om as they are a star ?

applecrumbleandcream Sat 13-Aug-11 22:41:12

I like Emma Watson's style, at least it's not dull smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now