Talk

Advanced search

Different curls for curly hair?

(24 Posts)
WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 12-Aug-11 16:28:13

I have natural curly hair which I wash and put curl cream on at night, and then go to bed with it damp and wake up with nice corkscrew curls. It's fine but I think it would be nice to go for different curls sometimes - larger ones!

How do I achieve this? I'm thinking curlers although I did try that once and when I woke up my hair was still damp so when I took the curlers out the curls didn't stay.

I also can't use velcro type ones or styling brushes with bristles as they get entangled in my hair and make it fuzzy. So I need something smooth.

Any ideas?

skyebluepink Fri 12-Aug-11 17:23:59

Here are your options: hot rollers which you do with bone dry hair, put in when theyre hot, wait till they are cold take out and there you have bouncy curly hair. This option is harder because really you need practise to get the curl nice and smooth and actually putting rollers in takes time.

You could also try bendy rollers but you'll get really really curly hair. Smaller curls. Eighties perm style.

Or use a babyliss curling conical wand. My fav so far Again, blow dry hair till it's totally dry and wrap hair round wand in sections. Start from neck work up till crown then do sides Use mousse before blowdrying. This way the curl is less period drama more modern but not in that square curl way that curling With straightners gives. Curling curly hair with straightners IMO takes the life out of your hair.

SamBS Fri 12-Aug-11 18:40:56

I have naturally curly hair and often style it by twisting sections, the bigger the section the larger the resulting curl.
After I wash it I blot it dry then add a curl cream or similar, then take a small hadful of hair and twist it around and around until its twisted up, then go onto next section (tricky to explain, but you might have had your hair done this way at hairdressers).
Also I find that if I put a hair turban/towel wrap on when hair is damp before I go to bed the curls are bigger and looser than if I have just damp hair loosely drying.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sat 13-Aug-11 08:34:08

skyebluepink I like the sound of the heated rollers. The bendy ones sound like they would give me curls like I already have and really I am looking for a different curl. Would like a different style really but you have to work with what you've got! The same with the babyliss curling conical wand, not sure that would be different to what I have. Are they very big? Wouldn't blow dry my hair first though (or do you mean blow dry straight?) as otherwise my hair would be so bit and fluffy it would block out the sun! Do you have curly hair? Just because that sounds like the method of a straight hair person. And how do you curl hair with straightners?

SamBS The twisting up with I do when my hair is dry the day after the wash to get an extra day out of it. I twist the whole lot (thin hair) into one big twist/bun on my head before bed so the next day it's not tangly etc.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sat 13-Aug-11 08:36:10

SamBS sorry forgot to ask, do you pin your hair up or just tuck it into itself? My hair has never been done at the hairdressers. I have a trim and then they just look confused at my head so I end up putting it in a ponytail and sorting it out at home! I really need a good hairdresser but how do you find one who knows what to do with curly hair?!

mumatron Sat 13-Aug-11 08:47:52

I've got naturally curly hair, when I want a bigger, looser curl I blow dry it straight. Sometimes I will run the straighteners over it, depending on how fluffy it is. To curl it I use a couple of different 'no heat' methods. I can't link from this phone, but try searching on you tube for sock bun curls, it really works.

The other way I do it is a bit like rag curling. Take 2 strips of cloth, I use a cut up tea towel. Section the hair into two, like pigtails. Wrap the hair up to Just behind your ears and tie. Do same on the other side. Sleep with them in and in the morning just untie and seperate the curls. This methods works well on my long hair but not so good on shorter cuts I think.

skyebluepink Sat 13-Aug-11 08:51:08

WGME
yes I have very curly hair - very eighties corkscrew hair! I also work with hair and wigs.

In order to change the way your hair curls you need to get it under control which is why you have to blow dry it. An inevitability of the blowdrying is that it will go fluffy and big but then you regain control by using heat to curl it - how you want.

The heated rollers are good but tricky and the good thing about the wand is it doesnt need to be blow dried you could do it with your hair left to dry on its own and see what happens. I have had years of trying to do stuff to my hair and other peoples hair and was v imprssed with the conical wand.

sams method is also something I have tried though it doesn't give me particularly different curls - just more defined and less frizzy. But that might be the best way for you so have a go.

There are other ways (pin curling etc) but I am bearing in mind that you are doing this to yourself so I gave you the easiest to do to yourself options!

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sat 13-Aug-11 09:06:49

mumatron Can you explain that again? How do you wrap the fabric around the hair? Will look up bun curling.

skyebluepink Yeah I do find it hard to do my own hair, mostly because I get achey arms! So you're saying you can use the conical wand on dry hair and on blowdried hair? What sort of curl does that give?

skyebluepink Sat 13-Aug-11 10:19:42

its a pretty romantic curl that looks done but not overly so - it is very easy to do as well. I do it after leaving it to dry naturally and then blow drying a bit at the end - to make the hair more manageable.

iamabadger Sun 14-Aug-11 17:33:48

I "recurl" my natural ringletty curls with my GHD's, the easiest wasy to describen it is do it as if you were scoring a ribbon with scissors, clamp the hair where you want the curl to start and flip the straighteners round towards your head and pull them through. When i get to the end of the strand I sort of wrap the whole strand round the straighteners and clamp for a few seconds. My hair is very curly but very soft and loses shape easily, so going over the curls with heat helps set it. Anyone got any good recommendations for products for fine curls? Frizzease just weighs it down <slight hijack>

mumatron Sun 14-Aug-11 19:39:19

hmm my explanation is a bit crap isnt it?

have a look here I found this one a bit hard to get right but it does give fab results.

or try my fav I only separate into 2 sections rather than 3. It doesn't really make any difference.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 25-Aug-11 14:36:31

iamabadger I use Boots Curl cream. It's in a pink pot and is very cheap but works really well.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 25-Aug-11 14:42:26

mumatron Sorry took me ages to realise you had posted again. I like the second way. Might try that later!

crazynanna Thu 25-Aug-11 14:47:40

Try this site.

tightlycurly.com/welcome/

LeBJOF Thu 25-Aug-11 14:51:37

That second one looks fab! I am very tempted to try it.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 26-Aug-11 09:06:38

mumatron Ooh also, does my hair need need to be straight before I do that? I'm guessing it probably does. Was tring to avoid heat styling as my hair is weak.

TrillianAstra Fri 26-Aug-11 09:23:51

That second one the girl has so much beautiful hair!

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 26-Aug-11 09:51:23

TrillianAstra Yeah, mine's a lot finer unfortuneately.

TrillianAstra Fri 26-Aug-11 10:02:09

I am trying it out right now - instead of straight blowdried hair before bedtime I have washed it, dried it a little bit, and tied it up while damp. I'm working from home today, luckily!

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 26-Aug-11 11:42:57

TrillianAstra Is yours straight or curly? I tried curlers once when my hair was wet and the next morning it was still wet!

TrillianAstra Fri 26-Aug-11 11:43:38

It's curly normally. I usually do as SamBS says and twist/twiddle to make nice curls.

TrillianAstra Fri 26-Aug-11 13:50:09

MY hair is not long enough to do that sock twsty thing. Fail.

mumatron Fri 26-Aug-11 14:04:48

I've done it on curly hair and on straightened. Straightened looked better on mine, I do have quite frizz prone hair though.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Mon 29-Aug-11 09:19:25

Well I tried the sock method the other night. My hair wasn't freshly washed (night before) so was a bit knotty so I brushed it which of course made it fuzzy so I brushed some water through it to calm it down. It was only a little bit damp. Wrapped it up, went to bed . . . next morning it was very curly! More then I expected. The curls weren't as tight as my normal hair but were very "pulled up" so my hair looked shorter. There were also fuzzy horrible bits which couldn't be smoothed out without brushing and brushing would have made me look like I had an afro.

So I think I fucked it up. Ended up putting it into a bun to go out as didn't have time to rewash it.

Ho hum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now