Talk

Advanced search

Going to the theatre. What to wear?

(6 Posts)
wicketkeeper Fri 12-Aug-11 13:46:14

We're off to Stratford at the weekend, at very short notice. We're obviously going to try to see something at the RSC, but if we do it'll be up in the gods or 'restricted view' as there's nothing else available. How dressed-up should I aim for? Will it be a genuine theatre-going crowd, or just American holiday makers in unfortunate slacks?

My options are - 'smart but boring' - black trousers, court shoes, silky top from Coast, black wrap
- 'summery' - white trousers, sparkly ballet flats, floaty top
- 'casual' - black leggings, over-the-hip style smart top
- 'very dressy' - designer frock, pearls.

Which way should I jump - I don't want to be over-dressed, but I don't want to be under-dressed either.
Oh, I'm 50, 5'8", size 10 but with tummy issues.

worldgonecrazy Fri 12-Aug-11 14:45:31

I like the sound of 'smart but boring' and 'summery'.

polyhymnia Sat 13-Aug-11 10:52:09

I haven't been to Stratford for a very long time, but often go in London where really anything goes and the only people that ever look a little awkward to me are those who have consciously 'dressed up'.

So I'd definitely go for the more casual, relaxed options - eg, nice jeans with ditto tunic/ your 'summery' look - but not the smart but boring one and definitely not the 'designer frock with pearls' look. Though a pretty summer dress would be fine if weather allows, dressed down, with ballet flats/ sandals and interesting non-formal jewellery (I personally find 'formal' jewelery a bit aging anyway).

Btw, have just been down at the Chichester theatre festival for a couple of days and was amused to see practically the whole Boden summer catalogue on display!

SevenAgainstThebes Sat 13-Aug-11 11:09:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wicketkeeper Sat 13-Aug-11 13:01:05

Aw - baggy jeans and white trainers was my other option...

Many thanks for all your thoughts. All I have to do now is get some tickets organised.

crazyspaniel Sat 13-Aug-11 16:32:54

Lots of Americans in Stratford at the moment, but also the usual theatregoing crowd! I'm local so see pretty much everything there and nearly always wear jeans. Last time we went, my husband had just had a knee operation and had to wear shorts and sandals. He did look a little underdressed, but jeans are fine. Very dressy will be out of place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now