Talk

Advanced search

Oh dear! Dh has just sent me a photo of DD's new haircut.

(20 Posts)
Ormirian Thu 11-Aug-11 13:16:53

He reckons it looks nice but DD is in tears.

It doesn't look nice. It is not at all what she wanted and I am not surprised she is upset. She wouldn't have it cut for ages and it got really long and straggly.

My fault for not taking her myself but I'm at work and she is busy on Saturday <sigh>.

So the problems are the fringe is too short (FFS why would any decent hairdresser give her a fringe well above her frigging eyebrows?). it was meant to be a longer fringe that she could wear over one eye sort of thing. And it's been cut straight around the bottom whereas all the photos she has seen that she liked were layered. Not enough has been taken off so it still looks straggly.

So I will be taking her back to another hairdressers to get it sorted but I fon't know what to do. No problem with the length and the layers I guess although it looks so thin now I am not sure about having it layered TBH but the fringe is a wait it out sort of thing.

Bugger!

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Thu 11-Aug-11 13:19:03

You let DH take her to the hairdressers?? I'd do it myself rather than have that happen grin

Poor wee mite - well, as you say, take her to another hairdressers and get the best fix you can, then she will just have to wait until it grows and never let Dad take her again!

Ormirian Thu 11-Aug-11 13:20:44

She's not that wee sadly sad She's 12 so it really matters.

I expected her to tell the hairdresser what she wanted with DH as backup - but apparently she went really shy. I told her to look through the books of photos - they have loads there - she didn't want anything all that unusual.

Grrr!

NettoSuperstar Thu 11-Aug-11 13:21:25

Im currently in the hairdressers with dd and had to promise her her she'd like her hair. I just hope she does or Im so dead!

ajandjjmum Thu 11-Aug-11 13:23:18

Poor thing. At this point I suppose 'it'll grow' is of no comfort to her. Tell her hair grows faster in the summer (think I heard that somewhere) and it'll be fine when she goes back to school.

And book a day off next time! grin

ajandjjmum Thu 11-Aug-11 13:24:13

Netto
That reminds me of when we moved house when DS was 4. Had to promise him that if he didn't like it we'd move back to the old house. May have been difficult!

ReadyToDrink Thu 11-Aug-11 13:25:37

Buy her some nice clips to hold her fringe back while it grows.

PlumSykes Thu 11-Aug-11 13:32:16

Oh no! Oh no, oh no! Poor sausage. Her fringe will be lots longer by the start of term, at least.

Get a good couple of inches chopped off, with some layering around her face. It will be fine, it's always a shock to have a new 'do. Oh, but bless her!

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Thu 11-Aug-11 13:35:09

Orm - I know she's 12 (well thought she was almost 13 actually - maybe getting a bit ahead of myself) - I keep forgetting I'm under a bit of a name change and no one knows who they are really talking to ... oops!

It will grow - hopefully enough by the time school goes back! My fringe grows really really quickly, hopefully hers will too!

Ormirian Thu 11-Aug-11 13:39:41

Aha!

<peers under disguise>

ClaimedByMe Thu 11-Aug-11 13:40:06

Oh no! My dd is going with my mum and sis at 3 so they can get theirs done, she wants it really short but they have been instructed an inch off at the most, shes only 8 tho so i think as i have to tie it back to avoid nits i should get more say!

Hope she gets it sorted!

miche8 Thu 11-Aug-11 13:45:04

oh dear, do you let her use straighteners? would straightening the fringe make it look slightly longer? few weeks until school will make a difference.

Ormirian Thu 11-Aug-11 13:59:50

Thanks everyone.

yes, a few weeks will be enough for the fringe to look normal I guess. I'm not sure straighteners would help sadly even if we had any grin but I may have to invest in some for her soon.

i am just disappointed (as is she I expect).

Timpson Thu 11-Aug-11 14:04:58

would she be willing to go for a nice feathery pixie cut? So all the straggly bits are gone for good. Then grow it back over winter?

JemimaMuddledUp Thu 11-Aug-11 14:06:49

I was going to suggest straightening the fringe (if they cut mine too short straightening it makes it look better, OTOH when it needs cutting straightening it means I can't see properly).

Then take her back to get the rest sorted out in a more layered style.

Timpson Thu 11-Aug-11 14:06:52

like this

Meow75 Thu 11-Aug-11 14:17:07

Do you think that this evening, as well as the consoling you'll have to do sad, it's a good moment to remind your DD why it is SO important to make clear that she expresses what she wants from a service provider. She doesn't want to get shy at the age of, eg, 22 and be unable to express her wishes with hair colour or something really serious like a birth plan. I'm not suggesting you give that as a specific example to your DD, I just wanted to make my point.

Also, remind her that having a hair cut you don't like is like a woman's rite of passage. Perhaps, you could have a chat with another hairdresser when the time is right who might give your DD advice on the best way and the right time to express your view on a haircut/do.

GraduallyGoingInsane Thu 11-Aug-11 17:10:37

Poor thing, a bad hair cut is so upsetting. Whilst it grows, can she pin the fringe back? My DD1 has a fringe, but pins it back almost all the time. Not to the side, but straight back, almost into a bump?

I tried to find a picture of what I mean - this is the best I can do:

www.gallery.becomegorgeous.com/reese_witherspoon_hairstyles/reese_witherspoon_pinned_back_bangs-3377.html

Maybe a night of experimenting with hair grips, lots of cuddles and hot chocolate tonight I reckon.

harassedandherbug Thu 11-Aug-11 17:15:24

Oh poor thing!

I recently had a fringe cut in, and it's far too short, so I've been clipping it back just so I don't have to look at it. Even two weeks growth has made a difference though......

Ormirian Mon 15-Aug-11 10:15:44

Thankyou all.

DD is happy with it now. She had it cut dry (NEVER a good idea IMO but I forgot to remind her of that). After a wash and a blow dry it look much better. In fact she looks lovely IMO. It's nice to be able to see her eyes (I realise that is an old-person's thing to say) grin

She actually asked for the fringe to be cut shorter - apparently when it was eye-brow level it made her look 'as if I had a uni-brow' hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now