Talk

Advanced search

I need wedding dress inspiration

(13 Posts)
Unlurked Thu 11-Aug-11 11:20:34

I'm going wedding dress shopping soon and dreading it! I hate shopping at the best of times but taking my mum, mil and sister with me is, I imagine, going to be a whole new world of pain. So I'd like to have some idea of what I'm looking for and what might suit my body shape and I was hoping that there would be someone here who likes this kind of thing and could help!

I'm 25, quite short (about 5ft) and a size 8 or 10. If anyone has any suggestions they'd be gratefully received!

sparkle1977 Thu 11-Aug-11 11:24:14

Have you had a look through any bridal mags to see what style you like the look of and what you definitely don't like ? That might help as a starter.

I'd just go into the bridal shops and just try on whatever takes your eye to be honest and see what it looks like on.

Unlurked Thu 11-Aug-11 11:26:47

Ooh I hadn't thought of magazines, thanks!

I'm slightly out of my depth with this whole wedding business if that wasn't already blindingly obvious grin

CMOTdibbler Thu 11-Aug-11 12:00:44

My theory is to try on a dress of each rough style first - column, big skirt/fitted top, corset top/straight skirt, medieval, 50's, and get your family (are they the sort to be brutally honest btw ? My friends mum just said beautiful to them all) to take notes on what each one does, and doesn't do for you. Then you can work from there, knowing that a straight skirt makes you look all bum (obviously I'm making this up), and your norks need a bit of flattery so a corset wasn't working blah de blah.

If you are worried about taking your mum/mil/sister with you, you could go with a trusted friend round a few shops first to get some practice in and take note of the labels/designers you like.

You'll be amazed how quickly you can reduce the stock of a shop down hugely though, and its really not that stressful

DrunkenDaisy Thu 11-Aug-11 14:16:06

If I was getting married again i'd choose one of these dresses: www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/categorylist/garment/wedding?resetFilters=true

maybe the second one in.

Unlurked Thu 11-Aug-11 15:53:23

Brilliant, thank you both. Feeling slightly calmer now!

wineandcheese Thu 11-Aug-11 16:57:26

You could take a look at a blog such as Rock My Wedding for some inspiration. (Lots of real weddings and much cheaper than the mags!)

I agree with CMOT - try lots of styles on at first to narrow it down.

I was completely clueless when I started looking for my wedding dress. I also hate shopping. I found it easier to go on my own - less pressure. It took a while to find the style I liked (knee length and pretty un-bridal - but luckily anything goes these days!).

LuckyMrsT Thu 11-Aug-11 19:44:53

Net-a-Porter have some goooooooooooooooorgeous dresses in. Not sure what your budget is? Inspiration if nothing else. My fave is the strapless Gucci at the bottom. Or the short one shoulder Lanvin (except it's over 4 grand shock).

Unlurked Thu 11-Aug-11 20:29:31

That blog looks good, thank you!

MrsT there are some beautiful dresses there, most are ever so slightly over budget but nice to look grin

Dilligaf81 Thu 11-Aug-11 21:23:26

Get recomendation for a good bridal store, anyone working there should know what would suit your shape, usually the opposite of what you thought.
Bridal dresses dont go by the usual rules for body shapes etc.

If its a good shop you'll get a glass of bubbly that helped me through the day.

MissMalprop Fri 12-Aug-11 15:05:09

Hello, sounds like you've got a great figure, so you'll look gorgeous. Though I would say that if you're on the petite side maybe a 3/4 length or tea dress might be more flattering as anything full length might drown you. Soem ideas here www.highsocietybridal.co.uk/2011-trends-short-n-sassy/
www.justinalexanderbridal.com/jar/8465

KristinaM Fri 12-Aug-11 15:18:42

There is no rule that says you have to go with yor family. Nothing to stop you doing a quick reccy first by yourself or with a friend. Just dont tell amyone wink. I went by myself as i hate shopping and also didnt want to be pressurised into anything i didnt really like. But i was much older thna you and it IS easier to go agaist traditionl /expectations when you are paying for it youresfl. So i understand you dont want to upset anyone

Great advice here to try on lots of styles first. Its also worth trying on evening dresses, not just " wedding" styles, as they are often very boringsimilar

emmalou82 Fri 12-Aug-11 16:23:43

This might sound a bit weird but for my wedding i really hated the idea of bridal shops and wanted something a wee bit different. i bought 3 different dresses on ebay (just make sure you know your measurements). wore one on the big day and re- sold the othet two. got a beautiful sassy holford gown for £300, was originally £2200!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now