Talk

Advanced search

Boden Rainyday Mac or Merrell Wakefield?

(14 Posts)
Needabitofsunshine Thu 11-Aug-11 07:29:21

For those much too common wet rainy school run days. Not walking it every day but a fair amount of time. I'd like to be stylish and dry. I know they're both common on here, so any comment on fit, flatteringness etc? I'm a 5ft 6 size 12. I'd be looking at black in Rainyday Mac and Plum in the Wakefield.

Which shall I go for?

dreghorn Thu 11-Aug-11 07:43:33

I returned my RDM to Boden. It was well made but I don't think it would be that cosy in winter. Reviews seem to suggest that the Merrell will.

Buttoned up the RDM made me look massive. I am a 16 but looked huge in it and given the material, I don't think it would soften.

Can you order both and see?

Needabitofsunshine Thu 11-Aug-11 08:04:53

Thanks! I'm overseas so don't want to order both and have to do expensive returns. Also, I'm somewhere freezing in winter so have my heavy duty down coat for then, so really for autumn & spring only. Would you say size down in RDM or just badly cut?

shelley72 Thu 11-Aug-11 08:08:57

i recently purchased the wakefield (in black) after it was recommended here. it is fab. bum covering, properly waterproof, hooded so no getting wet pushing buggys/holding on to toddlers. i am a similar height/size to you and for a raincoat its quite fitted and so looks fine with trousers for work too to save getting soaked on the walk to the office. i am looking forward to wearing it for the nursery run shortly....!
i hadnt seen the boden mac - but i think they are offering free delivery and free returns at the moment though so you could order both and see which you prefer?

shelley72 Thu 11-Aug-11 08:11:32

sorry x-post didnt see you were overseas..

ameliagrey Thu 11-Aug-11 08:18:31

I returned a RDM in a 10 as it was massive- yet I have a smart Boden coat in a 10 which is fine.

Don't know about the merrell, sorry.

spikemomma Thu 11-Aug-11 23:16:31

I've got the Wakefield; best coat I've ever had. It fits really nicely. People have complimented me a lot on it. It is stylish yet really functional; it's got fasteners in all the right places; waist, wrist, high neck coverage, excellent hood (most I looked at had surprisingly shallow, rubbish hoods or ones that would fall down) utterly heart it! I can't fault it in anyway. Go on, get one!

ballbreaker Thu 11-Aug-11 23:23:04

I bought a Boden Rainyday Mac from 2 years ago and it was useless, arms not waterproof in the slightest=got soaked walking back from nursery which is about a 5 minute walk.

lots33 Fri 12-Aug-11 08:52:12

I have the RDM - I am a size 16 and have it in an 18. I find it comfy and flattering and keeps me pretty dry...but no warmth to it, however, I am a freezer......I am now looking at the Merrell!

3rdnparty Fri 12-Aug-11 09:00:50

I have the wakefield in plum and its fantastic- tis a bit longer than I originally wanted but has been through few torrential downpours and have stayed completely dry - always get positive comments on how it looks as well...its not too warm ok for late spring/early summer- but space for layers when colder

ameliagrey Fri 12-Aug-11 09:08:38

can anyone post a link to the merrell- looked in their website last night but can't see it.

applecrumbleandcream Fri 12-Aug-11 09:44:22

I love the merrell wakefield but not having any luck finding one on line. Just a size 8 on Amazon (which sadly is not me).

Couple of questions, what is it lined with? Is it going to be warm enough in winter or is it really a rain coat?

Needabitofsunshine Fri 12-Aug-11 12:32:27

ooh, more replies. I ended up ordering the RDM in black as I had a couple of other things I wanted to order from Boden anyway so only out one lot of shipping. I did size down though, so hopefully not too snug...

Someone else on here had posted this bargain for the wakefield the other day - hope it can be of use to someone.

applecrumbleandcream Fri 12-Aug-11 14:25:49

Hmmmmmm not sure now about the Merrell now, don't think it's going to be warm enough for this winter.......and I don't do'cold'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now