Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy fabulous really thick (hotel style) sheets?

(29 Posts)
plipplops Wed 10-Aug-11 17:37:06

I want to buy some fitted sheets like the lovely thick ones you get in really nice hotels. I use fitted sheets as I'm too lazy to iron them - are hotel ones just lovely because they wash and press them with some industrial machine? The White Company do some that are 800 thread count (I've bought 300 in the past but they never feel that special) which sound great but I'm reluctant to spend £145 (I know!) on a sheet unless it's going to be BRILLIANT...

starfishmummy Wed 10-Aug-11 17:44:23

Dunelm reckon some of theirs are hotel grade. Cant comment on whether they are because I havent been in a hotel for years.....

kenobi Wed 10-Aug-11 17:50:54

Look for a brand called Sheridan which do 1000 thread count. I know House of Fraser stock them. You will pay A LOT for high thread count but they do last for a very long time which is another reason hotels use them.

there's a website called king of cotton which seem to do high thread count very reasonably but no idea if they are any good.

TK max, all the way, I have 800 thread count sheets and pillowcases from there and a king size duvet set from Sheridan which was £29.00 reduced from £160.00.

I only buy bedding and towels from TK Max.

gettingolderbytheday Wed 10-Aug-11 19:26:58

I've tried the Dunelm ones and thought they were very soft but not hardwearing. I have some good sheets from wallace sacks online. If you look around there are usually some online discount codes. There has been a 50% one but that has just expired but if you're not in a hurry another will come along in a couple of months. King of Cotton has good reviews and they are good quality. If you want white you can get 1000 thread but if you want ivory probably 600 or 800 is the best you can normally do. Beware though, some threads are 'short,' some are 'mixed' and some are 'long', some are single ply, some woven together. You want long ones that are single ply really.

dinkystinky Wed 10-Aug-11 19:29:12

King of Cotton are great - and not a bad price either

vjg13 Wed 10-Aug-11 19:43:43

Just bought these from House of Fraser and they feel lovely. Can't vouch for how long they'll last.

pissedrightoff Thu 11-Aug-11 00:46:37

I seem to be banging on about QVC quite a bit this week (I promise I don't work for them).

'Northern Nights' do gorgeous sheets and their pillows are devine.

plipplops Thu 11-Aug-11 08:45:24

Thanks, that's really helpful. I've bought the Dunelm hotel ones before and managed to tear one the other day (maybe my hideously rough feet??). The thought of TK Maxx with 2 kids makes me want to cry but I might send my childless sister in there, think we'll just blow the budget and find some 100 tc ones, if I'm going to spend the money they might as well be the best I can get. Do they really need ironing though (never seems worth it with fitted sheets, and it's a superking bed so they're so huge I never know where to start. Oh and also I HATE ironing...

chopstheduck Thu 11-Aug-11 08:47:50

we've got sheets with a very high thread count, and they are so much more luxurious. I'd say it is worth the money, though they do feel really soft, but I wouldn't say they are thick like hotel ones.

Ours came from debenhams and fraser. We've not had any problems wiht them ripping neither.

OiMissus Thu 11-Aug-11 08:56:45

Hi, I bought the Sheridan 1000 count sheets from Selfridges as I wanted the ultimate luxury - the hotel sheets - and splashed out. I regret it! 1000 is too hard/thick! They aren't comfortable, they are quite hard/scratchy, and don't wash very well. They also attract lots of fluff somehow - which doesn't look great on crisp white. I haven't tried the 800 count or 600 count, but I'd suggest you get those - 1000 is just too much! Good luck.

gettingolderbytheday Thu 11-Aug-11 09:15:01

plipplops I have never known a sheet tear but my Dunelm hotel sheets did after a year or so and I don't know how. I think there must have been a fault in it but I'm surprised you've had one too. Interesting

noddyholder Thu 11-Aug-11 09:27:35

John Lewis do a high thread count one

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Aug-11 10:04:14

This is my area!

Ok, I have White company westbourne bedding, 300tc which is getting softer with each wash but my big square pillows have 600tc cases in cotton sateen which is just heavenly.

When you compare White company prices they are really not that pricey and it lasts years.

All my bedding, duvets pillows etc are White company and they do last the course.

I had selfridges 400tc bedding once and it was rubbish compared to White company.

wrigglytummy Thu 11-Aug-11 10:39:28

Hi, just to add another one into the mix. I have the 1000tc stuff from Duvet & pillow warehouse. Shocking cutomer service & delivery times, but lovely bedding at an affordable price...take your chances if you want to.

DorisVinyard Thu 11-Aug-11 10:39:32

I've got these and they are thick and heavy but also very soft:

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Linea+500+thread+count+king+fitted+sheet+pair+white/115013263,default,pd.html

veederjd Thu 11-Apr-13 18:33:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TravelinColour Thu 11-Apr-13 18:39:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Beaverfeaver Thu 11-Apr-13 18:41:58

I have dunelm ones which are fantastic

jamaisjedors Thu 11-Apr-13 18:48:02

Don't you have to iron them a lot to make them comfortable to sleep on when they are like hotel sheets?

I think that could be the secret to it, which doesn't sound like you!

Just saying... wink

Lambzig Thu 11-Apr-13 19:12:55

Tk maxx. I got a 1000 thread count duvet set there for £29. It's absolute heaven.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 11-Apr-13 19:28:07

I have 1000tc I bought from King of Cotton maybe ten years ago. I wash at 60 and dry outdoors if pos, but bought a 9kg tumbler recently (up from a 5.5kg) which can take them. The set just gets softer and more luxurious with every use, they are my most favourite set ever, though the ties at the bottom of the duvet cover have unstitched themselves over the years.

I've never ironed them, far too heavy, and creases tend to fall out when they're on the bed.

And KoC pretty good prices, and excellent customer services. smile

Corygal Thu 11-Apr-13 20:10:48

I'm another TK fan - they sometimes do Frette, off yer Ritz and Lanesborough, etc.

foxysocks Thu 11-Apr-13 20:39:42

ours are from king of cotton, we have one 400set and one 1000. they've washed well so far and weren't too expensive.

cathers Thu 11-Apr-13 21:00:04

Or Achica? I have just received delivery of some gorgeous white sateen striped bedding from Nimbus. It feels far thicker and better quality than our white company bedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now