Talk

Advanced search

School shoes acceptable to both me and a 13 yr old?

(27 Posts)
DrGruntFotter Wed 10-Aug-11 17:06:36

Message withdrawn

jesuswhatnext Wed 10-Aug-11 17:10:18

sorry, you are on a hiding to nothing! there is no such thing! grin

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 10-Aug-11 17:19:15

I'm a podiatrist, she needs a flat lace/buckle/velcro fastening that fastens over the bridge of the foot with a nice round toe.

Good luck with that!

Seriously though her feet still have cartilage and so are still mouldable. Feet dont become all bone untill 18.

I have had seven year olds brought to me because they have corns on their little toes from slip on school shoes. If they wear pointy slip on shoes too young they do run the risk of hammer toes and bunions but try telling that to a 13 year old to whom nothing bad is ever going to happen!.

DrGruntFotter Wed 10-Aug-11 17:29:35

Message withdrawn

bellavita Wed 10-Aug-11 17:44:45

Sketchers for girls?

Bandwithering Wed 10-Aug-11 17:45:26

can she wear addidas runners like these?

these look like they might fit the bill but who knows? maybe they are like SO last year Mom

Madlizzy Wed 10-Aug-11 17:54:05

www.startriteshoes.com/girls/school-shoes/chloe

www.startriteshoes.com/girls/school-shoes/maria-ii

The above two were considered acceptable by my 12 year old, and she chose one more which I can't find at the moment, but has a thin T bar strap on a ballet style pump which are quite trendy at the moment.

One more I've found is

www.startriteshoes.com/girls/school-shoes/phoebe

DrGruntFotter Wed 10-Aug-11 17:55:26

Message withdrawn

DrGruntFotter Wed 10-Aug-11 17:57:49

Message withdrawn

Hellishday Wed 10-Aug-11 20:43:28

I am lucky that dd going into yr 10 still wants to wear Clarks.....she knows her feet hurt in cheap shoes, and doesn't give a stuff about what anyone says...though no one has.
Good luck!

PlumSykes Wed 10-Aug-11 20:52:41

Had this with DH's niece last year-why getting her school shoes fell to me, I've no idea! Anyway, after rowing about it all day, in all the shops, we got her some Hush Puppies in Barratts, which neither of us hated. They have a few different brands, so may have something she'll tolerate. www.barratts.co.uk/en/kids/school-shoes/girls-school-shoes-sizes-12-to-6-junior-shoes/?pag=1

mynaughtylittlesister Wed 10-Aug-11 20:57:51

Have you thought of Hushpuppies?? I got DD2 who is almost 14 some today (she can be very fussy, but even these passed her high standard!)

www.hushpuppies.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/24776Y/0/Youth/Buttonburst-SNR?dimensions=0

Have never done a link before so not sure it will work - sorry if it doesn't - I am so not computer literate!

mynaughtylittlesister Wed 10-Aug-11 20:59:06

sad didn't work - what did I do wrong??

herbietea Wed 10-Aug-11 21:03:49

Message withdrawn

Fuctifano Wed 10-Aug-11 21:25:26

My DD has had these for school (another school with a strict dress code). She found them comfortable and they lasted the whole school year.
www.barratts.co.uk/en/skechers-ribbon-trim-sporty-shoe-171651

kerfuzzled Wed 10-Aug-11 21:32:57

I've had the same with my seven year old today!!!

Picked out some sturdy sensible shoes for her to try - she says everyone will laugh at her they're not cool hmm

Sure I wasn't thinking that at her age. Looks to be some nice ones in barratts thought will have to give them a try

WhatsItAllAboutAlfie Wed 10-Aug-11 23:35:35

Get brogues, they are very sturdy, good for the feet, stay on, and are fashionable!! My daughter is 14 and had a pair last year from Schuh and they were fab and we have just found another pair, in black leather from New Look around £30. Happy shopping!

Yes to brogues - they satisfied Yr 9 and yr 11 dds last year and lasted all year! DD1's were from Topshop and dd2's from Clarks.

Kbear Wed 10-Aug-11 23:46:21

Kickers - DD had some and they lasted a whole school year... £60 shocking on the day BUT they only pair I had to buy all year so not so bad.

ambkad Thu 11-Aug-11 00:10:25

agree with Kbear

my DD has worn kicker mary janes for the last 3 years. £60 each time, but, have found they have lasted a year each time.

gettingeasier Thu 11-Aug-11 08:19:10

Wish I had seen this with those links a few weeks ago

DD 12 yo and I had a running battle on school shoes , most dc wear plimsolls or trainers at her school, eventually I caved in and she has a pair of Converse shoes.

Now it will be impossible to get her out of them

Just wish the school would stick to their own rules

bruffin Thu 11-Aug-11 08:47:07

My 13yr old is quite happy to wear thebrogue style In fact she aske for them!

chopstheduck Thu 11-Aug-11 08:56:19

I've now got this problem with dd, who is only just going up to secondary and has already insisted she needs pumps or else. We got the additional problem that she wears orthotics due to hypermobile ankles. I got hers from TKMaxx, the Pod brand. They are lovely and sturdy and supportive. If you google the Pod zia, it looks like a sturdy ballet pump style, They also do mary jane style.

I don't rate kickers personally. Splashed out on those for my three boys and they didn't last even half a term. Ds1's wore down the sole, and the dts, the velcro was rubbish and constantly came undone.

DrGruntFotter Thu 11-Aug-11 11:50:13

Message withdrawn

GraduallyGoingInsane Thu 11-Aug-11 17:28:50

School shoes is a nightmare, isn't it? DD1 is hankering after some brogues, so that's one down.

DD2 wants ballet flats - thankfully the school says they can't be slip ons, so its just a case of finding some sturdier Mary Janes - any ideas?

DD3 has these to start secondary with - and is seeking continual reassurance from the older two that they are 'cool'.

DD4 is only 8, but I bet I'll end up with a battle there too. At least I drop her off at Primary, so there's less of an issue with a long walk...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now