Talk

Advanced search

eye shadow help (which colour for a pale freckled redhead?)

(7 Posts)
9reenflower Wed 10-Aug-11 16:47:27

I have been using eye liner for my eyes for the last decade. nothing else. somehow I am getting adventurous and decided to try at last eye shadow. just have no idea whatsoever which colours to try.

I am pale and have freckles, my hair's colour is copper (natural colour) and my eyes are brownish-greenish.

which colours do you reckon will look good on me and which ones should I avoid?

TIA

goinnowhere Wed 10-Aug-11 17:22:26

Maybe a subtle purple? Maybe this? It would bring out the colour of your eyes nicely. Just not too bold.

wildfig Wed 10-Aug-11 19:58:29

I've got very similar colouring, and have a variety of cream/stone/brown palettes which are easy to create a polished look (Bobbi Brown's neutrals are good, as is No7's Good Earth 3-shadow palette), with a flick of black gel liner for definition.

Once you get confident about colour it's surprising how flattering bold eyeshadow can be on pale skin, but you have to keep everything else quite muted to avoid looking like a tranny Barbie. Purples/lilacs are good for bringing out the green in your eyes, but I avoid anything with red/pink tones as it can make me look a bit rabbity. Sea-green/turquoise can be gorgeous in a mermaidy, 1930s style; I use a chunky jade pencil to line my eyes, then press MAC's Steamy into it to set the colour and make it last a bit longer.

Greys are draining, and I find blues quite cold/old-fashioned, but simple metallics can look amazing on pale skin. If you go to one of the more 'subtle' make-up counters like Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier, they'll show you how to start off gently, then build up to more dramatic looks. I've had fantastic no-pressure makeovers at MAC, using colours I'd never have picked out for myself - if you don't like it, you can always wash it off...

Cleverything Wed 10-Aug-11 20:10:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

9reenflower Wed 10-Aug-11 22:12:35

thank you. was actually also thinking brownish or purple for some reason... :-)

brighthair Wed 10-Aug-11 22:58:16

Wildfig just wrote everything I wanted to say!!
I am same colouring and wear loads of different colours but my faves are mac steamy with a gold shadow and mac woodwinked with mulch

Lucylucy57 Thu 11-Aug-11 14:16:40

Totally agree with Wildfig! I have exactly the same colouring and tend towards browny tones for day and lilacs, purples, emeralds and blue/greens when Im feeling daring. Im a big fan of bright lippy too. I like clashing the lipstick shade with my hair - fusia pinks, deep berry colours, primary reds, oranges. If Im wearing a bright lip then only mascara and a nude eyeshadow works better. Agree with brighthair that mac products are brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now