Talk

Advanced search

Lush- whats the issue?

(12 Posts)
LordOfTheFlies Wed 10-Aug-11 13:59:24

I didn't want to post on Chat or AIBU because I'll get told look on flippin Google.

I know there are moral/ethical issues.
What ar they.
Are Lush an animal friendly company.?

I don't buy from Lush TBH, the smell of the shop is enough to keep me out.
TIA.

OohThatsMyTractor Wed 10-Aug-11 14:18:49

I buy online that way I don't have to go into the stinky shop! Yes they are against animal testing, they're environmentally friendly and they use recycled/recylable packaging, I think a lot of things are Fairtrade where they can be. They avoid using chemical nasties and preservatives, so things do have a more limited shelf life. This link tells you about their policies etc.

I think they're very good and have used them for a long time but I am selective about what I use. Strangely enough (with the exception of the bath bombs and probably the soaps) a lot of their products have a fairly subltle scent, it's just combining them all in the shop that makes the overwhelming pong! I use the 'Big' shampoo for finehair which is the best shampoo that I've ever used and the 'Angels on Bare Skin' face cleanser which is brilliant.

If you are prepared to brave the shop then they are brilliant at giving you little free sample pots of the different products that you'd like to try with no obligation to buy anything. I have never used anything from Lush without trying a sample first. I wish more companies would do this when I think of the amount of money I must have wasted over the years on products that I used a few times and then decided I didn't like them.

My main reasons for using Lush are for the environmental aspects but equally I'm not prepared to compromise and use rubbish products that don't do the job, IMHO Lush strike the balance well.

HTH

Pootles2010 Wed 10-Aug-11 14:23:52

A lot of people take issue with them supporting anti-hunt groups.

I personally take issue with their rather simplistic and naive attitude towards animal testing.

MissBeehiving Wed 10-Aug-11 14:32:23

I take exception to the way in which the glitter in their bath bombs sticks to your nancy.

worldgonecrazy Wed 10-Aug-11 14:33:22

There was an organised boycott of Lush by some people when they donated all the profits from one product to an extremist anti-hunting group (The Hunt Saboteurs) who had been linked to terrorist activities. I don't think it would have been such an issue if Lush had donated the money to a more moderate group such as the League Against Cruel Sports.

I take exception to the smell!

And the fact that all the bits in their stuff takes fecking days to wash out of the bath/shower.

It is a shop for teenagers to waste their pocket money in IMO.

AlpinePony Wed 10-Aug-11 14:42:46

grin @ "sticks to your nancy"

The products are lovely - their political agendas well, each to their own.

The prices seem to have gone through the roof over the last few years too and I find it somewhat grating that I've found their products cheaper in the "most expensive town in Canada" - rather than a UK high street.

AlpinePony Wed 10-Aug-11 14:43:13

Oh... and a lot of the bloody bombs/melts/etc. seem to clog drains - be warned! angry

nickelbabe Wed 10-Aug-11 14:44:16

god, the smell!

I do appreciate their ethics - that's good, but there is too strong a perfume.

I can't even walk past a shop without my eyes streaming and my nose streaming.
sad

UsingMainlySpoons Wed 10-Aug-11 14:44:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jade80 Wed 10-Aug-11 14:46:10

They support 'activists' who claim to support animal rights, but are actually just thugs who harm animals themselves. I will never buy from them.

givemushypeasachance Wed 10-Aug-11 14:57:59

I think most products are actually made in their factory in Poole, though individual shops quite often do demos and have "parties" where you can try your hand at making things like bath bombs and face masks.

Lush support a very wide range of causes - they have a "charity pot" moisturiser where the proceeds all go to charities, usually smaller and less well-known ones, with the details on the website. The founders also make large donations. I doubt everyone would agree with asbolutely every cause and group, but they are very open about where the money goes.

I love the naked products like shampoo bars and some of their soaps like Honey I Washed The Kids are gorgeous; they're pricier than what I would usually buy but smell lovely and I respect their principles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now