Talk

Advanced search

Interview attire?

(16 Posts)
sweetheart Wed 10-Aug-11 13:34:39

Well, I have my first job interview in 10 years on Monday so now I am worrying what to wear!

I currently work in an office - smart but not super corporate smart. I will be going to the interview straight from here so can't come into work too suited and booted as they'll know something is odd about that.

I don't own a suit but I do have a few pairs of smart work trousers and a couple of blazer type jackets - but they are not smart suit jackets. I don't own any shirts - can't stand them!

So - what do you think I could get away with wearing to work that is smart enough for an interview? Do you think it's ok to go in a blazer rather than a suit jacket? Would maybe a dress be ok, I could put a blazer over the top - a la Kate Middleton?!?!?

HELP!!!!

tethersend Wed 10-Aug-11 14:22:35

I would wear a blouse and a pencil skirt and take a suit jacket with you.

What's the interview for?

what size/budget?

sweetheart Wed 10-Aug-11 14:41:37

I don't own a blouse - I do have a pencil skirt but not a jacket that matches. The skirt is navy blue and the jacket is a different navy blue, or I have a beige jacket.

The interview is for a similar role to the one I am currently in - small office, new business.

I'm a size 8-10 on top and 10-12 on bottom - wasn't hoping to use what I already have rather than going out and buying a suit for 1 interview.

tethersend Wed 10-Aug-11 15:00:18

You could team up this blouse with a navy pencil skirt and navy jacket, although not sure about mismatching...

Alternatively, this dress with this jacket is a great bargain (you can get the whole suit for less than £50), looks smart enough with the jacket, and casual enough without so nobody at work suspects a thing wink

sweetheart Wed 10-Aug-11 15:41:16

thanks tethers but gold and blouses in general just don't suit me - if I'm not comfortable I'll fidget which isn't a good look in an interview.

Perhaps I need to shop rather than try and piece soemthing together from my wardrobe.

tethersend Wed 10-Aug-11 15:42:31

So no to the red suit too?

If I were you, I'd head to debenhams for the last of the sale. They have some really good suit stuff there.

I really do think you need a suit, TBH...

sweetheart Wed 10-Aug-11 15:44:59

I have this blazer would it be ok with navy blue trousers?

sweetheart Wed 10-Aug-11 15:46:46

ummmm not really - sorry!
red isn't really my colour and linen creases badly so I'm worried I'd look rubbish by the end of a day at work.

higgle Wed 10-Aug-11 15:48:28

Can't you take something suitable and change into it?

tethersend Wed 10-Aug-11 15:49:01

The blazer would look lovely with navy trousers, but no way would it be smart enough for an interview... could you get a jacket/skirt/trousers to match a jacket/skirt/trousers that you've already got?

sweetheart Wed 10-Aug-11 15:54:06

I actually do own a blouse - I have this in green and cream Perhaps I could wear the cream with the pencil skirt.

I actually have one a bit like this too which I normally wear to work with navy trousers and a grey cardigan - would that work? Or is a cardigan a no no in an interview?

I'm just worried about a jacket - are they an absolute necessity? If it's warm like this and I'm nervous I will be sweating bucket loads!

tethersend Wed 10-Aug-11 17:03:13

That first blouse is perfect in either colour, although yes, cream better with navy.

I really would wear a jacket; how about this?

sweetheart Tue 16-Aug-11 14:21:10

OK - next problem solver please.........

I went for the interview and have got a 2nd interview. As recommended I went and brought a suit and wore it to the 1st interview. It was very imformal (small company) where I was intervewed on a sofa. The other office woman (that I could see) was wearing smart clothes but not suited and booted smart - just general office wear. The guys that interviewed me were wearing shirts and jackets but no ties.

So, the 2nd interview is to spend a couple of hours in their office, seeing if they like me and I like them.

now I only brought 1 suit - should I wear the same suit again OR dress down for this interview? IE smart office wear but not a suit?

I have 3 blazers i could wear but I can't really see me sitting with it on for a couple of hours.

What does everyone think?

notyummy Tue 16-Aug-11 14:25:27

What about a dress and a jacket? Obviously not anything too short/cleavagey! It sounds like it will more informal, and you have already shown them that you can do 'formal', so it sounds like this is a chance to wear something slightly more relaxed. You could always take the jacket off if everyone else is.

sweetheart Tue 16-Aug-11 14:30:52

Hmmm I could do that - I'm not sure my jackets go with any possible work dresses I have but will go home and check. Is a black dress with a black jacket ok? bit bland and boring and black is not a colour I should wear! It doesn't suit me at all!

MrsSnow Tue 16-Aug-11 14:37:58

I think you can get away wearing the same interview suit to the second interview. Change the blouse/shirt and it will change the look slightly.

Dress and jacket also sounds good too.

I don't think you should look more casual (matching their work look) at the second interview.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now