Talk

Advanced search

Autumn/winter shoes - practical, authoritative ...

(26 Posts)
blackcoffee Mon 08-Aug-11 16:28:40

I'm starting a teacher training course in September and I need to smarten up - my current footwear is either biker boots or ballet flats. I can't wear any kind of precarious heel because I have tendon problems, but I'm not ready for a footglove! what I'm looking for is something to give me a bit of height, wedge possibly, but not too high, and something I can wear all day and be active in. I like the look of fly london, any views on these, or recommendations on others? I'm always on a budget but I'd rather get something that will be fab and last! I love a bargain ...
I'm thinking predominantly black to match my teacher clothes but a hint of colour would be aok smile

Hellishday Mon 08-Aug-11 16:34:13

What about a brogue type shoe...very in for autumn and you can get them with a heel.

I have Dr Martin cone heels or various pairs of Clarks wedges for days when I want heels, or some heeled boots for Autumn/Winter. Otherwise, I just wear ballet flats - I think being short can sometimes be an advantage when teaching secondary tbh! smile

blackcoffee Mon 08-Aug-11 16:39:26

yeah I can do brogue, good idea
they are the lace up ones, right? I get mixed up with brogues and loafers

blackcoffee Mon 08-Aug-11 16:40:19

I'm primary and I'm quite tall already, I'm just petrified grin

kellestar Mon 08-Aug-11 16:56:56

I bought a pair of small kitten heeled shoes that were hush puppies, low, sturdy and black leather. I also can't do heels, i just can't walk in them.

Blowfish or Rocketdog do nice flats, leather or patent.

Raw shoe have some nice shoes in at the moment, saw a pair of DM wedges that weren't too high but looked long life. I hate buying shoes that fall apart. My first docs survived for 15 years before a really wet stalk through town disolved them.

blackcoffee Mon 08-Aug-11 17:00:16

same here kellestar I like shoes that feel great and last! dms do the job. Will check out those sites. Red or dead at schuh also looking possible. I forgot that brogues can give you a right cankle, will need to try some on.

henrythecat Mon 08-Aug-11 17:22:10

I'm secondary and every year I start off with good intentions and get some heels for september. They're ok to start with but by half term, I'm back in my ballet pumps. Teaching can be physically quite tiring (especially in a practical subject - I don't know what you're doing OP?) and I've found that even just wearing flats instead of heels makes a big difference to how tired I feel at the end of the day. Most female teachers at my school wear flats most of the time.

Agree with Remus I don't think height is particularly an advantage for secondary teaching so if you're worried about it, I wouldn't be.

This year I'm investing in a more interesting range of flat footwear, thinking of purchasing these soft leather flat brogues from Topshop

Poodlehorse Mon 08-Aug-11 21:41:35

Fly London are great, you can become addicted though

SickOnMyShoulder Mon 08-Aug-11 22:03:19

Got some great non-old lady shoes in M&S recently, perfectly for my slightly wide, but not EE fitting feet. I would think these shoe boots would do the job I can stand up in them all day without sore feet. I also got these in pink and purple for wearing with boring trousers, very comfy, and you can't go wrong at £15 a pop on a teacher's salary smile

onelily Tue 09-Aug-11 12:49:31

i like the M&S ones. needed black ones for a very long time. can u tell me SickOnMyShoulder how much u got that for?
Well i have these ones really comfy nd a keeper for sure

I like the Oasis ones.

onelily Tue 09-Aug-11 13:47:07

Thanks! smile

Gillybobs Tue 09-Aug-11 16:51:00

Ive ordered these am very excited...

blackcoffee Tue 09-Aug-11 17:34:35

gillybobs they are the ONES!
some great ideas on this thread. Henry I am sure I will be back in my ballet flats by october at the latest, but I'm enjoying the illusion while it lasts!

pointydog Tue 09-Aug-11 17:48:03

Snap, shoulder! I got those shoe boots in grey just last week. Very comfy, wide fit.

pointydog Tue 09-Aug-11 17:50:07

I also got these. Not so sure how much I really like them but they were also very comfy. Veering towards the v practical.

HellonHeels Tue 09-Aug-11 18:59:34

I like these ones:

http://www.office.co.uk/womens/office/bushy_brush/33/2705/28122/1?fs=2705

Heel might be a bit high though.

HellonHeels Tue 09-Aug-11 19:00:19

www.office.co.uk/womens/office/bushy_brush/33/2705/28122/1?fs=2705

Whoops sorry!

blackcoffee Tue 09-Aug-11 19:46:40

from browsing online I'm quite surprised and impressed with m&s shoes even (whispers) some of the 'contemporary' footgloves, there's a pair of heeled laceups that look smart and are supposed to be v comfortable
haven't bought adult clarks for a while, went off their children's shoes because the quality seemed to be lacking recently, are the adult shoes well made? the styles are fine
love love the office heels too

FrancesFarmer Tue 09-Aug-11 20:39:10

I think these Toast shoes are a good take on the brogue trend. They're smart and feminine. Ridiculously priced though, as is usual with Toast!

blackcoffee Tue 09-Aug-11 22:08:37

yes, they are lovely but way out of my price bracket
not sure what to wear brogues with? socks/trousers? tights? am too old for 'ironic' miss marple chic but not quite ready to embrace the country spinster look in earnest

I think brogues are v difficult to wear unless you are a beautiful young thing doing granny chic tbh.

Re Clarks - I think the quality of their heeled ones is better than the quality of their ballet flats...Thinks...actually it might be because I wear the ballet flats to death and only wear the heels every now and then!

M&S ones are all too wide for me; ditto Fly. I've just bought a pair of Gabor sandals after a rec on here and will deffo look out for them again. Some of them are too grannyish but some are quite nice. Too expensive unless in the sale though.

EuphemiaMcGonagall Tue 09-Aug-11 22:21:30

If it's Primary, don't buy shoes with bits on that the kids will be tempted to fiddle with. hmm

pointydog Wed 10-Aug-11 09:34:43

brogues are ugly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now