Talk

Advanced search

Embarrassing purchase that you daren't admit to anyone

(31 Posts)
embarrasedtoadmit Mon 08-Aug-11 14:38:04

So - have name changed for this - has anyone bought anything recently in a bizarre rush of blood to the head and then thought - "oh my giddy aunt - what on earth was i thinking"

Getting into the spirit of a fancy dress party - i went and bought a dress made of rubber. blush. Yes - rubber, oh my god i have said it. What on earth was I thinking. So has anyone else bought anything as utterly utterly impractical, useless, dodgy or downright daft lately. And yes I look like a sausage. Looking for some sisterly support here, and no - i don't think i will attach the link from the shop - cos they all have amazing figures.

talkingnonsense Mon 08-Aug-11 14:45:15

I bought some size 10 trOusers. I am a size 14. I love them ant they were the only pair left, but I cannot wear them! Am embarassed at self!

FoundWanting Mon 08-Aug-11 14:49:10

A leather dress. blush

I have put in on a few times and it looks pretty good. DH follows me round sniffing and saying, "Mmmm, new car." hmm I know I will never wear it in public though, because it is a leather dress.

embarrasedtoadmit Mon 08-Aug-11 14:52:53

Found grin.

I know exactly what you mean. what was your excuse rationale when buying it?

DH watched me try it on and got the giggles as i squeezed myself in and then just said "sausage". git. At least you smell nice....

voiceofnoreason Mon 08-Aug-11 15:14:22

Oh lawks - the list is so long..... mostly unwearable shoes :-( way too high, too tight but generally lovely! DH now just rolls eyes... snort at new car....

FoundWanting Mon 08-Aug-11 15:29:27

My excuse is that it was very late one night and I had been mindlessly trawling page after page of dresses on asos. Said leather dress was ridiculously reduced, and I had a 20% off code.

Very like this one.

embarrasedtoadmit Mon 08-Aug-11 15:40:58

oooh i actually like that - the frock i just bought is a lot like this...it was in the sale. dodgy. DH has threatened me with a can of pledge and a duster as well. I'm not sure i can bring myself to wear this in the house let alone out.

FoundWanting Mon 08-Aug-11 15:55:33

Well, it is certainly...shiny.... grin

What is the fancy dress theme?

embarrasedtoadmit Mon 08-Aug-11 16:01:53

There isn't one - I just got desperate! Very very shiny.

embarrasedtoadmit Mon 08-Aug-11 16:04:52

i have got serious regrets over it - but maybe i should think sod it and wear it :-)

TattyDevine Mon 08-Aug-11 16:30:51

I bought this a couple of weeks ago

I love it. I know, I know, its Juicy, a chav brand, and therefore is overpriced, but I love the colour and its a fecking dressing gown so who cares if its chavvy grin

embarrasedtoadmit Mon 08-Aug-11 16:51:22

Perhaps we need to rehabilitate our embarrassing items and be proud ;-)

TattyDevine Mon 08-Aug-11 16:56:11

Yeah I'll do the school run in it... grin

embarrasedtoadmit Mon 08-Aug-11 16:57:58

i will if you will.....

miniwedge Mon 08-Aug-11 16:58:49

I only saw the thread title in active convos and not the board name so I nearly came on here and said my most embarassing purchase was a phil collins greatest hits CD a couple of weeks ago.

Lucky I realised it's a clothes thread just in time.

embarrasedtoadmit Mon 08-Aug-11 17:11:20

You are welcome to the confessional

vanillamum Mon 08-Aug-11 20:00:40

I bought a pair of bright pink crocs for adults but with the holes in Mickey mouse head silhouettes and Disney emblazened boldly on the heel. Its fine I told myself they are supercheap as no sane adult would wear them (my 7 year old dd very admiring) I will only wear them in the house like slippers and noone will see. Except three weeks later they are so comfy I started to just nip to the shops in them, then it was I will wear them to work and change when I get there...I was taken aside today by one of our service users and it was suggested I was not dressed "ahem" appropriately. Seeing as most of the service users are still under mental health sections I feel myself suitably told off!

TattyDevine Mon 08-Aug-11 20:06:09

Vanilla

I heart you a bit now grin

MissBeehiving Tue 09-Aug-11 14:07:56

I was clearing out my wardrobes the other day and found a Per Una coat hanger shock

<hangs head in shame>

BulletWithAName Tue 09-Aug-11 15:20:56

I just bought a pink glitter Paul's Boutique Maisy bag. I should be ashamed, according to S&B jury, but I'm not, I bloody well love it, I shall hang it off my arm with pride grin

neuroticmumof3 Tue 09-Aug-11 18:38:57

lol @ vanilla

clucky80 Tue 09-Aug-11 19:08:59

I bought a lepoard print handbag with pink furry lining that also encased the handle and brought it out with pride! My goodness what was I thinking?! I thought because it was so chavvy I was actually being ironic or something completely ridiculous as actually I just looked like a wally!

Purplebuns Tue 09-Aug-11 19:17:45

Tatty I actually really like that!

I can't think of anything... Except I swore I would never have anything resembling an Ugg boot... I have New Zealand sheep skin boots that crept up on me much like Vanillas crocs!

stitchthis Tue 09-Aug-11 19:17:52

An old lady's hairy coat from the charidee shop. I thought I was being arty. A latter day audrey Hepburn. The shame.

ManicPanic Tue 09-Aug-11 20:05:40

Pink. Furry. 'Playboy' handbag.

<smacks self around face>
<strokes pink fluffy handbag when no-one is looking>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now