Talk

Advanced search

Help please with a wedding outfit

(10 Posts)
BlueBumedFly Mon 08-Aug-11 12:09:31

I am really hoping someone can help me please.

I am going to a wedding in Germany at the end of the month and I do not want to wear a dress and uncomfortable heals. I will have 3 kids with me and they have 2 wedding ceremonies in one day, will be driving between the two venues, pictures in the park, lunch at one house and then a lengthy meal with disco in the evening. On top of that might have to walk the smallest child back to the hotel at the end of the night. All in all I can say I am not particularly looking forward to it but my husband is the best man.

To set the scene, the German family are described as quite 'Hippyish' and the Groom is wearing very Matt Smith-Dr Who outfit complete with bow tie. As is DH who will be in blazer/jacket, trousers, waistcoat, bowtie and boots approach, all in all not traditional at all.

I would love to wear trousers and even perhaps my ever-so-comforable high healed boots which would mean wearing skinny trousers. I am thinking a tux type approach but do not know where to start. Added to my issues I am overweight at the moment and quite short so Maxi is out as I look like a mountain, 5ft 3 and a large size 14 does not suit a maxi, I have tried many times before.

So, please where do I start? I really like the boho approach too, and it sounds like it might just fit?

Please can anyone help me?

Many thanks in advance,
BBF

titchy Mon 08-Aug-11 12:39:47

White Stuff have some nice dresses you could wear with flats. Quite hippyish too. Oh and the sale is on and they do on-line!

chocolateteabag Tue 09-Aug-11 12:01:11

I think you are on the money with skinny trousers in Black or dark navy
I would then wear a plain white vest (M&S T-shirt bra underneath) with a pale silver coloured long cardigan or jacket
Then accessorise with a scarf or long coloured/sparkly necklace.

Then - high heels for the service and posh bits, sparkly flats for the dancing and trainers/pumps for the driving/nightime walking.

Then pack a spare white vest/top in case one of the 3 DC's "splat" you.

Pack all spare stuff that you will need into a wheely suitcase so that you can take it with you fairly neatly (ie can just stick under table etc)

Suggest you try Boden/Gap for the trousers - get ankle length or a bit longer if you wear boots
Mint Velvet usually have long tunicy tops/jackets, or try Jigsaw? Jigsaw& MV often have sparkly pashmina things which can glam up a really simple outfit.

Hope you have fun!

onelily Tue 09-Aug-11 13:07:19

How about these ones and try these shoes
Also, have a look at this totally love polka, guess will buy one

BlueBumedFly Thu 11-Aug-11 23:04:30

Oooo I really like the whole agreeing with my skinny trouser plan but had not thought of a scarf - excellent thank you. Also loving the Kaftan look and it would suit my colouring no end.

Right, I am all enthused again now... thank you ladies x

onelily Fri 12-Aug-11 07:16:17

Glad, you liked the kaftaan, i myself loved it. bought it for my mom-in law's birthday party. Though can't decide on wht earrings to match- hoops or studs?

OiMissus Fri 12-Aug-11 07:26:29

Boho/skinny trousers - I'd check out the AllSaints sale, all very boho, but with some interesting floaty/baggy/flared pieces (dresses or tops) that would sit well on a size 14. (I'm a size 12, 5'2" - loved Allsaints before I got preggers, now 6 months in and finding that their sales stuff is far more interesting over maternity jeans than the boring samey stuff in the maternity wear sections). Just an idea. Good luck!

onelily Fri 12-Aug-11 07:38:42

are you referring to some sort of voucher?

OiMissus Fri 12-Aug-11 07:56:01

onelily was that a ? to me - if so, now, Allsaints are advertising up to 70% off selected items online and instore. www.allsaints.com

onelily Fri 12-Aug-11 08:02:14

Wow, sounds cool! had seen a really nice pair of wedges there, hope i can buy now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now