Talk

Advanced search

A REALLY good scarf

(25 Posts)
blueskydrinking Sun 07-Aug-11 21:40:42

Hi everyone. This is my first post in here but I've been lurking for a while and I love this board!

I own a coat which I bought a couple of years ago and which I love - it's a grey, wool, Whistles military style - but which I've never worn as much as I'd like because it makes me look a bit severe.

So my plan this year is to get a cosy, softening, kick-ass scarf to go with it. I'm a bit of a scarf addict anyway but I'm having trouble finding what I want.

Could anybody help me with any suggestions?

JennyPiccolo Sun 07-Aug-11 22:35:45

a sort of raspberry colour? Would be lovely with grey.

blueskydrinking Mon 08-Aug-11 08:15:05

That's a good idea, I agree with you about the colour, jenny. I had a whistles scarf about 10 years ago,it was black but it was gorgeous (chunky and long and a really good black, if you know what I mean!) and I haven't been able to find one I like as much since.

Catsmamma Mon 08-Aug-11 08:19:56

you could knit one!

madammecholet Mon 08-Aug-11 08:29:37

Do mean knitted or silk? If knitted go here berylware or if not try vintage shops, I've just been given a gorgeous italian silk scarf from a vintage shop in Bath, tis gorgeous.

onelily Mon 08-Aug-11 10:13:59

Dnt know whether it will work with ur coat but u could Try this

winefairy Mon 08-Aug-11 11:27:08

I love Lily and Lionel. They are so soft and look stunning.

blueskydrinking Mon 08-Aug-11 11:54:00

catsmamma - I'd love to be able to do that sort of thing but it doesn't come naturally and I never get the time to persevere!! Maybe next year..... smile

I love the links - thanks. The scarf I really want now is from Lily and Lionel - this one http://www.lilyandlionel.com/item.php?id=567&stylenumber=SC2170 . Not sure whether to thank you though winefairy because at £199 I could buy a whole new coat.... but I want it I want it I want it blush smile Just about to go back and browse through the rest of their site, great link, thanks.

blueskydrinking Mon 08-Aug-11 11:54:28

sorry, haven't worked out how to link properly on here yet.

winefairy Mon 08-Aug-11 12:09:44

Good choice, bluesky. It's lovely!

They are gorgeous, gorgeous scarves. And quite addictive. I have 4 now and love them all. Was never even much of a scarf person before!

blueskydrinking Mon 08-Aug-11 12:24:00

How do you wear them, winefairy? They look quite delicate, are the silk/wool ones 'weighty' enough for winter?

winefairy Mon 08-Aug-11 12:33:20

They are very wide so although they are more delicate than others they don't look too light for winter as the width gives them warmth when it bunches together. Terrible description, sorry!

I wear mine looped or loose, like this. Apologies, that link contains Cheryl Cole but it was the only one I could find!

blueskydrinking Mon 08-Aug-11 12:35:15

grin

Oh dear, I think you may have started something, I love this one too:

www.lilyandlionel.com/item.php?id=803&stylenumber=SC1047

blueskydrinking Mon 08-Aug-11 12:38:06

Actually I love them all. Thanks winefairy. Just need to choose ONE now!

winefairy Mon 08-Aug-11 12:43:45

Congrats on the link!

I am torn between this one and this slightly different one at the moment!

I wasn't that convinced by leopard before....but I just know Lily and Lionel leopard will be gorgeous. Sigh.

winefairy Mon 08-Aug-11 12:46:00

Be warned....it will be your first of many! Let me know which one you finally decide on. Glad I could help, bluesky.

blueskydrinking Mon 08-Aug-11 12:49:38

hehe thanks smile

Yep they're both gorgeous too. I was just thinking the same, I don't own a single animal print item but those scarves look really cool and I'm not sure I can resist.

I'll let you know which one (Must. Only. Buy. One.) I choose!

Breatheout Mon 08-Aug-11 14:48:26

Wine fairy.... I've been looking for an oversized scarf for ages and I'm always disappointed with the size. Now you've got me excited with these
Lionel scarves. Are L and L scarves large enough to be all bunchy and layered? Love the look of them!

winefairy Mon 08-Aug-11 15:16:12

Breatheout the scarves are large especially the oversized ones which are just stunning. Even most of the standard sized ones are 70cm wide (which is wider than usual) by 200cm. They are works of art!

polyhymnia Mon 08-Aug-11 17:58:54

Another L and L fan here - got to know of them on MN last winter and bought two -one of which is the blue leopard.

Have had lots of use from them - they are gorgeous. I usually wear them looped and they are somehow bulky enough without being too bulky. Highly recommended. Am trying not to be tempted to add a third to the collection!

polyhymnia Mon 08-Aug-11 18:02:07

Hmm, that snake satchel bag on their site is nice too!

TracyK Mon 08-Aug-11 18:13:10

Why don't they give photos of models wearing the scarves? I could be tempted if I could see them 'in use' - but they don't do anything for me as they are at the mo.

winefairy Mon 08-Aug-11 20:07:31

<waves at polyhymnia>

<laughs at polyhymia checking out the bag too>

PlumSykes Mon 08-Aug-11 21:20:53

Zara have some fab, really huge, scarves at the moment, though annoyingly not many online. I have spotted a navy one with large butterflies on it that I especially covet, for about £25.

blueskydrinking Mon 08-Aug-11 21:31:50

TracyK, I agree - it would be so much better if you could see them being worn.

I've not been into Zara for a while - I had a red scarf from there a while ago. And some good jeans actually. But then I bought a few things which fell apart and haven't really been back since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now