Talk

Advanced search

Who to have a make up consultation with?

(19 Posts)
waitingtobeamummy Sun 07-Aug-11 18:14:54

I need new make up so was thinking of having a consultation and then buying some stuff. Do the body shop do them? Or maybe clinique kind of thing?
Any reccomendations?

Hellishday Sun 07-Aug-11 18:20:41

Bobbi brown are good...I am planning a visit there.

wonkylegs Sun 07-Aug-11 18:35:31

Bobbi brown are great .... I've been an addict since. Subtle and flattering not easy when I'm very very fair with freckles, blue eyes and blonde hair

Havingkittens Sun 07-Aug-11 18:55:19

MAC, Bobbi Brown or Space NK are your best bet.

Body Shop won't be as good as they are not usually make up artists.

moonstorm Sun 07-Aug-11 18:55:20

I would visit a few. Ask for samples all the way and maybe even take photos of yourself after each one (blush). That way you get a variety of suggestions and you can take from each one what you like.

I'm a fan of Bobbi Brown, too...

wonkylegs Sun 07-Aug-11 19:04:05

Clinique skin stuff was ok but wasn't impressed with the make up

Northumberlandlass Sun 07-Aug-11 19:17:47

I had a MAC one done last weekend. I was looking for new foundation, rather than new ideas. It was v good though, the make over was £25 and redeemable on products.

I had been concerned about being over-made up, but the lady I saw was quite relieved to do an ordinary day look.

I got loads of tips etc. Well worth it.

NL

fiorentina Sun 07-Aug-11 19:53:58

I'd second Bobbi Brown, they are a bit more natural and not too pushy when I went.

Optimism Sun 07-Aug-11 19:54:19

Another vote for Bobbi Brown - they're really good at what they do and have always been really friendly. Lovely products too. The only down side is that, although I never feel obliged to purchase, I always end up wanting to buy everything they use! Clearly their tactics work...

YouDoTheMath Sun 07-Aug-11 19:54:35

Definitely MAC. Their products are great, and as mentioned above, the fee for consultation is redeemable.

willybreeder Sun 07-Aug-11 20:52:16

Or you could find a freelance make-up artist and pay for a lesson, she should be able to recommend lots of different brands and write you a list once the lesson is done

Havingkittens Sun 07-Aug-11 23:34:26

You would get a much more in depth lesson with a make up artist, but it would cost you considerably more than it does at a make up counter. When you get your make up done at a counter they do your make up in front of a mirror and talk you through it and usually give you a diagram replicating your make up for you to try and do yourself at home. In a personal lesson with a make up artist we normally do each step on one side of the face and then guide you as you copy what we have done on the other side so you do get to understand more how to do it yourself properly. Also you generally get 3 times as long with a private lesson. You get an hour on the counter.

skyebluepink Sun 07-Aug-11 23:44:56

And freelance makeup artists are impartial and will be able to recommend across brands as well as use what you may already have.

wildfig Mon 08-Aug-11 10:56:04

Bobbi Brown again, especially for basic 'polishing', and Mac if you want some more dramatic ideas.

I generally have a look at the women behind the counter, and decide if I want to look like them or not...

waitingtobeamummy Mon 08-Aug-11 16:30:10

Thanks everyone- hadn't thought of Bobbi brown. Looking at clinique and benefit at the moment. Have got my liquid foundation sorted but its eye shadow colours etc that need.

Havingkittens Mon 08-Aug-11 22:21:26

The staff on Clinique & Benefit counters are mostly just sales people rather than make up artists. You will get the odd one but I'd recommend you ask around to find out.

LadyLapsang Mon 08-Aug-11 23:30:10

Chanel at Harvey Nicks or Space NK

polyhymnia Tue 09-Aug-11 12:20:58

Bobbi Brown, and particularly recommend Space NK who aren't tied to one brand.

futuramamma Fri 12-Aug-11 19:51:31

Bobby Brown make up lessons are great, they have 3 or 4 different type based on your requirement. Few months ago I did the 10 steps make up lesson and it was great, the make up artist really listened to what I wanted, and suggested a palette of colours to enhance my complexion. The products are a bit pricey but they last for a very very long time and in the long run you actually end up saving money. I bought the foundation, blush, primer, a foundation brush in January and I spent around £100, but I still have plenty..ok I have not been wearing make up for the past 6 weeks (guess what, my babay is 6 weeks old :-)) but still if I compare them to some less expensive make up the quality is much much better, and it last longer. So definetely good value for money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now