Talk

Advanced search

Leggings, floaty dress + converse??

(13 Posts)
Soups Sat 06-Aug-11 20:33:55

Really, would it be terrible? Would they look like giant clown feet? The converse are purple, which does't help matters.

I'm trying to pack for my hols and it's all going wrong. The second 2 weeks are fine as we'll be poolside and pottering, I have pretty, dainty sandles. The first week we'll be sight seeing, several long drives, sight seeing. So I need shoes that will stay on my feet, suitable for walking all day, can be worn with trainer socks. My Converse are perfect but hadn't thought about what I'd be wearing.

I have something similar to www.clarks.co.uk/find/department-is-women/mcrproductsubtype-is-pumps/product-is-20343245 but plain black, but they stink on a hot day, and socks show.

magicmelons Sat 06-Aug-11 23:11:53

Yes, it think it would be terrible.

nickschick Sat 06-Aug-11 23:15:52

its not done .....sorry.

Soups Sat 06-Aug-11 23:25:15

sigh I know you're both right. Not even in Germany?? wink

Himalaya Sat 06-Aug-11 23:37:27

I think it's fine. You will look a little alternative, but only mildly, not in a bad way. Presumably you are not a politician whose picture will be in the papers next week?

I wear black lo-top converse, leggings, short flowery dress as my staple mooching around wardrobe at the momment and no one has pointed and laughed.

FrancesFarmer Sat 06-Aug-11 23:41:31

You might get away with it. You won't look as stylish as you would wearing your dainty sandals but I think the style sacrifice is worth it for the gain in comfort and practicality in this case.

cakeoholic Sat 06-Aug-11 23:47:04

I think they'd look better with shorts or 3/4 length jeans or trousers but you're on holiday where no one knows you so do whatever you like!

cyb Sat 06-Aug-11 23:47:19

cant you wear different bottoms? Like thin rolled up chino's or something? with a tee shirty top?

tigana Sat 06-Aug-11 23:50:19

converse fine. pretend you are being retro. think late 80s...early 90's.

better than limping about with uber-blisters from half way through day 1.

tethersend Sat 06-Aug-11 23:53:42

Fine if you ditch the leggings.

It's Germany, don't worry too much grin

Soups Sun 07-Aug-11 00:03:00

Maybe black would be better, an excuse to go shopping? The purple is quite bright, rather than subtle smokey purple. Goes well with jeans! I live in a town with lots of students and wouldn't bat an eye to such a combo, I'm now in my 40's and feel as if I should be more sensible.

Maybe
http://www.schuh.co.uk/womens-black-vans-authentic/1973117070
would make me feel less self conscious as they don't have the white bit.

It's hard to tell what the weather is going to be like for the first week, so far it hasn't been too different from here. It could be torrential rain, or basking hot. I'm hoping to get away with lots of light weight combos. Dresses + leggings (if needed), hareem (not nappy ones) + vest tops. With some light weight cardies.

cakeoholic Sun 07-Aug-11 00:05:50

How about a pair of supergas?

Soups Sun 07-Aug-11 17:01:08

I like the supergas smile

OK that's it, I'll get plain black Keds / Vans / Supergas. We'll be in areas where there's tons of hikers and cyclists, so I would probably look odder in a pair of heels. Saving my sparkly shoes for Italy.

I've tried on loads of different chinos but they all make me look like a middle aged American tourist grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now