Talk

Advanced search

I don't know what shape I am...

(6 Posts)
CareyHunt Sat 06-Aug-11 18:59:25

...or what suits me any more.

Pre-children I was fairly skinny and flat chested. It was fairly easy to find things to wear.

3 children later I am more than a stone heavier (9 stone 4). I'm 5'4. I'm a 34b and most of the weight has gone on my arse and thighs. I think I'm 'a pear' because of my fat arse, but I also have broad shoulders. I'm not narrow waisted or curvy enough to be 'an hourglass' (sadly)....what the hell am I supposed to wear?

I really want to buy a nice day dress. I am doing the 30 day shred and a bit of a low-carb thing and I want to reward myself at the end, but realistically, I'm not going to be massively different size-wise.

What would suit me? My legs are really short, and my arms look massive in cap sleeves. Top half wise, thinner straps, vest type tops seem to be best. My shoulders and collar bones are probably my best bits.

I just want to not look like a navvy in a frock.HELP!

wileycoyote Sun 07-Aug-11 01:10:11

Hi CareyHunt. Um, 9 stone 4 at your height sounds quite respectable to me. It sounds like you are somewhat unhappy with yourself but you sound fine. How about a dress from Zara, or Wallis? Wear with heels to extend the leg. That will show off your curves and make you feel more feminine and confident.

talkingnonsense Sun 07-Aug-11 17:58:33

Yes I am 5'4 and 101/2 stone so show your best bits off! Try an m and s support vest if you feel untoned round the middle.

SevenAgainstThebes Sun 07-Aug-11 18:34:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Teachermumof3 Sun 07-Aug-11 18:39:47

I'm a similar shape, but DD instead. I find most of my weight is on my backside/waist (I always feel I look like a barrel!) and my upper arms, whereas I have good legs and slim lower arms!

I tend to go for cropped jeans/trousers/leggings and long tunic tops/dresses or wrap dresses. Scarves/jewellery are good to detract from podgy bits and v-necked tops are quite flattering, too.

I feel your pain!

CareyHunt Sun 07-Aug-11 18:52:05

Thanks everyone!

I think 'athletic' sounds about right. ( I quite like the sound of it!) I'm sort of 'hefty' rather than 'fat' iykwim. I do know I'm not enormous, I think it's just hard getting your head around a new body shape and relearning what suits you.

I've had about 13 years away from the whole 'going out' scene, so when something does come up I'm a bit lost. Last time round it was Topshop all the way but I def. feel a bit old for it now.

Seven, I LOVE those dresses, especially the first one. They are exactly right...grown up but not middle aged. ( I have a terror of looking like I dress too young!) I would never have had the confidence to choose something like that, but I think, with wedges, it could be the one. I have v. short sort of pixie crop hair so I like to imagine I'd be channelling a bit of a Parisian 1950's Jean Seberg vibe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now