Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy plainish girls clothes for dd?

(29 Posts)
schroeder Sat 06-Aug-11 18:37:09

DD is 9, she knows what she likes and doesn't like and would choose to wear boys clothes nearly the whole time if I let her.

Where can I buy her plainish shorts, trousers and t shirts?

She will not wear leggings and doesn't like pink.

I've looked at boden and they have some of the sort of stuff I need, but are a bit over budget.

Any ideas?

miche8 Sat 06-Aug-11 18:44:28

there are always lots of boden codes floating about and it will re-sale on ebay when shes outgrown - does that make it more affordable?

How about searching ebay?

my 3 pretty much only wear boden and john lewis now, the last few bits from next and h&m haven't washed well, and theres nothing in this latest next directory i like for them.

Mumelie Sat 06-Aug-11 18:45:39

H&M have a lot of plain jersey items that may work.

apple99 Sat 06-Aug-11 18:47:16

H&M always have god basics in a range of colours, dd wears a lot of navy, grey etc and I get most of her top's, shorts and jeans from there. You just have to turn a blind eye to all the Hello Kitty t's and dresses!!

schroeder Sat 06-Aug-11 18:49:08

I might try John Lewis thanks.

Tried ebay without much luck.

Next used to be good for their 3pack tops, now though they are all horrible.

I think it might be her age because some of the younger stuff seems ok.

exexpat Sat 06-Aug-11 18:54:43

Um, why not just get things from the boys' sections if that is what she prefers?

DD is 8, resolutely ungirly (apart from the long blonde curly hair) and usually walks past all the sparkly pink stuff to the t-shirts, hoodies and baggier trousers in the boys' sections. Specially now that boys' stuff comes in colours other than khaki and navy - she has a plain turquoise hoodie from H&M and a purple one from somewhere else, while all the ones for girls seemed to have daft slogans or sparkles on them, or be really skimpily cut. We do get some plain girls' tops from supermarkets and Next sometimes.

exexpat Sat 06-Aug-11 18:56:14

Should probably add that although DD is 8, she is the size of a 12-year-old, so the girl options are all from the more teenage range and they are really not appropriate for a tree-climbing 8-year-old. Teenage boy clothes are much better.

defineme Sat 06-Aug-11 19:05:01

boden factory sales are where I get boden-at around next prices. I go to ones at Newark showground about once or twice a year, but I presume they have them elsewhere?This summer DD is wearing 3/4 cotton joggers and navy cotton 3/4 trousers both £7 from there,

I think if you look in catalogues and so on you will find stuff.

DD is currently in some khaki joggers from Next and a navy tshirt from asda-both girls section..
She wears boys denim shorts (usually her brother's old ones) and she likes unisex classic shape tshirts that you can packs of from tesco and so on.
She has some loose fitting cotton shorts from primark in blue-we took the pastel scarf belt off. DD does like the kind of harem pant/short things that are about-would your dd wear those?
I like la redoute stuff too-the mini prices are good and the boys stuff is nice too.

schroeder Sat 06-Aug-11 19:08:57

I thought someone would say why not just get boys stuff? smile

Thing is the pil and to a lesser extent dh would look askance if I let her do that, and even dd doesn't want to dress in the same clothes as her brother.

She has some plain boys t shirts and hoodies. She would like to have some t shirts (and that's the main problem item) that aren't pink, beige, sparkly or really long.

twoboots Sat 06-Aug-11 19:34:58

try la redoute? they have a sale on and they will do a slighlty more "femine" cut
like this
or this

pointydog Sat 06-Aug-11 19:41:15

H&M

Tillyscoutsmum Sat 06-Aug-11 19:43:56

Its worth looking in supermarkets. Sainsburys/Asda and Tesco often have multi packs of plain coloured t-shirts.

DirtyMartini Sat 06-Aug-11 19:49:22

Rainbowbabies go up to age 8-10 and the quality and colours are lovely. Not the cheapest but really durable and nice and SIMPLE.

lostlady Sat 06-Aug-11 19:51:00

Zara usually has some plainer stuff too

DirtyMartini Sat 06-Aug-11 19:51:09

The category that says "Girls t-shirts" looks a bit tight and uncomfy though hmm - but I was thinking of their unisex t-shirts which are not like that at all, and come in a good range of colours:

https://www.rainbowbabies.co.uk/babyclothes/t-shirts-short-sleeved.html

Parietal Sat 06-Aug-11 19:54:27

I get plain things for younger dd from jojomamabebe and verbaudet but I'm not sure if the sizes are big enough for your needs.

SocialButterfly Sat 06-Aug-11 19:54:52

My DD is very ungirly and I got her loads of stuff from Vertbaudet ( which I think may be the same as La Redoubt which someone else mentioned) as well as not liking girls clothes she is very in to comfort and only likes elastic waistbands - I found Verbaudet had a good selection and she lives in their jeans grin

Popbiscuit Sat 06-Aug-11 19:54:57

Gap kids is great for plain basics (try their "favourites" range). I've found that they have come down in price recently and you don't need to buy a lot because plain things are easier to mix and match. My DD is 9 and often buys things from the boys dept. too. DD likes to do that layered t-shirt thing (short sleeve over long sleeve). Their tees wash REALLY well and last for ages too

Marne Sat 06-Aug-11 19:57:37

Dd1 is 7 and a tom boy, most of her clothes comes from H&M, fat face and Boden (but only boden and fatface sale items as its too pricey at other times), i get her a few bits off of e-bay also (some Next, Boden ect..).

ContinentalKat Mon 08-Aug-11 14:29:01

I second la redoute for my non-girly dd.
I also like h&m, gap and polarn o.pyret, although PO.P is quite pricey...
mexx and esprit sometimes have nice things, too.

ContinentalKat Mon 08-Aug-11 14:30:30

oh, forgot to say that la redoute have free delivery on sale items today! (just finished ordering grin)

sarahfreck Mon 08-Aug-11 14:37:41

Have you tried Lands End? www.landsend.co.uk/ They have plain coloured skorts and polo tops for girls, plus other stuff that is not pink or sparkly.

startail Mon 08-Aug-11 14:40:55

If your DD wears age 12 clothes size 6/8 adult may well fit. Supermarkets, H&M, Primark and M&S (DD1 usual haunt) do good plain tshirts and vest tops.

startail Mon 08-Aug-11 14:46:39

Oh have you any outdoor outlet type places, the sort that sell rucksacks and waterproofs. Ours sells really nice unisex or mildly feminine tshirts (purple and burgundy rather than in your face pink).
Smallest children's still pink/ blue, but camper-vans etc not sculls so the boys would probably be much better than a lot.

sweetheart Mon 08-Aug-11 16:21:49

I have exactly this problem with my dd who is 11. It is a nightmare - even t-shirts that are plain she won't wear if they aren't quite right.

She has a skater / surfer kind of style so we have found that brands like animal / billabong / roxy etc suit her really well. Although they aren't cheap luckily we have an outlet place near to us so often do a trip there to stock up on things for her (from both the girls and boys' lines). I have to say I'd rather spend a bit more on things I know she will wear day in day out. I've spent too long buying mainstream stuff for her for it to just sit in a drawer!

It took dh a while to come around to the idea of her wearing boys clothes but at first I didn't tell him if I'd brought something from a boy's section - it was just easier to keep the peace that way - sigh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now