Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Are you a winter or summer dresser?

(43 Posts)
madammecholet Sat 06-Aug-11 17:25:06

I am most defintely winter, yes sireee. I cannot stand all the flimsey material and flesh showing. I struggle. It takes me such a long time every morning, and sometimes I end up looking a right royal yummy mummy mess and a half. I long for Sept.

I am far far far far happier in jeans/long boots/jacket combo.

Am I alone?

timidviper Sat 06-Aug-11 17:27:00

No you're not. I hate the cheap, flimsy, revealing summer clothes but love the heavier quality fabrics and textures in the winter.

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 06-Aug-11 17:27:10

I'm with you, I much prefer winter. I look silly in flimsy, floaty things and don't have teh arms for short sleeves.

I am already looking forward to the temperature dropping so that I can wear jeans, boots and cardis grin

madammecholet Sat 06-Aug-11 17:29:10

I look like a tarty barmaid in summer floaty dresses - I hate it.

Alibabaandthe80nappies Sat 06-Aug-11 17:31:39

Oh me too. I loathe summer, there is nowhere safe to put your bra straps!

Boots, jeans, leggings and a lovely wool dress. Much better smile

moonstorm Sat 06-Aug-11 17:33:44

I like socks. In boots. And jeans. Definitely winter.

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoDuck Sat 06-Aug-11 17:36:20

Winter winter winter. No summer clothes look good on me. I look like a transvestite who fell over and got two bloody massive balloons stuck to his front.

Gillybobs Sat 06-Aug-11 17:39:41

God how I long for those Autumn magazines/catalogues so I can salivate over knitwear and silky blouses and leather boots and wool scarves and....*goes on and on and on......*

My body is NOT designed for summer or summer clothing (hides big boobs, scottish blue/white legs, dimply upper arms) : (

madammecholet Sat 06-Aug-11 17:41:59

Gilbonzo I AM SO WITH YOU on the the tranny thing. I think it may be a boob issue...they just somehow get in the way of style..hmm

madammecholet Sat 06-Aug-11 17:43:13

I actually saw my upper arms wobble in the wing mirror of the car this week as I was turning the wheel....

The shame. I am burning all my sleeveless tops.

said Sat 06-Aug-11 17:47:20

I look shit in the summer. Do not suit flesh exposing clothes or lighter colours at all. Love, love, love September/October when I know I can wear dark clothes and boots for the next 7/8 months.

lostlady Sat 06-Aug-11 17:56:27

I live in Scotland,so just wear the same things all year grin

DrGruntFotter Sat 06-Aug-11 18:00:18

Message withdrawn

TanyaBranning Sat 06-Aug-11 18:12:47

I prefer autumn/winter fashion. Boots and thick tights - delish! I love flip flops and sandals in summer but I struggle with summer fashion. If we had a guaranteed 3 or 4 months of hot weather I'd invest in some nice stuff, but because I know I wont get huge amounts of wear out of it I don't spend much and so don't love my summer clothes, really.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 06-Aug-11 18:46:03

I'm an Autumn dresser - love Autumn and love all the Autumn fashion pages because of the pages of black and grey with the occasional bit of burgundy! Some v v bad orange and 70s stuff this time around though.

I intend to wear grey...lots of grey...and maybe a lace skirt.

Millie1 Sat 06-Aug-11 19:00:04

Love winter clothes, loathe summer stuff. Need to lose my tummy fast though with October not far away - stopped b-feeding DTs in spring and weight now all in one place ... not a good look with knitted tunics etc!

CeliaFate Sat 06-Aug-11 19:01:42

Winter definitely! You know it's going to be cold so you layer up. In Summer what the hell do you wear without being cold/uncomfortable/looking like a knob.

minxofmancunia Sat 06-Aug-11 19:19:51

I love autumn winter fashion, I actually get my legs out MORE in winter, they're good pins but so bloody deathly pale and I think fake tan looks awful, therefore all summer they're shrouded in maxi skirts/dresses.

I love 60+ denier tights with fabulous boots and a slinky woollen dress. I'm a Bootsaholic, I LOVE them. Love all my winter coats too and cosy snuggly scarves. Every summer i buy a load of cheap flimsy crap in the sales because I hate all the stuff I bight the previous year then promptly go off it again. Rubbish.

I have a merino wool/cashmere mix dress from M&S which is my favourite work outfit. late September I'll be in it, it's beautiful quality better than the H&M £3.99 vest i'm currently wearing hmm

Alibabaandthe80nappies Sat 06-Aug-11 19:31:31

Millie - control pants will sort out your tummy for under tunics etc.

LauLauLemon Sat 06-Aug-11 19:34:13

You're not alone. I love thick opaque black tights with dresses and I even wear them in the summer with cardi's. I love flat boots, berets and pretty scarves, nice coats and thicker dresses.

I can't wait for autumn. I don't mind the cold but I hate rain, ice and snow. I can't dress for those.

pointydog Sat 06-Aug-11 19:34:25

Winter, but I suspect most brits are. Easier to dress for a season that lasts about 7 months than for a season that lasts for a few scattered weeks.

madammecholet Sat 06-Aug-11 19:39:20

minx I'm in an organic cotton skirt here......ARGHHHHHHHshock

madammecholet Sat 06-Aug-11 19:40:50

anyone got the perfect knitted/winter dress they want to share....I am on the prowl... has to not be mumsy tho, preferably black...NO patterns.??

chocoroo Sat 06-Aug-11 19:47:35

Gosh, I must be alone. I hate winter dressing, particularly wool and long sleeves.

I tend to buy lots of cardigans with 3/4 sleeves, wear opaque tights and carry on as I was in summer.

Not that I can really get away with short sleeves (bingo wings) but I just can't abide being having thick fabric on my arms.

FrancesFarmer Sat 06-Aug-11 23:45:15

I'm an Autumn dresser, I love Autumn clothes.
When it gets properly cold in winter, I just pile on layers of knits so it's not that stylish.
My spring clothes would be similar to my Autumn clothes but with less emphasis on leafy colours.
I don't put much effort into summer dressing. I have a few nice sundresses but the weather is only warm enough for them a few days a year here in Ireland.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: