Talk

Advanced search

What do I wear if the men are in suits - formal evening meal - Help!...advice please

(12 Posts)
wrigglytummy Thu 04-Aug-11 22:41:37

Please help me with some advice. I am attending a work evening meal function and the dress code is suits, or alternative for ladies. I do not know any other girls going (there are only 3 of us).
What on earth should I wear. I have a suit, but it seems restrictive, formal & frumpy for an evening meal (sitting down). I do not wear smart clothes to work - I wear a uniform, so I am panicking a bit.
I thought of a shift dress, but what would I with it - a jacket?
I am a 10-12 (12 on top after 2 children!), reasonable shape, decent legs (but do not want anything too short!), and would need some decent shoes too as I mainly have boots & trainers!
I have 3 weeks.....please help me out!

tethersend Thu 04-Aug-11 22:50:58

What's your budget?

If you want to wear something suitish, how about a dress like this?

TBH, if there's only 3 of you, you can probably get away with anything...

tethersend Thu 04-Aug-11 22:51:20

...within reason wink

HellonHeels Thu 04-Aug-11 22:55:10

If dress code is 'lounge suit' for men, usually means 'cocktail frock' for women ie a nice dress but not a ball gown.

If it were me I'd go for a Coast or Phase Eight kinda dress with heels and a clutch bag. What's your budget?

wrigglytummy Thu 04-Aug-11 22:56:17

Thank you, that looks slightly scarily smart - but lovely, I really want to get dress and shoes for £150 if at all possible....but I am not very good at this smart dressing thing!
I guess I could get away with quite alot - I don't mind a bit of risk, but I am not terribly brave!

wrigglytummy Thu 04-Aug-11 23:03:26

Hellon, it is more work suit than lounge suit I think - reasonably formal, no bingo wings hanging out - but smart & sexy (if I can pull it off) would be great!

HellonHeels Thu 04-Aug-11 23:10:35

Annoyingly this one is out of stock but might give you an idea of where I was heading:

www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/warehouse/All-Sale/Janice-Jersey-Dress/200994351

I love that Ted Baker one but as I'm currently overheating it looks too hot!

tethersend Thu 04-Aug-11 23:16:05

How about a Vivienne Westwood dress with some metallic heels?

HellonHeels Thu 04-Aug-11 23:18:57

or this one:

www.johnlewis.com/211555/Product.aspx

HellonHeels Thu 04-Aug-11 23:21:16

Mmm like the Westwood!

bestmate Fri 05-Aug-11 06:53:05

Ooh that Westwood dress is yummy.

wrigglytummy Fri 05-Aug-11 10:38:09

Mmmm, like the Westwood dress, the JL one looks good but my work computer cannot fully access the site and I cannot see what sizes are available - i will look again tonight.
I'm getting my head around the idea of a dress and starting to enjoy it!
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now