Talk

Advanced search

A dress for a non-dress person?

(22 Posts)
gabity Thu 04-Aug-11 18:43:46

Please help!

DD is getting Christened in 3 weeks and I can't find anything to wear sad

I have worn a dress once since I left school (wedding dress) but I really would like to get a dress for this occasion but don't know where to start.

Am a size 12/14 5'8 but have got really fat legs! That said I have been wearing shorts in the garden this summer and would quite like to bear them if I am brave enough. Have got red hair and fair complexion if that helps. Budget around £100ish.

Will also need shoes etc - sandles or proper shoes?

Or should I play it safe in my usual black trousers and nice top? (any top suggestions welcome also!)

KaySirah Thu 04-Aug-11 18:45:02

i dont like dresses much. why not just wear trousers
not black

gabity Thu 04-Aug-11 18:47:58

I only own black trousers or jeans ... any trouser inspiration welcome too cccc

gabity Thu 04-Aug-11 18:48:23

.... not cccc blush

Popbiscuit Thu 04-Aug-11 18:58:05

How about a nice pair of black trousers and a crisp, solid colour blouse with a big, unusual "statement necklace" or great pair of earrings? Shoes could be peep-toe black heels (patent maybe?) or perhaps silver/gold or something else neutral?
I'm a fellow dress-avoider and have learned from many "wishful" dress purchases that I never feel comfortable or like myself in them and they end up never seeing the light of day again, although I do actually LIKE dresses...they just don't like me (or my legs, specifically).

Instead of going straight for a dress how about a lovely skirt and top, I am similar shape to you and don't like wearing dresses but can usually find a skirt and top that looks nice.

Having said that if I did want to wear a dress I would probably start here:
Phase 8 Sale dresses

sockpoppet Fri 05-Aug-11 07:03:45

Don't wear trousers, there are loads of nice dresses around. If you choose a dress with a wide skirt it will balance out your legs

supergreenuk Fri 05-Aug-11 07:23:39

My legs are rubbish too. It might be worth trying on a few maxi dresses. There are loads around right now.

supergreenuk Fri 05-Aug-11 07:32:19

Some great dresses on that link. If you look at the gorgeous tunic dresses you can put black leggings with them and some lovely shoes. There is a nice striped maxi dress in that link too.

Do not wear maxi dresses, I don't care how fat your legs are. Maxi skirts yes, maxi dresses no.

Collision Fri 05-Aug-11 08:20:38

LTS

supergreenuk Fri 05-Aug-11 08:40:10

IYO lol

gabity Fri 05-Aug-11 10:19:40

Thank you all so much! Some great ideas.

I LOVE the LTS dress, it's sold out in a 14, I have never had anything from them, how do sizes come up? Would I get away with the 12? Normally buy 12 for tops and 14 for bottoms ....

Looks like a great shop anyway ... Away to spend browse.

gabity Fri 05-Aug-11 10:25:44

Also, if I was to go the tunic route with leggings what shoes would be best? (to make my fat ankles look as good as pos, if pos)

I am so clueless blush

supergreenuk Fri 05-Aug-11 13:06:54

You can do ballet shoes, cute flip flops, heels or wedges. It can depend on what tunic you go for.

Collision Fri 05-Aug-11 14:53:14

Do not go for leggings and tunic top.

Way too casual for mother of the christen-ee.

Will find you another dress.

Ignore the fact that you think you have fat legs as no one will be looking at them!

Get a 12 in the LTS dress and see what the fittings are like.

supergreenuk Fri 05-Aug-11 15:36:24

Omg. Too much pressure. Go in what you feel happy in and if your anything like me with my legs DON'T wear something that you feel self conscious about them in. If that means wearing a maxi dress or leggings then so be it.

There are no rules that because your the mother you have to dress a certain way. It's you and families day. Just make sure you enjoy it. That is far more important.

gabity Fri 05-Aug-11 16:01:19

Well...

Dress from LTS ordered in a 12...then went to Phase 8...

Such a helpful assistant, spent ages with me and felt like I tried on every dress in the shop! In the end I had 4 to chose between - so got 2!! blush A lovely purple less formal one that would look good with black tights or leggings (which were also purchased with a pair of ballet pumps) and the one I am going to wear for the Christening, was reduced from £160 to £110 so could justify buying the other one with the savings I made - is that how it works??!!

Will try and find links - I am converted and so happy! Cant recommend Phase 8 enough! (DH is going to have a fit right enough, I have never spent more than £30 on anything for myself in my life before clothes wise! - but hope he will be suitably impressed when he sees me in it - I hope!)

gabity Fri 05-Aug-11 16:07:51

this one with a matching shrug - okay?

supergreenuk Fri 05-Aug-11 17:12:32

I'm so glad your happy. The link just takes me to a google page. Grrr

Collision Fri 05-Aug-11 17:29:12

oooh beautiful dress!

I usually recommend Phase8 on here but got heckled for it the last time! I love Phase8 and the clothes are beautiful and good quality too.

Phase8 is the new Principles imvho.

You will look fab. Post some photos of the christening if you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now