Talk

Advanced search

Perfume recommendations for someone who doesn't really like perfume?

(35 Posts)
sedgiebaby Thu 04-Aug-11 10:43:09

Sorry the title may not really make sense - what I mean is I find almost all perfumes too pungent. I'm after a clean fresh scent that does not overpower.

Once in a while I will wear DH's Clinique Happy for men and I don't mind the version for women, but its not really what I'm looking for.

polyhymnia Thu 04-Aug-11 11:30:38

I know exactly what you mean. Have you tried Clarins Eau Dynamisante - very fresh and light. I also like Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, Dior Escale a Portofino, Dior Eau Sauvage (meant for men, but unisex), Sisley Eau de Campagne, and Miller Harris Tangerine Vert.

cardoon Thu 04-Aug-11 11:36:14

Watching.........I would love to find a perfume I really like

Don't like Happy very much, using Clarins Jardin atm, it's OK but doesn't last

<<fussy>>

Georgieann Thu 04-Aug-11 11:41:55

The Jo Malone perfume range is lovely and not overpowering at all.

polyhymnia Thu 04-Aug-11 12:01:00

I'm really not a fan of JM myself - I think they're over-rated - but perfume is a very personal thing so would probably be worth OP trying some of their more citrussy/green offerings to see if she likes them.

Clarins Eau Dynamisante doesn't last hugely either but I personally much prefer that, and spritzing it on again, to having a cloying 'traditional' perfume clinging to me all day.

dweezle Thu 04-Aug-11 12:43:39

Second the Annick Goutal - I don't like floral scents and this one is very 'green', almost grassy with some green herbs and citrus thrown in. Eau du Sud is lovely too. Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire (it's a men's fragrance) is another favourite, but not that easy to find.

Helenagrace Thu 04-Aug-11 12:48:26

Have a look at the Aqua Allegoria range by Guerlain. Really light (Jasminora is gorgeous) but not overpowering.

Gucci flora is pretty but light (in the eau fraiche version).

sparkle1977 Thu 04-Aug-11 13:10:35

Not sure what premium brand perfumes would suit you as I tend to be the opposite and go for quite heavy ones. However I would try French Connection for clean, fresh scents. Go into your local FC clothes shop and they usually stock perfumes and matching bath products etc at the back.

As for branded perfumes I wore CK One as a youngster when it was first out and I remember that as being fresh and light ?

JennyPiccolo Thu 04-Aug-11 18:05:14

arran aromatics do one called 'just grapefruit' which i wore when i was pregnant because heavy perfumes gave me the heave.

blossoming Thu 04-Aug-11 18:14:31

Armani 'Elle', the gold one. Other perfumes give me a headache. This one is lovely.

F1lthym1ndedvixen Thu 04-Aug-11 18:16:19

came on to suggest Eau Dynamisante...smile

I am the same. Me and my boys share a bottle of CK1 (lemony)

The summer version was nice too.

blossoming Thu 04-Aug-11 18:17:32

this one.

Msarsebiscuit Thu 04-Aug-11 18:23:45

My suggestions are Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterrannee - the kind of fragrance that causes people to ask what you're wearing - fresh and unusual, with no powdery, sweet elements and Christian Dior Eau Svelte - a very fresh and light fragrance, that's supposed to be a body spray - they tend not to have it on display so you have to ask for it.

Good luck

paulapantsdown Thu 04-Aug-11 18:35:35

Try 212 by Caroline Herrera - very fresh. I use 4711 cologne too ALL the time in the summer to freshen up.

polyhymnia Thu 04-Aug-11 19:13:16

Dweezle Eau du Sud is my other great favourite too a touch of fig but not cloying. Malle has some marvellous things too though as you say hard to find.

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 04-Aug-11 19:21:30

Not sure how niche / swish you're looking for?
For 'clean scents', bought on high street, there are 2 others I'd recommend, both 'celebrity scents':
- believe it or not, J-Lo's 1st fragrance, GLOW
- Jennifer Aniston's one also

MrsSeanBean Thu 04-Aug-11 19:28:56

Chanel no 19 (eau de toilette) may fit the bill. (Powdery, subtle)

Or Dior Escale a Portofino. (Citrus)

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Thu 04-Aug-11 20:53:09

Another one for Eau Dynamisante or Eau Ressourcante(sp?) I love them both and they're very light and fresh. The body lotion smells a bit stronger if you want something longer lasting.

brighthair Thu 04-Aug-11 21:13:07

J lo glow
Dkny original woman
Jo Malone lime basil and mandarin
Ck one

Carrotsandcelery Thu 04-Aug-11 21:14:58

Kenzo - Flower is a lovely fresh summer scent and very light.

I have been complimented on it from those who have hugged me grin

essexmumma Thu 04-Aug-11 21:16:58

Jo Malone- lime basil and mandarin or White Jasmine & can't remembergrin. They last all day and stay fresh.

DKNY Pure - lovely and clean smelling

Chanel Cristalle Vert - gorgeous.

I like fresh stuff too - these are all lovely, light, clean and fresh smelling. X

brighthair Thu 04-Aug-11 21:20:10

Oh Demeter do perfumes like "soap" and "grass" which are v fresh
L'eau par kenzo too

TarquinGyrfalcon Thu 04-Aug-11 21:31:37

Davidoff - Cool Water Summer Dive is very light and fresh

neuroticmumof3 Thu 04-Aug-11 23:00:32

Philosophy Pure Grace. Clean and fresh.

BrainThrustMastery Thu 04-Aug-11 23:43:29

Jean Paul Gaultier - le male

Smells so fresh, like just-washed laundry smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now