Talk

Advanced search

Jersey Dresses

(17 Posts)
GertieGuineaPig Thu 04-Aug-11 09:18:39

I've decided that this winter I intend wear dresses a lot more and ditch the jeans that I live in all winter (not the same ones and they do get a wash smile) what I'd like to buy are some jersey dresses - plain or patterned (but not too patterned like some of the Boden stuff) which I can wear with Wolford tights (MN tip) and boots. Does anyone know which High street shops I should be heading to? I will order off the Net if I have to, but I much prefer actually going into a shop and trying something on there. Any advice will be appreciated. I'm a size 14/16. Thankyooou

Bonsoir Thu 04-Aug-11 09:21:45

If I were you I wouldn't set your mind on jersey dresses, but just on dresses, and go and have a good look around in the shops when the AW11 stuff hits them. Try on lots of styles!

Helenagrace Thu 04-Aug-11 10:04:37

I've just ordered two from Next and, more bizarrely, just got a gorgeous jersey dress for £12 in Asda. I guess the quality might be a bit suspect but it was so lovely and fitted so well I thought I'd take a risk.

I haven't been that impressed with Boden quality recently.

higgle Thu 04-Aug-11 10:07:45

It is a good way of dressing - if you get the right makes the dresses will wash well and need minimal ironing. I like the Brora ones ( though they can be seen as a little frumpy) you can wear them as they are in spring and autumn and put a matching lace edged thermal vest underneath if it is very cold ( or a big thich cashmere cardi over the top, if you are loaded)

Helzapoppin Thu 04-Aug-11 10:52:17

I agree that it's such an easy way to dress. I have several from Phase Eight, a couple of Boden and also some from Kew. If plain, I tend to pair with some coloured tights (not sure if this is wise, but I like it!) and a nice pair of boots. I've also found knitted dresses a really easy style to wear. Rather than trailing round lots of stores, you may want to try one of the bigger department stores (House of Fraser, John Lewis) where there are lots of labels all together.

netbook Thu 04-Aug-11 10:58:37

I've always liked la redoute,

here
here
here
i like this

Not sure what to do this year though they've changed their sizing, it used to be 14/16 which was just right as I'm a busty 14. Now they do 12/14 or 16/18 and I'm confused

Zwitterion Thu 04-Aug-11 13:31:18

I love wearing dresses and would rather wear them than anything else really. I've got jersey dresses from Hobbs (NW3 stuff) which are really flattering for me (appley carrotty shape) and White Company (good quality and cut). Also Phase Eight sometimes. I find Dorothy Perkins are quite good for jersey, cheap and not amazing quality but ok.

I sent back an everyday Boden dress in the summer as I hated the print, but it was very very flattering. They've got a winter version here which may be worth a look.

GertieGuineaPig Thu 04-Aug-11 13:44:08

Thankyou all for the replies, I knew MN wouldn't let me down smile. When it's quiet tonight I'll have a good look on the websites of some of these shops. net I hadn't thought of la redoute. Thanks all

chocolateteabag Thu 04-Aug-11 21:48:24

Isabella oliver - loads of jersey dresses in their autumn stuff
and Fashion15 will get you 15% off and free delivery

I am considering this in the plum colour.

I'm a size 14 and love the 365 clothes - they are pricey but wash really well. They will have offers on so if 15% is still too much register for the email updates.

madammecholet Fri 05-Aug-11 07:49:11

Chocolate I have that dress in black, it is perfect, am loving the new plum colour! Word of warning tho, my mum recently ordered from them, it took ages to come and the customer service was really poor, infant the women on the phone was actually very rude when my mother passed on her complaint, with the answer 'well it's your choice to order or not, if you don't like it, don't order'. Reaaaaalllly bad attitude.

Shame, because clothes are lovely...

GertieGuineaPig Fri 05-Aug-11 09:00:08

Chocolate does the Isabella Oliver dress tie neatly and lie flat at the side? it's just that I'm big enough without a tie bunching out at the side of me smile I'll have a look through the website and see if they do any dresses that aren't wraps. Thanks for your reply.

polyhymnia Fri 05-Aug-11 09:40:14

I found the tie on the IO Wrap dress most certainly didn't sit neatly. Admittedly I'm not good with my hands, but I couldn't get it to do anything other than make a vast bow, bulging out at my side, as though I was in fancy dress as a giant cracker! Which certainly didn't flatter my large frame.

I've also had very bad service from them - both inefficient and 'don't care'. So much so that I complained to the woman who runs IO, who, to be fair, apologised profusely.

Lots of people rave, but have concluded they're not for me. My favourite jersey dresses at moment are Boden, though Hobbs look really good, I think.

Ambernj1 Fri 05-Aug-11 15:11:03

In contrast I have received exceptional customer service from IO in the past (problem with my order, a director of the firm getting in touch and having the dress I wanted couriered to me for free (the dress that is) so I would have it in time for my holiday) - maybe I'm just a really good moaner?

I lived in their stuff throughout my pregnancy and have now moved on to 365 - I find the wrap dresses tie well, but I am a size 10 with a pretty small waist so the bulk doesn't bother me. They are really flattering and hide my flabby arse and thighs problem areas well.

Also rate Boden, Phase Eight and Jigsaw for jersey dresses.

GertieGuineaPig Sat 06-Aug-11 08:57:10

Helen just looked at the Asda website, you're right they have some lovely dresses. Don't want to look pushy, but any other high street shops ? what about M and S do they ever have nice ham dresses? smile I never look in there. I can't for all the sale tat to be out of the shops and the autumn/winter clothes to be in!! I want to get buying!!

GertieGuineaPig Sat 06-Aug-11 08:58:49

I can't wait for all the sale tat to be out of the shops!! really should check before I post

Flowerista Sat 06-Aug-11 09:07:08

OP I hit pay dirt in Zara last year and it will be top of my list this year. I'm with you Gertie in hoping the sales end soon. It's nearly boot buying time!

Flowerista Sat 06-Aug-11 09:08:54

M&s had nice bits in the Limited bit last year but it's all been a bit crap lately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now