Talk

Advanced search

Does good looking footwear with arch support exist?

(10 Posts)
PetiteMum Wed 03-Aug-11 21:26:26

or am I destined to a life of scholl Clogs <shudder>

shelldockley Thu 04-Aug-11 11:10:44

I need to know this too! I can't wear anything completely flat, so ballet flats and havianas/gladiators are out, which is a shame coz they're so pretty! In the summer I mostly wear birkenstocks, which aren't especially pretty, and last winter I lived in Fitflop Mukluk boots, which were so comfy I think I'll buy them in another colour for this winter.

Other than that, I find inbetweeny weather more difficult, I have Jack Purcell Converse trainers, which have more support than the All Stars, and I do find wedges/low heels comfortable as well so I can wear smarter shoes and boots. Just wish I could find a pretty pair of ballet flats with some support, I may try Clarks.

slug Thu 04-Aug-11 12:12:07

<<marking my place>>

CyanideCindy Thu 04-Aug-11 12:29:38

Hi PetiteMum. I have needed arch support for years and used to live in Birkenstocks. About five years ago I discovered Orthaheel insoles and have never looked back - I now buy any shoes I fancy in a half size larger and insert the Orthaheels.
There are a couple of drawbacks - Orthaheels are expensive (£20 upwards) and you really need a pair for every pair of shoes. Also, they're a bit bulky and don't fit well in very flimsy or shallow shoes - however, I do have several pairs of dainty flats and pumps which they fit in just fine.
I have built up a wardrobe of shoes with Orthaheel insoles over the last five years and no, I don't work for them!

magso Thu 04-Aug-11 14:17:43

Orthotics might be the way to go - either custom made or orthaheels if they suit you. Some shoes have removable insoles which accommodate full length orthotics more easily -such as some of clarks ( unstructured range) and Think if you like quirky. Try Lovethoseshoes as they stock several brands.

CyanideCindy Thu 04-Aug-11 14:31:19

I usually wear Clarks shoes with removeable insoles for daily wear. Or any good shoes or boots which will take a full length Orthaheel orthotic. For evening or smarter occasions when I'll only be wearing them for a few hours I go for any pretty shoes or pumps worn with the Orthaheel slimline or half length orthotic, although these don't provide quite as much rigid support as the full size ones.

PetiteMum Thu 04-Aug-11 21:01:07

Gulp! I will buy some inserts and see if they fit my shoes....I can't bear to part with ANY of them sad

hiddenhome Thu 04-Aug-11 21:33:12

I just wear inserts. There are very few shoes with decent arch supports around. My trainers aren't too bad, but even the Clarks stuff needs inserts.

bestmate Thu 04-Aug-11 23:16:54

Do you mean you have a high instep? I do and I find birkensotcks totally unbearable. They cripple me.

accessorizequeen Fri 05-Aug-11 11:26:43

I have El naturalista shoes, excellent arch support. Other than fitflops it's all I've found lately that is comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now