Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear to the Ballet at Royal Opera House?

(27 Posts)
beachfairy Tue 02-Aug-11 17:33:56

Does anyone know what the dress code is for the Opera House for men and women? I'm guessing a dress but not sure what sort of style? I'm a tall size 10 and clueless if anyone has any links? (Also, I'm hopeless with shoes so any hints on those too would be good?)

Thank you muchly!

tulpe Tue 02-Aug-11 17:37:27

anything goes at the ROH. DH took me a few years ago for a wedding anniversary and I wore a cocktail dress because he had bought it for me as part of the surprise smile But there were people there in the full range from jeans to black tie.

Personally, I love dressing up to go to the theatre but I think you need to consider what you are comfortable in and go from there.

I don't think there is a dress code and I think what people wear is v mixed, with some in jeans (though I wouldn't) and others really dressed up to the nines. Personally, I'd go with a nice dress and heels. Men - I'd say smartish trousers and a shirt but not a tie unless he wants to.

Tulpe envy

tulpe Tue 02-Aug-11 17:43:59

If it makes you feel better Remus it hasn't been repeated since grin

Although he did arrange dinner on a desert island in the Maldives for my 40th so can't complain too much as he does have his moments........just wish they were more frequent than once every 5 years!!

LIZS Tue 02-Aug-11 17:45:31

Depends where you are sitting and if it is a gala or not . The further up the less formal , jeans perfectly acceptable at the top !

smile Aha - are you the red maxi dress lady? If so, I remember that!

tulpe Tue 02-Aug-11 17:56:56

I am!

<<apologies to beachfairy for thread hijack blush >>

Sorry, BeachFairy.

Tulpe - you looked fab in that red dress.

Dp booked a surprise trip to Prague for my 40th but I didn't get a new dress for it!

valiumredhead Tue 02-Aug-11 18:38:32

Anything you like - it won;t be wrong. Have a nice time smile

beachfairy Tue 02-Aug-11 18:45:28

Thank you.. I have no idea where we will be sitting but I do fancy using this as a v good excuse to treat myself to a 'proper' dress and feel like spending a few quid more than I normally would (I don't get many opportunities to dress up).

I also assume then that chinos and a nice shirt will do for DH?

polyhymnia Tue 02-Aug-11 18:47:30

Definitely.

Sounds perfect!

Do you have a dress in mind?

beachfairy Tue 02-Aug-11 18:56:01

Thanks Remus

I do quite fancy going the whole hog and buying a Diane Von Furstenburg or similar dress (as an 'investment' grin) but I really don't know where to start...

Ooh yes - get a Westwood! Hang on - I'll see if can find a pic of the one I really, really want (and can't have).

beachfairy Tue 02-Aug-11 18:57:48

Also, tried this on and it is v flattering but not sure if it is the right sort of style and no idea what to pair it with....

Here...Drool

beachfairy Tue 02-Aug-11 18:58:48

Sorry here it is

The Reiss one is scrummy.

polyhymnia Tue 02-Aug-11 19:03:20

I think that is absolutely gorgeous, but might look a little OTT at the ROH from my experience - unless a gala. But it would be an investment, for sure.

beachfairy Tue 02-Aug-11 19:11:48

How about this one

polyhymnia was it the reiss one which you thought might be OTT? Also, excuse my ignorance but what is a gala?

twittergirl Tue 02-Aug-11 19:14:36

I go all the time and you can wear what you want. Some people are in jeans and some are very dressed up. I usually wear a skirt or dress. It tends to be more dressy at the weekends than mid-week, but there really is no dress code as such.

Less fond of the DVF one - tis a bit severe looking.

Did neither of you like the VW one? I waaaaaaaaaaaaant it!

beachfairy Tue 02-Aug-11 20:13:10

The VW is very, very nice - just don't think I could carry it off.

What about this one

Please keep any suggestions coming smile

I just think it would be easy to look frumpy in the DVF ones, although you are tall and slim and I am short and curved, so you almost certainly won't look frumpy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now