Talk

Advanced search

foundation... but in powder form... help!

(19 Posts)
theladylovescupcakes Tue 02-Aug-11 09:29:54

I don't currently wear foundation but would like some kind of sheer coverage. Quite like the idea of those mineral all-in-one powders that they advertise on theshopping channels blush. Something that will even out my skin and make me look a little more"polished" but not gunky enough that it will cover my freckles and tan. Any high-street recommendations/suggestions? TIA

AnaisB Tue 02-Aug-11 09:37:56

Lo'Oreal True Match is really good. Max factor Natural Minerals is not.

AnaisB Tue 02-Aug-11 09:38:53

L'Oreal

sedgiebaby Tue 02-Aug-11 09:43:20

Hi, I've tried a few of the cheaper ones and keep going back to bareminerals/bare escentuals which you will find on QVC, but also some dept stores now I think . A 9g pot will last me a few months so it turns out to be affordable, although these days I'm using a Stila tinted moisturiser with a little mineral make up on top. I remember I tried the l'oreal version, liked it but went through it very fast.

If you buy from QVC you can return if it is not right for you, this is helpful if you are unsure of which colour to buy. If you can find one of the starter kits this can be great if you haven't used it before, sometimes they come with two foundations which helps you decide which colour to repurchase and a mineral veil as well as suitable brushes.

CointreauVersial Tue 02-Aug-11 18:18:59

I use Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish - it has a little grinder that grinds a small amount of powder when you turn the base. It is not at all heavy or "powdery", and I love it, but it is reasonably pricey - near the £30 mark.

theladylovescupcakes Tue 02-Aug-11 18:19:39

thanks guys, had a look at the Bare Escentuals in Debenhams today - no-one at the counter so will probably go back another time so I can get help with colour matching, etc.

valiumredhead Tue 02-Aug-11 18:24:50

Bare Minerals!

nikkinoonoo Tue 02-Aug-11 18:30:57

Is the mineral one good for spotty skin? As in coverage wise? I am trying to find my perfect foundation and my skin always breaks out so was just wondering! Thabks! Sorry for intruding on your post x

valiumredhead Tue 02-Aug-11 18:34:46

This thread might be helpful smile
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1265671-Bare-Escentuals-Mineral-makeup

CuttlefishDramas Tue 02-Aug-11 18:52:43

Bloom from Superdrug is really good.

emsyj Tue 02-Aug-11 21:09:17

I've got the Lily Lolo ones. Not tried any others so can't compare, but they work pretty well. I really like the Flawless Silk finishing powder as it gives you more of a glowy finish than you expect from a powder. You can buy little sample tester pots for £1.29 (I think) so you can find the right shade even though it's an internet shop.

i don't much rate their mineral concealer tho.

bridgeandbow Tue 02-Aug-11 21:15:08

I use Lilylolo too. You can buy online, but they it is also sold through beauty salons - you can search for stockists on their website. I went to a salon to get the right colour and have a chat about applying and then bought online from then on. If going down this route do phone the place first though - I think the stockists list might need a bit of updating. I went to a few salons that were closed!

doglover Tue 02-Aug-11 21:16:58

Bodyshop do one, too.

skyebluepink Tue 02-Aug-11 22:45:13

I use Lily Lolo because I think Bare Escentuals is expensive and not justifiably so. Anyway I discovered this recently and I haven't tried it but it looks good.
http://www.cocktailcosmetics.co.uk/Everyday-Minerals/

AlpinePony Wed 03-Aug-11 08:08:37

Personally I found the powder foundations extremely unnatural - I'd second the ealier proposal of L'Oreal's "True Match", Boots No. 7 "intelligent foundation" and the Max Factor version whose name temporarily escapes me but is in the same shape pot as the Boots one.

sedgiebaby Wed 03-Aug-11 14:53:16

I did not like mineral make up at first, but I was using too much. I find with the mineral it is a case of putting much less than you think you need and using a very good buffing brush, also making sure you use a moisturiser first. You can also spritz your face with a little water for a more dewy look that loses any dryness you might see.

L8rAllig8r Wed 03-Aug-11 15:20:16

Body Shop all in one face base is a powder foundation, it's great and really quick and easy to use.

AlpinePony Wed 03-Aug-11 15:29:24

Oooh yes L8r - that's an old favourite too - but with my T-zone needs re-touching. But maybe I need to go and buy another one, as you say sooooo easy to use.

LouPac Wed 03-Aug-11 15:39:45

Hi, I have my own business within the health and wellness sector and I have a fantastic make up range. I have mineral make up which I love and is great for giving a even coverage but you cant feel that you are wearing any make up. You can layer the mineral makeup on depending if you want a day time look or an evening look! Myself I hate the feel of foundation on my skin so for me mineral make up is light, doesnt clog up the skins and you can build it up gradually. If you would like more info about my range let me know. Regards Louise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now