Talk

Advanced search

Babyliss Big Hair - looks lovely for 5 mins after styling and then...

(15 Posts)
TillyIpswitch Tue 02-Aug-11 02:44:55

...POOOFFFFF!!! Frizz city. confused

Why? By all accounts, I have the hair it was designed for - horrible, thick, frizzy and coarse; not curly, straight nor wavy. It tames it beautifully, but then 5 minutes later - bouffant. It used to hold for a bit longer than that, but these days, I'm lucky to get 5 minutes worth of shiny, bouncy locks.

I use Moroccan Oil to style it with and am convinced it's a giant swizz, since it doesn't DO anything. I've tried using a decent amount of oil through it and a tiny amount - same end result.

Do other people experience this? What am I doing wrong? What products do other people use with their BBH?

Scathac Tue 02-Aug-11 20:53:23

I have one and I love it. I use one of those blow dry sprays first. after i have styled my hair, i let it cool at the roots (this really helps to keep the style) then i just use hairspray or occasionally some styling clay - but my hair isn't frizzy to start with, in fact the opposite, it tends to flop. however the BIg Hair thingy really gives it bounce , so don't know if this helps.

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 20:56:09

Oh, I'm finding mine helps with the frizz - and I live in Scotland and give it some serious drizzle action.

sockpoppet Tue 02-Aug-11 21:21:13

If you're fed up of it is happily buy it off you ;-)

Havingkittens Tue 02-Aug-11 21:26:39

Are you drying your hair so that it's 100% dry? It's best not to do it from completely wet, but to wait until it's probably about 20-30% dry before even starting. Either let it part dry naturally or rough dry it with a normal hairdryer first. If there is any dampness left in it after you've dried it, it will almost certainly go frizzy as it's moisture that makes it frizz.

TillyIpswitch Wed 03-Aug-11 22:32:16

Havingkittens - I usually wait until it's about 80-90% dry, and then style it. By the time I've finished styling it, it's 100% dry, but still frizzes.

I reaaaally want/need it to work, since it has literally transformed my hair and it looks so good immediately afterwards - it just doesn't hold the style. Maybe some hairspray is the answer.

I do live in a humid climate - even in winter (which it is now), so maybe I'm facing a bit of a losing battle. sad

sockpoppet - I actually have two - I loved it so much on buying it, and was about to leave the UK and had a moment of fear/paranoia that something might happen to it, so I bought a back up just in case. blush

ILoveGregoryHouse Wed 03-Aug-11 22:39:32

I lived in middle east. Used vo5 gel spray and then elnett hairspray when done. Back in the uk now and still do that. I love my Big Hair.

TillyIpswitch Thu 04-Aug-11 01:02:17

Thanks ILove - do you put the gel spray in before styling, and then the elnett afterwards?

CoteDAzur Thu 04-Aug-11 08:23:09

It's probably because you put oil on your hair before styling it with Babyliss.

Try using very little oil after you use the Babyliss, once your hair is done.

Havingkittens Thu 04-Aug-11 09:27:16

You just answered. Your own question! Living in a humid climate you really do have a battle on your hands. You need to find a good anti humidity styling product.

CoteDAzur Thu 04-Aug-11 10:33:23

I live right by the sea in the South of France - another very humid environment. If your hair is frizzing/falling minutes after you style it, it is probably not the weather but (1) you haven't dried it properly and/or (2) you put an oily styling product before using Babyliss (happened to me).

leanne82duke993 Thu 04-Aug-11 12:17:44

i would use some frizz ease or something similar on soaking wet hair, then let your hair dry to about 80% dry as you normally do then add the oil after.

i dont have dry hair but i am a hairdresser smile lol x

the trick is to improve the condition of your hair, so do conditioning treatments regularly and get your hair cut regularly x

Havingkittens Thu 04-Aug-11 15:25:14

Sorry about my weird punctuation. I was posting from my phone.

Well, I only speak from my own experience. When I spent time in Central America, where they have about 90% humidity, I couldn't do anything with my hair but tie it up as the humidity just made it a big frizzy mess regardless of blow drying. In that sort of environment it's pretty hard to dry anything properly, whether it be hair or clothing!

TillyIpswitch Thu 04-Aug-11 19:35:27

Thanks so much everyone - a few tricks to try here. smile

sockpoppet Thu 04-Aug-11 22:30:51

Right I've bought a full price one and await tips on how best to use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now