Talk

Advanced search

So who loves OPI nail varnish and who thinks it's crap?

(20 Posts)
Jacksmania Mon 01-Aug-11 14:33:25

I personally like it but have sometimes found it prone to chipping.

Just bought some OPI Nail Envy strengthener, and OPI Rapid Dry topcoat. Has anyone tried them?

sweetheart Mon 01-Aug-11 15:51:10

I like the colours but I think for the price the quality is no better than say Rimmel. Mine is always chipped within a day or two of putting it on.

valiumredhead Mon 01-Aug-11 16:03:18

I love the colours but nothing special imo and they don't last long in the bottles - they get gooey and the lids get jammed on.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 01-Aug-11 16:06:47

I dont rate them, I didn't think the cover was very even.

My varnish of choice is Bourjois. I like the Jessica rapid dry topcoat and base coat.

mckenzie Mon 01-Aug-11 16:17:44

my varnish chips whatever I use. In fact the cheap Rimmel I bought a few years ago has been better than the OPI and the Jessica varnishes that I have.

shelldockley Mon 01-Aug-11 16:21:44

I've got quite a few colours and the finish is different for different ones, the matt type ones chip really bad, but the creme ones are nice. Mine usually will last a week. I don't rate the base coats and Rapid dry, while it's very good, you'll only get about half of the bottles worth before it goes gloopy. I've used Jessica and Sally Hansen ones which are better.

happy2bhomely Mon 01-Aug-11 21:56:33

I love them. I painted my toenails 4 weeks ago with a bright pink one and they are still going strong.

bellavita Mon 01-Aug-11 21:58:36

I like OPI and Jessica.

They key is to wear an undercoat, two coats of varnish and then a top coat - helps to stop the chips.

wellwisher Mon 01-Aug-11 22:40:36

Love OPI. I never 'blame' polish for chipping as I am terrible for scratching at things, washing up without gloves, rummaging in bags etc. I also tend to get bored with manicures and take them off after 3 days so not that worried about durability.

What I particularly like about OPI is how smoothly the colour comes out - even really pale/natural shades, which usually streak, come out lovely and even if they're by OPI.

Beamur Mon 01-Aug-11 22:42:26

My beautician uses OPI - and does exactly what bellavita says - they never chip on my toes, it grows out before it wears off.

mamalovesmojitos Tue 02-Aug-11 07:53:17

I think its good, but you can get the same quality cheaper. I use seche vite topcoat and that really prolongs any nail varnish. I have recommended gosh on here before, i love them. Huge range of colours and cheaper than OPI. With OPI I have to use two coats, with gosh just one. They seem to be more highly pigmented.

A lot of people have been raving about rimmel on here, and my friend named it as her favourite brand a few days ago, so that's what i'm going to try next.

mamalovesmojitos Tue 02-Aug-11 07:54:07

Oooooh, and nails inc. are fantastic. I think they may be pricey, I've just picked up a few freebies in glamour mag. Excellent quality.

bellavita Tue 02-Aug-11 08:04:41

I do also wear rubber gloves when doing washing up or cleaning the bathroom which helps to stop chips immensely.

MrsBloomingTroll Tue 02-Aug-11 09:54:32

Love OPI, it dries very quickly. Worth the extra money. I did buy some rapid dry but it makes the polish go streaky.

HappyAsIAm Tue 02-Aug-11 14:51:06

Love OPI. I have been wearing it on my toes for nearly 3 weeks and it hasn't chipped or flaked at all. And I've been wearing sandals nearly all that time, so plenty of opportunity!

mamalovesmojitos Tue 02-Aug-11 16:47:01

waah after reading this thread i put on some OPI a few days ago. It's all peeled and chipped. Not impressed.

To those saying their pedicures have lasted for weeks, they inevitably do. My toenails never chip. Fingers are the real test. I was expecting better after this thread sad.

piprabbit Tue 02-Aug-11 16:48:57

Can't be arsed with the colours - but have been very impressed with Nail Envy.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 02-Aug-11 20:25:18

I think it seems so variable depending on your nails?

I love OPI it lasts really well on me. I hate Chanel it peels off in hours. Yet others report the exact opposite.

Regardless of type nail varnish, base coat and top coats last best without chipping for me when it's a fresh bottle. When it starts to go gungy I bin it.

Oh and I find that when I apply a rapid dry type thing (I use the Jessica one) my nails chip easier, thats comparing the same base, colour and top coat.

FritziGreenEyes Tue 02-Aug-11 20:26:44

I love Butter London at the moment. If I use a topcoat every nail varnish looks so much better.

FreeButtonBee Tue 02-Aug-11 20:30:34

Nail Inc too thick and gloopy.

I'd rather put on 2 thin coats than have to faff with thick messy treacle.

Seche Vite is the only top coat that has ever given me nail varnish that lasts more than 3 days, normally I get a week from it with perhaps one or two tiny top ups from chips (I am so clumsy it is ridiculous so that is a winner from me)

Seche Vite also gives me 2-3 WEEKS for pedicures! Amazing.

Might try GOSH, thanks for the tip MLM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now