Talk

Advanced search

Camping hair - help!

(20 Posts)
AutumnWitch Mon 01-Aug-11 13:57:25

My thick wavy/frizzy hair usually needs a blow-dry and a visit from the straighteners to look half way decent.
I'm lucky to get 5 minutes on a coin operated dryer when I'm camping so spend the whole holiday with crazy thatching on my head.
I've considered and dismissed cordless straighteners - something that hot in a tent makes me edgy and I doubt my family will want to wait for me to do my hair.
So.... could any of you recommend a styling product that will give me lovely tousled beachy waves as it dries in the rain/gale the sun?

Thanks muchly

Poodlehorse Mon 01-Aug-11 14:03:37

salt spray?

AutumnWitch Mon 01-Aug-11 14:36:25

Depends if the tide's out wink or I could always fill a spray bottle with England's finest ?

Something a little kinder maybe?

Mumelie Mon 01-Aug-11 18:41:39

Maybe get it chemically straightened (the Brazillian Blow Dry0 - might help with the frizz

usualsuspect Mon 01-Aug-11 18:43:36

Most sites I've stayed on have plugs for using your own hairdryers/straighteners
in the shower blocks

iWILLdothis Mon 01-Aug-11 19:05:04

I use dry shampoo, then scrunch with Boots pink curl cream or some kind of mousse, put up in a messy up-do and spritz with hairspray to keep it in place.

AutumnWitch Mon 01-Aug-11 19:22:25

Thanks for the ideas, so; will pack straighteners/dryer (if space) and hope (no info, but very new site) and practice up-do's

Maryz Mon 01-Aug-11 19:25:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Zwitterion Mon 01-Aug-11 19:27:17

Second boots curl creme. I rough dry mine, scrunch it through, then put damp hair up into a messy bun (sock bun Iearnt here). Unravel later in the day for lovely curls.

Or I wear a hat!

SixtyFootDoll Mon 01-Aug-11 19:27:25

That's whybinalways pay extra for electric hook up. grin

Zwitterion Mon 01-Aug-11 19:27:42

X post Mary!

SixtyFootDoll Mon 01-Aug-11 19:27:58

What's a sock bun?

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 01-Aug-11 19:29:16

You could try moroccan/argan oil, have a trail run beforehand to try it out - or switch to the Curly girl method. Lots of MNers seem to swear by it.

Zwitterion Mon 01-Aug-11 19:37:12

bun

Zwitterion Mon 01-Aug-11 19:39:46

Errmm sorry about that. Search You Tube for 'how to curl your hair with a sock - no heat method'

AutumnWitch Mon 01-Aug-11 20:17:16

Hmm... hats are a good idea (lead by example for DSs). I must finally learn to put my hair up - those videos look very useful. Watch out for a woman with wonky hair smile

Curly girl looks like a long commitment WWWY - I'm after a short fix before going back to normal.

Got the last pitch, so no hook-up. Never had it before, but beginning to see the use.

Thanks folks

brokenlady Mon 01-Aug-11 20:24:27

I have just returned from a week camping in France. Normally I sport a chic little short bob but it requires a good blow dry and straightners. Therefore, I returned to my natural wavy / beach hair look. Pop some sort of product through it and let it dry naturally. Or as others have said, wear a hat!

cruelladepoppins Mon 01-Aug-11 20:53:28

Here's what I do:

wet hair, towel or squeeze a bit, apply conditioner (John Frieda Frizz-Ease Curl Around, around a £2 coin size blob for my thick mid-length hair), don't rinse, leave to dry curly, comb out briefly with fingers or afro comb.

Beamur Mon 01-Aug-11 20:59:34

I've just got back from a weeks camping and have had v bad camping hair for most of that time...big frizzy mop.

Mammonite Mon 01-Aug-11 23:04:02

After two days camping last week (also France), I released my inner eight year old and bought some hairslides and mini clips. So it was still a frizzy mop but I could at least control the volume on top. I just put in curl cream and leave it to dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now